Sky scanner - price variations?

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Choppers, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Choppers

Choppers Hard Yards

Looking to book return flights to Calgary on 31st Jan for 2 ish weeks, prefer Air Canada.

Is it normal for prices to fluctuate wildly? 3 weeks ago saw it for $1100 and it’s crept up to $1700ish now.

Not sure whether to book or hold on. Thoughts?

2. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Ski Pass - Gold

Short answer on fluctuations . Yes.

Use incognito mode. They ratchet up the prices each time you check. They're trying to get you to purchase right away.

Price also varies on number of passengers. eg. If only 2 cheap ticket left and one sells. Prices for 2 peeps goes up. Yet prices for 1 doesn't. You have to wait and see if they release more cheap seats.

And lastly. The secret to Skyscanner is. Set a good price you are prepared to pay. If that price gets offered. Pull the trigger immediately.

coolair and malas1 like this.
  3. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

And don't look at Skyscanner again for that trip !!!

piolet likes this.
  4. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

5. Choppers

Choppers Hard Yards

Thanks. I have tried resetting cookies already and flight is for one person.

Hopefully they’ve drop a bit. I almost booked at $1100 too. Lesson learnt!

Grrrr

6. Astro66

Ski Pass - Gold

Then the cheap tickets sold. They may release more. They may not.

Jan 2019 will be my 9th Nth American holiday in a row. I have always used skyscanner. I have always pulled the trigger the second I saw a good price, from Feb of the previous year.

7. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Yes prices can swing wildly over a few weeks. Different airlines will release specials and then as fare classes sell out the fares go up. Now if load factors stay low for select dates then the airline can release more of the cheap fare class. Your challenge is to try to guess the demand and competition on a particular route to know when to buy. Good luck with that.

A little help.
    https://thepointsguy.com/2015/05/what-airline-fare-classes-tell-you-about-your-ticket/

8. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Google Flights and it’s more complex relation, ITA matrix are essential in any flight searches.

oldgeezer and Ozgirl like this.
  9. Crystal

I also find the use of a travel agent works well in these cases...if she knows I have not been able to secure FF flights or cheapy early bird flights on my own she will often email and say more seats have been released and do I want to pull the trigger.

10. Astro66

Ski Pass - Gold

I got burnt by Flight Centre, when I went to them with a cheap price. I had used them always previously.

I found a good price on Skyscanner 10 months before the flights, on a Tuesday morning. I Rang them after checking the price was still available, Sat morning. They told me they wouldn't match it over the phone and I had to print it out and come in.

I printed it and went straight in. No more than 30mins later. Gave the printout to them. Tap, Tap, Tap on the computer for about 5 mins. I'm thinking she's booking the flights.

Knowing there was no date on the quote, I'm then asked if the printout has a date, because she can no longer get the prices, and it would be $1000 more. I check on my phone. The flight out of Sydney has suddenly had all the cheap seats booked.

I check the day before. No problem. I check the day after. No problem. Just that one flight. Smelling a rat. I say thanks anyway and walk out.

I keep checking the price at home, and 48Hrs later, the cheap price is back. And I book the flights, with Skidoo, who was offerring it online.

Clearly, Miss Tappy Tap Tap, had put holds on the cheap tickets out of Sydney, pushing me into the more expensive tickets.

After he swindle failed, the seats release. And then I'm able to book them.

I then check for the next 3 weeks (till I was sick of doing it), and the price remains available, changing slightly on exchange rates.

NEVER EVER trust FlightCentre. They are Farking Scammers.

BTW. After the experience I downloaded a documentary about FlightCentre in England. They have been scamming the unwary for years.

skull and Choppers like this.
  11. Crystal

Did you go back and basically tell them what you had written here ? I would have, I would of been livid. Even if they don't admit it or you get nothing out of it, just to have the satisfaction of saying....I know what you'r doing and it's not right, and I managed to get my cheap flights after all your failed "hold" reservations fell through.

12. Choppers

Choppers Hard Yards

Wow. Surely that’s illegal? I’ve never liked FlightCentre anyway but will avoid them for good now. Thanks for the tip.

Astro66 likes this.
  13. Astro66

Ski Pass - Gold

So the documentary showed that the agents were trained to actually charge customers the most they could, rather than trying to find the cheapest price.

A sting was setup. On the same day, at the same time, two people went to two different FlightCentre stores in London, to book the exact same flight. One an elderly man. The other a young hipster.

The hipster, after flicking through his phone, was given a price nearly $1000 cheaper than the elderly bloke, who just asked if that was the best price. It was a complete rort.

I was livid with FlightCentre for my treatment, but upon realizing the rot goes to the highest level in the company. Thought it pointless to pursue it with them. And have taken to sharing my experience everywhere.

cold wombat likes this.
  14. Choppers

Choppers Hard Yards

UPDATE:

I flushed my browser cookies which I had tried before which had no effect on price.But on a hunch also used a different VPN location in the UK rather than in Aus.

Lo and behold the exact same flights that were A$1730 on Skyscanner popped up at £703 = A$1250ish so even cheaper than previously found!!!!

Perhaps they use IP address rather than cookies to keep the (higher) pricing consistent for people frequently checking the price on the same flights on their site?

Astro66 and Crystal like this.
  15. Crystal

^^ did you book ?

16. Astro66

Ski Pass - Gold

They are cheeky buggers like that.

17. Choppers

Choppers Hard Yards

Yes!! $1261 all up. Very happy with the price after leaving late last year.

Fernie or Kicking Horse here I come!!

Kimski, azzski and Crystal like this.
  18. Crystal

Go Kicking Horse :)

Choppers likes this.
  19. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Different country's websites will often offer better prices for the exact same service/product. A few years ago I bought $770 return flights to LA on expedia.ie (the Irish website), which were considerably more expensive on the Aussie site. Also I often use the UK car rental sites for bookings in North America.

Choppers likes this.
  20. Choppers

Choppers Hard Yards

Haha It will be my 3rd year back to KH so leaning to Fernie. KH does tick all my boxes though. Still can’t decide.....

21. Crystal

okay Fernie then ;)

Choppers likes this.
  22. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

I hear what you say but I am dubious that Skyscanner is ratcheting up the price on repeated queries. I know that some on-line businesses do it to loyal customers but it would be very logistically difficult for skyscanner to do it. They are scanning prices for many on-line travel agents agents to adjust them all is a big logistical challenge. Unless my first search gives me a really good fare and I have sorted my whole trip and ready to book then I am using other fare engines as well such as Kayak and tripadvisor and used to use Zuji. I also compare to airline websites. I will pay an extra $100 book with the airline because when flight times change or things go wrong it is much simpler when you do not have to work through an agent and can talk direct to the airline. I book 3 & 4 international trips per year and I plan in detail before I book checking prices many times and play with alternative dates, routes etc. I have not seen a pattern of prices going up that appears other than the cheap seats being sold. However sometimes I have rescued a great deal because the airline has kept the last few cheap seats for themselves and I can still get it on the airline website or one on-line agent is still selling it. I have found that if you have paid for the deal even though it is finished they honour it once payment has gone through.

oldgeezer likes this.