1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Skiing over Uni Break - Accomodation, Season Pass

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Stan90, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Stan90

Stan90 Early Days

Hi! :)
    I'm new here, but have been a passionate student of skiing for a few years now and have a few weeks at Thredbo + two seasons in Korea under my belt.

I'm a Sydney based student looking into the possibility of going skiing for the entirety of my Uni break from ~21st June - ~26th July.

Accommodation:
    My
    accommodation budget would be about ~$500 a week, and I have a front wheel drive hatchback (+ tire chains) I could use to get around.

Considering the 4+ week length of my intended stay, I'd need somewhere to sleep, shower, do laundry and cook - Hotels / Motels / Lodges would hence appear to be impractical and unaffordable.

Would looking for something like a studio / flatshare in Jindabyne be my best option (...or even possible)?

Season Pass / Resort:

My first choice was Thredbo, owing to familiarity, vertical drop and run length, but;
    1. They're not offering Season Passes.
    2. The crowds / lift lines I experienced there last winter were unbearable at times. (Anybody there during the polar vortex, when they shut down the Kosciusko Exp.... then Gunbarrel... probably knows what I'm talking about :confused:)

If my priorities are to;
    1. Maximize time spent going downhill on groomers
    2. Minimize time on lifts / in lift lines
    3. At a reasonable cost
    Would an Epic Pass (Perisher / Hotham / Falls Creek) be a good second choice?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks! :)

2. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The covid might have something to say about your plan....

3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

If you’ve ruled out Thredbo, there really is no other choice.

4. Stan90

Stan90 Early Days

I'm not sure I understand.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/what-you-can-and-cant-do-under-rules#travel

or would it be irresponsible of me to try such a trip?

5. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Trip is doable. I think what they mean about Corona virus, is that the resorts have put a lot of restrictions in place and are limiting numbers, so you need to pre book

epic pass definitely best for the length of skiing. And falls/Hotham probably less busy over that period.

Rick Ross Da Boss and Stan90 like this.
  6. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Your main problems will be the cost and availability of accommodation. expect to pay $200-300 a night at a minimum if you can find vacancy. $500 a week will be very hard unless you can get into a share house which normally require commitment for the full season (16 weeks usually)

7. chicski

Get a tent!

DidSurfNowSki, skifree and skichanger like this.
  8. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hey there bud. I am also a full time uni student and I did the entire stint at Perisher for my uni holiday last year.

What the guys are talking about is 100% spot on. Accomodation will be your absolute biggest killer and it isnt close. I am very lucky, my lodge has super cheap rates for members and is on the snow so that is part of the planning process.

Driving up every day is a huge killer as well. Is going to cost you a lot in petrol.
    You also can't do it at Thredders anymore because days are sold out I believe so it will be an epic pass at one of the 3 vail owned resorts. This will also hugely reduce your cost.

Most places with cheap accomodation (I.e. lodges and the sation etc) are being very cagey on their plans atm. I agree with @chicski. A tent is 100% the place to do it

Now for you requests
    Perisher isnt much better. It comes with the territory of skiing in the school holdiays. Not a lot you can do about that I am afraid

Anymore questions let me know. Would love to help you out

Stan90, Ted Harper and Billy_Buttons like this.
  9. Sage Oya

Kings swag and camping is probably the most viable option for uni student. But for 4 weeks straight the novelty would well and truly wear off. Need to check if island bend is already booked out too.

Stan90 and skull like this.
  10. Stan90

Stan90 Early Days

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I'd be able to make use one of those other resorts if one was booked out.

That would sink my plans! :emoji_astonished:
    Any idea where I could start with sharehouses?

I can flip my underwear only so many times.

11. chicski

You’re a boy. 4 days a pair. Wash in the river.

malas1 and Stan90 like this.
  12. Sage Oya

Have a look at the looking to live around jindabyne facebook page.

Having said that I honestly think you will find it extremely hard to find somewhere that will rent you a room for 4 weeks within your budget. For a 4 week stay your'e going to have to pay full price (hotel rates).

If you were looking to rent the full season you might be able to get a pretty average flat for $600-$1000 a week. But who knows, maybe with Covid you'll find a great deal. Best of luck with it anyway :thumbs:

Stan90 likes this.
  13. Stan90

Stan90 Early Days

Awesome! Thanks for the offer, it's good to know somebody's pulled it off.

I'll have to live with the lines. :emoji_family_mwgb::emoji_family::emoji_family_mmg::emoji_family_mmbb::emoji_family_mmgg:
    I figure the skitube for Perisher would cut out a lot of slippery driving, another benefit in favor of a Epic Pass...

... but it looks like this is the issue that would stop me.
    It sounds like a room and a bed might be out of the question for my budget -
    as a complete camping newbie I guess I'd have to look into how to live out of a tent / car for a month?

:emoji_boy::emoji_bath:

14. Stan90

Stan90 Early Days

Membership pending, I'll give the die a roll.

Thanks! :thumbs:

Sage Oya likes this.
  15. Rick Ross Da Boss

Getting a months worth of lift tickets/booked days may pose a problem, the masses seem to be booking it all now!!:eek:

Stan90 likes this.
  16. Rick Ross Da Boss

Where there’s a will there’s a way though :thumbs:

Stan90 and Budgiesmuggler like this.
  17. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Regarding accom what you need is a local that could do with some cash and has a spare room available that could shuffle some stuff around for a short stay, how you'd find that without having connections in the community I don't know. Are you a member of a church or Volunteer group ? they may be able to out you in touch with groups in the area. You'd need some pretty good references available to vouch for you, say a couple of uni professors or the business owner of a place you've worked at casually (business emails, not your mate posing as a dude). Just thinking outside the box.....good luck with the adventure.

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  18. Stan90

Stan90 Early Days

'fraid not, got into skiing pretty late and have always been a bit of an outsider :emoji_face_palm:.
    Thanks for the ideas though!

19. Crystal

You don't need a skiing local :) just a local

20. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Might be worth looking at hiring a van that has modern comforts - not via the usual channels but via an alternative system where people rent out their rigs (bit like airBNB on wheels). You can then camp in relative comfort, close to the ski areas.
    Another understated option is campstays on farms in the local area. Shearers quarters, older houses etc would definitely be worth renting out for a few hundred a week? You will need to think creatively.

21. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If you are going to camp, there is a camping thread on here that may be worth a look into. Just put as many feelers out to places as you can, you never know where you might get lucky.

22. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

there is no ski tube pass this year with Epic so you have to pay each day.

23. Stan90

Stan90 Early Days

I've picked up an Epic Season Pass, and managed to find accommodation in Jindabyne for around ~$450 a week thanks to ->
    I'm waiting until Perisher opens booking for pass holders on the 23rd before I commit to dates for accommodation, and picked up some swag that will let me camp in my car if I have to (something I didn't really consider / took too lightly until it was suggested to me multiple times).

Thank you to everyone here for all the useful advice!
    :)

24. Crystal

Good to see it working out for you..... post lots of pics of your time on snow :)

25. Stan90

Stan90 Early Days

Say Hi if you see the bunny hat LOL. I'm spending most my time at the Village 8 express.

About staying in East Jindabyne and driving to the resort:
    So far, with the clear weather, it's been an easy 40 minute, 40km trip. With a small fwd hatchback i average about 7.3l/100km, which comes to about 7 bucks in petrol for each round trip.
    Things might change if/when I have to put on snowchains and crawl along at 40.
    Getting there at 8:00am or earlier, Parking has been totally fine.

About Perisher:
    Front valley was the only serviced slope open until today, and was an OK place to do drills / get ones snow legs back. Goats Gully, serviced by the perisher quad express, was a nice change of pace but a little too traversally for me.
    Queues were very short, and the slopes not too crowded, especially with the opening of Goats Gully.
    (GS types would have to do some dodging though.)

Attached Files:

skifree likes this.
  26. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Never go up without 1/2 tank of fuel. On a bad trip down it can take a couple of hours and you’ll want to keep the engine running.

JM72, Stan90 and Ted Harper like this.
  27. Stan90

Stan90 Early Days

That would be painful. Thanks for the tip