Advice needed Skis for 8 year old

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Peanut, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

I’m in the process of organising this year’s trip to Queenstown, and my 8 year old who has snowboarded for the last two years and not gotten off the beginners slope at Remarks has said he thinks he may want to ski this year like the rest of the family. I had initially planned to learn to board with him, but decided it wasn’t for me after about 3 hours, which is why we didn’t push him toward skiing in the first place. Also, he has autism and was set on snowboarding, and I didn’t want to deal with the meltdowns that would have happened if we’d pushed him to ski at the time.

I bought a pair of second hand K2 Juvi’s for Mstr 10 last year. They are 129cm long and seemed a good length for him at the time. He’s currently around 140-145cm tall (I’m 161cm tall and he just comes up to my shoulder) and I think he weighs around 35kg. Mstr 8 is about 3cm shorter than Mstr 10, and is about 3kg heavier. My initial instinct is to keep the K2 Juvi’s for Mstr 10 and see what I can pick up second hand for Mstr 8 in around the same length closer to the start of the season. Or would it be better to put Mstr 8 on the Juvi’s and see about picking up a longer set for Mstr 10? Mstr 10 hasn’t yet learned parallel turns, but I anticipate that he will learn how to do them this year, as the instructor he had last year said to put him in a level 3A class when we come back this year. Up to this point he has been comfortable doing blue runs in snowplough. There are times when his snowplough on blue runs is faster than my parallel turns and I’ve had to put on a burst of speed to catch up.

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass: Gold

I have some pretty ancient Rossi Bandits in 120 free to a good home. Lower North shore of Sydney.

piolet likes this.
  3. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

Are you able to get to Jindy for the opening weekend ski sale.?

4. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

Probably not. I live near Newcastle. I did pretty well buying second hand gear on Gumtree/ebay last year, so that is what I was planning on doing again. In saying that, my mum lives in Queanbeyan, so I could get down that way if I absolutely had to.

5. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

We got a set of near new 139 and 145s for $50 and $100 bucks.

Retail new were 500 and 650.

It's a good spot for skis.
    You'd be looking at somewhere around 115/120 size no?

piolet likes this.
  6. davekinkead

davekinkead Hard Yards

K2 Juvy's are great, just watch the length. My 10yo got a pair (119cm) when she was 7 and they were a little too long. They are now too short (129 would be perfect) but she still loves them because they are so agile. I found Amada Bantams (109cm) for my 7yo last season and they were spot on.

As a general rule of thumb - kids skis should come to the bottom of their chin (inc twin tips). Shorter is better for beginners, piste, and park skiing as they are much easier to turn and they'll enjoy skiing so much more (kids do a heap of thigh steering from the back seat). Only get longer skis when they can carve a clean turn or are ready for offpiste.

It might also be better to hire for Mstr 8 if you are only skiing a couple of weeks a year. Enjoy!

piolet likes this.
  7. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

Wow, that’s possibly worth the drive.

I’m not 100% sure what size to get. I know that shorter is better for beginners, but Mstr 8 is tall and heavy for his age. I think he’s getting up around 140cm.

8. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

120 I reckon.
    If you go to the sale. You need to arrive early.
    With cash.

Peanut likes this.
  9. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I wouldn't go any longer than 110's to start him off.

I'm pretty sure I have a good pair with adjustable bindings. I'd be happy to give you for free to help your little man out and to keep him from the dark side of snowboarding. I live on the Gold Coast. If you want to pay the freight I'll send them down to you.

piolet and elSpike like this.
  10. elSpike

elSpike Hard Yards

I’ll pay the freight if that’s what needs to happen. Anti-boarders unite!

piolet likes this.
  11. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I'll PM you.