Question Slushie Machine?

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Tom from Melbourne, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne First Runs

I saw a photo on instagram of the slushie machine being delivered to Bawbs, but wanted to know anyone knew where it was being placed, when they plan to test it, and what extra additional coverage will it provide?

(will this mean Summit run is a likely starter for Queens birthday?)

2. Darzee

Darzee Hard Yards

Its just slightly uphill and left of Hut Run

3. fenrir

fenrir Hard Yards

That pile of snow doesn't look like enough to build the t bar run, never mind the downhill.
    Full marks for effort but they are going to need more than that given they don't have a chair.

4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I read the BB blurb a while ago.I think its a great idea but i didnt get the idea that it would get the whole summit run covered.

I think it its planned to help the bottoms of 3-4 runs/areas.

Fwiw: I believe BB plan /want to spread SM up the summit & add a chair for bikes.

Not sure I see any Vic Govt keen to help out - perhaps if one could play footy, soccer or cricket there it would happen??

5. djam

djam One of Us

The govt gave BB and lake mountain a combined $6.7+ million last year. Seems like a lot of help already and
    that is not including the $1.5-2 million that the slushie machine must of cost them recently.

Onlybackscratchers likes this.
  6. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I wish my cricket club with views towards Baw Baw could get some funding for the cockchauffer problem, the drainage issue in October and the non irrigated, knee shredding rock hard ground in February. Also how about a change room for the girls now playing?

Someone has to have the balls to say it, the taxpayers money wasted up there is a joke. By my estimates a downhill skiier is being subsided close to $100 per day!

7. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I dont doubt your problem with hopeless facilities. There must be dozens if not hundreds of grounds in Vic alone desperately needing an upgrade. My son’s Prinary school oval is just a dirt patch with the odd patch of grass here & there so I here you.

But to be the small hills are playing carch up - we’ll never know how many millions were spent on the big 3 since the eatly days - how did they get electricity & water? Decent roads & gas?
    ARC buildings too?

And theres really only 2 small hills close to Melbourne. Theres no alternative without a long drive. The others, Gwinear,, Stirling & Buffalo are not really resorts & offer a wilder experience but yes they teceive funding.

I’d happily take the untaxed $ from big multinats to fund these public assets but pigs might fly first!

Not an easy equation to balance - no snowmaking really menans the end if the small hills.

8. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

I believe the plan is to use the slushie machine (same snow factory as Buller is running) to generate enough snow to service the main bowl (hut run to tower 2) and a new learners ski area up big hill and bottom of tank hill.

Then extend some snow and push/relocate some to the main toboggan park which now has a magic carpet too and other parts of the resort as needs.

Cost I heard is not excessive...$250k to hire/lease it for a year. With hopes to add another next year if it is successful.

Interesting to read a recent report that baw baw gets 2.5-4mil from gov each year but gives 19mil into the local/regional economy....give all the negatives in the region you would think sealing roads, bringing through power etc would be a priority to drive jobs locally.

How many people have to pay the best part of $1 per kw hr for power....

snowgum likes this.
  9. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Sounds fair enough to me BB77 - good value if it translates into thousands of visitors.

I'd love to see a couple of longer runs covered top to bottom - like summit and say, Champagne. This would encourage more serious skiers to take a punt and drive up, perhaps much more so than shorter runs?

But this is a good first step and Bawbs management deserve the kudos if it achieves good results.

I'd dismiss the naysayers. There's a few out there who prefer all the public dollars go to the the Big 5 resorts. I say help the small hills -as well!! (;-)

10. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

I suspect but don’t know that the broader plan is the snow factory could replace the one or two guns in the bowl to deploy them to other parts to top up areas that struggle to hold the cover.

Interesting to see that painted is not listed as a lift this year...hope that’s just an error

11. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

If I recall correctly, either Painted Run Tbar or one of the Big Hill jobbie said are past running. The other one needs a lot of work.

Realistically, BB is a 5 drag lift & 1 (now 2) carpet - hill. Lucky it's still in use really!

12. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

We went for a walk the other weekend. Painted looked very operational.

Also walked up the old big hill black run....that looks serious fun and worth a ski if some serious snow comes in.

13. djam

djam One of Us

I wish that was the case, Buller gets next to nothing (~$70k last year I believe) and brings a whole heap of cash to the area.

I hope the Summit T is still running, I was one of a very small crew that built that lift, back in 1979, oh and a helicopter for a day :)

14. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Govts hate parting with cash so it's great for any resort - large or small to get a boost - especially when 90-95% of the population will never see the benefits.

Not being funny djam, didn't Buller (&Hotham) get a few million each for their respective dams, water recycling & assoc. works?

I'm guessing boffins in Spring St (rightly or wrongly) expect the bigs to mostly fund themselves (most infrastructure in place inc utlities).

While the smalls lack some of the same?

...Installing a Tbar? That would be buzz? A lot more OHS reqs now??

15. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Mm maybe it's BH lift (Poma?) that's kaput?

The BH Black run is lovely in late June BB Pow - like a year or two ago! Wide, slow teles. On about 20 cents fresh!! Yum! Only shared with 3-4 boards for one run.

16. djam

djam One of Us

yes they do get money for infrastructure from time to time, the $6.7 at Baw Baw million is
    for running costs, Baw Baw gets infrastructure dollars on top of that. Baw Baw should look
    to start adding a massive solar array for power, they could go off grid for much less then
    the cost of connecting.

Bullers Dam was built in the 60's and is not legally big enough and leaks, on Saturday there
    might be some news, re a replacement. Which Buller has been trying to get approval for
    what must be 5 years.

#16 djam, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  17. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Hopefully Buller gets their tick soon.

I believe they the new dam for upgrades to snowmaking like Grimus & Std. And for guaranteed village use - handy!!

18. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

Spoke to the resort guys on the weekend...painted t bar has been rejuvenated and works fine..suspect it’s just a web development issue as they have 9 lifts in total if you add the two magic carpets added.

snowgum likes this.
  19. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

That's very good news BBS. A nice little blue run (painted). Not sure about Big Hill operating though? I guess the far RHS of the ski area (look up) isn't a major focus for the resort. And hasn't been in recent decades. (Generally Too flat & bushy to the right of Big Hill).

20. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

My guess is big hill Poma and big hill carpet will be very important in this years plans....suspect it will be used for lessons so hut run can be turned at full speed to spread the load

snowgum likes this.
  21. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Sweet!

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Stop logging the eff out of the old growth forests next door to Mt BB and you will slowly see a wetter and better return to winter precipitation in the area.

snowgum likes this.
  23. BawBawSkier

BawBawSkier Hard Yards

Big Hill can't operate, one of he towers was requisitioned to extend Hut Run down toward the ticket box

24. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Quite a practical idea I guess if money is short. And Big Hull while steep is pretty short so Resort probably think it doesn't add much to the overall experience. Leave for Those who earn their turns?? (;-)