1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Skimaxs buller report

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by skimax, Jun 25, 2007.

1. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Well its been probably 20 years since i overnighted on Buller and probably 10 since i last skiied there.So here is my report and obs on what ive noticed since i was there last..

Village
    Much , much improved in terms of infrastructure and aesthetics.
    Well done ,
    paved roads, transport interchange , village square , day shelter ( plaza) all excellent.
    Re-routing of the summit access road behind the lodges on Bourke street( okay this has been done for a long time) means the pedestrian road up from bottom of village to abom is very pleasant indeed .

Snowmaking
    whooah huuge investment here, and certainly key to Bullers viability . Big tick and if anyone whinges at the cost of a ticket thats where your money is going ..

Weather was excellent on the weekend , i have never seen Buller so cloud free ( not many people know that Buller is aboriginal for "place with cloud all over it " [​IMG] )

Eats /drinks etc
    Dinner , ate at uncle pats .. Good food , prices , particularly for drinks were superb and very unalpine like ..
    Breakfast
    Incredulously pancake place was not open for breakfast on Sunday morning , saw at least 15 people turn up and walk away in a 5 minute period ( Dudes its your money )
    Kofflers as always busy and drinks /food great
    Abom for lunch , plenty of space good pizzas and plenty of variety in your choices of lunch food , ski in ski out a great choice..

Tourists
    Noticed a huuge number of domestic and foreign sightseers up on Buller . Probably could do with a bit more assistance in directing them to ( ticket office , tobbagan slopes , etc) as many looked lost and had trouble transferring onto intra village shuttles to get to the snow play area above the Arlberg.
    Think a resort services/info person right at the bus drop off point in the village would be a good idea ( im sure they are there some times [​IMG]

Intra Village shuttle buses.
    Hallejuja . Very necessary as to put it bluntly my +1 would not stay on mountain ( except at places like pension grimus) due to the lousy logistics of getting in and around the village)
    Great stuff .

Latrobe University building .
    OMG cant think of a bigger eyesore since the yellow peril . Guess it complements the Kooroora though.

Karoora
    Is that place still standing, I thought it was going to fall over when i was there whilst at Uni in the 80"s. It must be only the accumulated grease in the exhaust ducts and beer stains keeping it from falling apart.

Snow conditions
    North face of the mountain needs another 20 cm to get running but a good base . They were however pumping heaps of snow onto the emirates run and its probably not far away .
    Chamois lift opened to mid station on Sunday with Canyon tow access to standard run open
    Best snow
    Little Buller spur , great conditions
    Boomerang also good .

Standard run open but with what looks like a good cover , but some hidden base killing rocks appearing under the surface on Sunday . Ski with care here or dont bother .

All in all a great weekend and congrats to the team at Buller for a big improvement in the village and surrouds.

#1 skimax, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. SkiMun

SkiMun Part of the Furniture

Skiers right on Summit was the pick of the day for me. I wouldn't call it powder but it was dry enough.

3. skimax

yes it was nice there indeed .
    Unreal low humidity and temps were great for the snow and snowmaking in general methinks

4. igor

igor Hard Yards

Sunday was a good day. I was surprised how good the snow quality was. Looking at Saturdays temps of +6 I thought it would be mushy, I am glad i was wrong though. A few people on the lift had the LBS as the pick of the bunch, i only tried it once. in general i don’t like LBS as its not steep enough and the lift lines are always there. Rode mainly summit, such a pity its not a longer run. but without lift lines it was up and down all day.

Hasn't anyone noticed the car that went off the road somewhere half way down the mountain? We went past around 5:30ish there were a few cars parked by the road and some ppl going down the side. I didnt actually see the car so I assume this is what happened. We were passed by a cop car and an ambulance on the road to Mainsfield.

5. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

This comment of yours I found interesting. Are you suggesting that it is less hassle to stay off mountain than it is to stay in the lodges past Chamois (for example)? Do you ever go to Hotham because that is not a good village lay out for ease of getting anywhere. Obviously you aren't fans of the village taxi's but when you compare it to what happens at Falls Creek it is pretty good.

#5 Seth, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. skimax

seth my comments were limited to buller observations only not other resorts.
    Yes falls is not good intra village either . again as per buller when we stay there we stay at places that avoid the need to travel intra village alot , just like buller .eg skiin skiout to wombats ramble.
    Its the same at all resorts , thats why in perisher we stay at smiggs hotel , ski in ski out and park 15 m from the hotel front door .
    My comment referred to the complete lack of transport intravillage at buller of years past ,to what they have now.

7. fx 140 ski freek

fx 140 ski freek Hard Yards

nice obs there skimax