Skiing Snowy Mountains

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by GCoops, May 16, 2017.

1. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I bet that was a crap year.

2. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Think it was 2015 they had to run the GS on Friday Flat, so they did it at night to spice it up a bit. Was actually pretty good.

3. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

They run GS on FV every year. Generally all divisions barring perhaps div 1&2 which could end up on MIL dependant upon snow, weather etc. But for regional events you can pretty much guarantee that all divisions ski and SB will run GS down FV and SX/BX in Centre Valley. Scots Cup, also FV.

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Things have changed since I went to Interschools. Back then it was Mother In Law and an obscure spot around the corner from Brumby T Bar

5. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Upper Rollercoaster. They still use that occasionally, perhaps more for state/national level than regional though. Same for MIL. Early season, chances are MIL won't be open. Also Brumby T is where moguls are run, so I guess they don't want 2 events using Brumby T at the same time. In bad weather we've had div 1 GS down FV, they just extend the course to start right at the top, skiers right of V8.

6. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

It varies depending on conditions. My kids have done every event on Front Valley at some time. But have also done events at Guthega, Blue Cow and some other weird locations at Perisher. I think Smiggins is the only place they have not had events at.

7. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

There is another Alpine course that finishes near the bottom of the Brumby t-bar. It is very obscure and you would not realise it was likely to be a course except when it is in use.

8. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

That's upper roller coaster. Turn right off the top of the t bar and double back.

9. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Lidner at Guthega was used for a few years for junior GS, one year they built a sx course on Possums at Guthega. These days they tend to stick to the same runs, which gives the Perisher kids a bit of an advantage!

10. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Yep sounds like the same place. Well you learn something new everyday. I thought it was called something else but could not remember the name. Only ever had the kids compete there once.

11. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Its a bit annoying sometimes when they close it off , even if you want to do a few laps of Brumby bar, never actually seen anyone race there , just closed off.
    We did see a ramp also set up there last year in the area between the run and the t-bar, with some girls doing aerials training.

12. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

It's used a lot in race training, which is why it gets closed off.

WaitAwhile likes this.
  13. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Raced on Upper Rollercoaster for Navy Championships one year (shocking weather so Brumby T was pretty much only lift open). It is insanely short for a GS. I think the winning time was about 25sec per run.

14. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

The ramp is the moguls air site. You never know who you may be lucky enough to see training there if you pass by at the right time.

skifree likes this.