1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Sleeping Bag recommendation

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by FatBoyDave, Aug 16, 2019.

1. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Looking for a warmer sleeping bag.
    I do some multiday hiking in Tas, Vic and aspiring to do some (domestic) Alpine Camping.
    I have a friend who has one of the Mont Zodiac range bags and loves it for hiking.
    I have some other Mont equipment and the quality is excellent.

I was thinking that if Alpine Camping some sort of water resistance on the outside of the bag would be a v good idea so was looking at the Kiandra or Brindabella bag.
    https://www.mont.com.au/sleeping-ba...rectangular-xt-sleeping-bags?cat=&technology=

Does anyone have any experience with either of these or want to suggest something else?
    From what I can gather I'm an "average" sleeper, so don't sleep over hot or cold.

2. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

Can highly recommend the mont telemark bag

3. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

My experience with full water proof bags were they were a barstad to dry and clean. So sold mine on.

And spent more money on the tent.

I’ll have to check what the current bag is, it’s nice and toasty. I didn’t do the purchase.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Kiandra would be too much for Oz IMO, if you're not a cold sleeper.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  5. teleroo

teleroo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Mont and One Planet are the top Aussie companies, but may manufacture overseas. Usually you'll want 800g or more of top quality down for winter in Aus. I just bought a Mont Main Range (second hand) for my daughter who was a cold sleeper. 1000g of fill in a mummy shape. It's heaps fluffy. She was getting cold in my wife's One Planet Bushlite Super whilst camping at Lake Eucumbene.

The old rule of thumb back in the day in Canberra was a good winter sleeping bag always cost about a week's wages (think mid level public service I guess, so about $1000 today?).

As to "waterproofing" I can take it or leave it. I've got Gore Dryloft on my One Planet bag, but reckon a good tent solves most problems wrt moisture. There was a really warm bag for sale on the forum here a little while ago, plus a bloke selling a Bushlite Super with extra down added. Both seemed good value for decent bits of kit.

6. teleroo

7. Ziggy

These days they spec both loft and weight as down quality comes in a range.

8. whether

whether Hard Yards

Hi FBD, I have had a zodiac 500 for over 15 years now and whilst its not waterproof have used it own to -5 and still been warm. I would consider myself an average sleeper, Like you I like Mont.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  9. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

this info will be of no use at all
    in 1960 my grandmother took me to Paddy Pallin to get a hiking pack and a sleeping bag for my birthday
    I’ll be in the sleeping bag tonight at the lodge
    it leaves little grey feathers everywhere, otherwise nice and warm

JM72 and GS like this.
  10. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My Marmot Helium has been a good investment. Only weighs 1 kilogram and is fine for snow camping in a good tent. I usually use a Thermarest All Season mat with it.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  11. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I've got a Salewa bag, I've since about 95. Great piece of kit. If using in winter I put it inside a goretex bivi bag to provide an extra bit of protection from moisture.

12. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I prefer to err on the side of a bag that's too warm provided it has a side zip to open. I really dislike being uncomfortably cool, and I like to sleep in just underwear. Bags tend to get a bit damp after a few nights and can suddenly be no where near as warm, particularly towards morning IME.

Mid winter I still use a 30 year old J&H Winterlite and sometimes a Bushlite for spring trips. Was given an old Fairydown Everest with Entrant outer that has only been used for 5 nights!...it's like new but is very bulky and weighs in at about 2.1kg. Really only good for vehicle based camping for cold sleepers. Awesome bag though.

Attached Files:

#12 GS, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    whether and Snow Blowey like this.
  13. teleroo

Yes I know. But all the good bags have pretty good down, though it seems nowadays you can choose your loft rating as well as an option.

14. Ziggy

We have loft ratings to avoid subjective judgements like 'pretty good'.

15. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

16. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think water resistance should be a priority if you have a good tent or bivvy. In fact..it would seems silly to get a high end bag and an untrustworthy tent. So I wouldn't pay for water resistance unless portaledginging.
    Personally ...i would prioritise a full length zipper, v good head and neck baffles for sealing., and preferred volume (some like tight..some like roomy).
    Mountain equipment (uk brand) bags always seem v well made and specced to me...and most importantly...have temp ratings that seem to realistically match the specs

FatBoyDave likes this.
  17. Ziggy

WR plays its strongest role with respect to condensation at the foot.
    Some bags only add it there.

I've got a Zodiac 500 - about 2 degrees is my comfort limit in that. And a Mont Spindrift -14 with Hydronaute shell but not DWR down. About -5 is my comfort limit in that. I sleep cold when I'm tired.

18. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

If you carry a warm jacket or parka for standing around time in camp then in my experience it makes sense from a pack weight perspective to use this same insulation for sleeping in, the trouble is that most sleeping bags are cut too skinny to allow this method of saving weight. One that is an Expedition cut and a very vapour permeable shell fabric is the One Planet Cocoon but my experience with this fabric tells me that here in our soggy winters you really do need a secondary WPB shell
    https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/sleeping-bags/down/cocoon/
    I've used a superlight old Mountain Designs Foxhole bivvy over my Ultra for the last 30 years, probably part of the reason it has lasted so well.
    Like Ziggy I sleep cold when tired and like most people over 45YO I have the age related lowering of sleep time basal metabolism, which equates to about 5C for every decade after 25YO when buying sleeping bags. So a system rated for -30C when I was 30 in now only good for -10C and lower than that when exhausted etc