Advice needed Skins vs Crown/fish scale XC Classic skis

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
I am considering buying a pair of waxless classic cross country skis for the next season as I've had skate skis for quite a while, really enjoyed them but would love to start doing classic skiing a bit more.

Does anyone have any experience with the new skin base classic skis? Are they any good and worth spending the extra money over the older technology crowns, fish scales waxless skis?

Any help would be much appreciated :)
Thanks

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
No experience and don't know anyone who is using.

I know technology has move on, but back in the 80s i had a friend who got some xc skis with mohair strips in the base. On our icy trails they got ripped to shreds in a few days. I'd be wanting some evidence that the new ones can cope with icey conditions

Last edited:
Reactions: TeleXC

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I looked at these in WS this season. But did not get a chance to demo them.

Having used mohair skins on my bc rig i can say they work very well in cold snow.

In wet snow the skin gets wet, then if the temp drops the water in the skin freezes and they don't work so well.

This is a very particular circumstance & rarely crops up in trail skiing. It crops up long day touring now and then if you are late in the day.

In Aus conditions I'd use the zero type base over the mohair base unles it was a fresh cold powder day.

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.
Zero base skis work pretty well most of the time in our conditions. They don't have good grip in hard icy tracks, and they may ice up in cold new snow -3 or lower. There is a spray that can be applied to the bases to help prevent the icing. I have found that Zardoz NOTwax works as well if there is a tendancy for the skils to ice up.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
What others have said. They're not really made for Australian conditions - more for Scandinavian conditions. Careful also with the use of the word 'waxless'. Means you don't need grip wax. You still need glide wax. (but I'm sure you're aware of that) And any paste or liquid wax will help with de-icing on the grip zone.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Thanks for the advice everyone I am glad I came on here and asked. I wasn't aware that they might not be suitable for Aussie conditions and seeing as I go to lake mountain most of the time and the snow is usually wet It might be safest for me to go with the traditional waxless base. Oh yes teckel! I think we brought some easy glide from you quite a while ago I use it on on my telemark skis, makes quite a difference!

Reactions: teckel

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I think classic trail skis is where it is worth building a choice in your ski rack and be able to pull out the best ski for the conditions and how you feel. And I would include a mohair skin XC ski in the rack after a traditional pattern base ski.

Aus conditions have a very broad range and it pays to have a choice of XC classic skis to suit.

You do not go out and buy them all at once unless you have cash like water. But if you add a new ski each year to the fleet before you know it the most difficult part of the XC day is choosing what to pull out of the wagon in the car park.:cool:

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
I think classic trail skis is where it is worth building a choice in your ski rack and be able to pull out the best ski for the conditions and how you feel. And I would include a mohair skin XC ski in the rack after a traditional pattern base ski.

Aus conditions have a very broad range and it pays to have a choice of XC classic skis to suit.

You do not go out and buy them all at once unless you have cash like water. But if you add a new ski each year to the fleet before you know it the most difficult part of the XC day is choosing what to pull out of the wagon in the car park.:cool:

That sounds like a smart way to approach it. I have been looking at the mohair skin classics just now, it turns out that they have different skins for different conditions so I might get a soft-medium and perhaps borrow some tradional pattern base skis from family if the conditions don't suit.

Reactions: skifree

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Is your intended use on groomed trails? Pretty much all the advice above assumes this.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
The zero base skis sound like a really good choice for lake mountain, unfortunately I couldn't find any at store I was purchasing from so I ended up ordering the Salomon aero 9 skin ski with Salomon propulse binding and one way poles. Can't wait for next season to begin will hopefully write up a little review on the ski forums of how they perform when we get some snow!
71103908_711_039_08.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass