Question Small US resorts help

Discussion in 'United States' started by CJP, Aug 23, 2016.

1. CJP

CJP Active Member

Hi all, I am planning a trip with the family to the US skiing and need your assistance. Last season we travelled to Canada and had a great time. We stayed at Big White, Sun Peaks and Whistler. Our favourite was definitely BW and SP as they were smaller village resorts. As much as Whistler was amazing it was just to big for me.
    From your vast knowledge I am seeking recommendations for resorts in the Tahoe, Utah and Colorado areas that are of a similar size and feel to BW and SP that are a bit smaller and quieter with ski in ski out accommodation.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    Craig

2. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Solitude in Utah.

No idea how it compares to those Canadian places. They hold no appeal to me so I've never been.

Nidecker, sbm and CJP like this.
  3. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Bear Valley, in the next valley South of the Tahoe area.

CJP likes this.
  4. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Squaw valley.

5. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

/thread

6. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Utah - Solitude is smaller and quieter than Big White and Sun Peaks, but we still loved our time there.
    Tahoe - Kirkwood

One that I would highly recommend is Whitefish in Montana. Good size mountain(same as Big White). Plenty of affordable on mountain accommodation. Great ski school. Regular free bus that goes down to the town. And Kalispell airport is only 1/2 hour away so very easy to get there. http://skiwhitefish.com/
    Plenty of condos on https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-renta...y/whitefish-lake/whitefish/whitefish-mountain

Our family trip report to Solitude (with pics) - http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/solitude-brighton-utah-a-family-trip-report.59647/#post-1920638

Our family trip to Whitefish (with pics) - http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/whitefish-montana-the-final-summary.51488/#post-1549637

#6 Born2ski, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  7. CJP

CJP Active Member

Hi Carveman, what is /thread ??
    Craig

8. silva

silva Active Member

I will second Whitefish - particularly with children. The ski/snowboard school is excellent and affordable, the mountain is awesome and has lots of runs for people of all abilities. We have always rented through the resort and gotten good rates - buy a season pass and you get 20% off accommodation, sign up for their newsletter and you will most likely get offers of even bigger discounts. Only downsides is that there is not many night time dining options in the mountain village but the free bus to town opens up a huge array of options (the sushi restaurant is excellent).

The other place we enjoyed which has a nice village, good apartment accommodation, reasonable prices, free bus system to towns for shopping and down days and a nice family atmosphere is Copper Mountain. It seems to get a bit of the cold shoulder on this site due to one painful poster but we have done a couple of trips there and really enjoyed them.

I would choose Whitefish over Copper for terrain, ski school and atmosphere but Copper over Whitefish for access (no third flight required so may be cheaper to get to - shuttle from Denver), green and light blue terrain, village restaurants and shopping options (although I have been told the local factory outlet towns are not as good as they used to be).

9. CJP

CJP Active Member

Hi Borntoski and Silva, thank you for your great responses very helpful. Please keep them coming.

#9 CJP, Aug 24, 2016
  10. absentskier

absentskier Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

It means "end thread". He was saying that he agrees that Solitude would be a good choice.

In Colorado, Copper Mountain.

11. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Man you gotta be quick - had written this then got the notification that more had been posted and yeah - beat me to it @absentskier FYI the / Basically means end and its usage comes from coding as it is used to end or close elements/tags etc. so /thread is literally translated as "end thread" Have a read of http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=/thread.

I was gonna ask @CJP - what were your motivations/reasons for Tahoe/Utah and Colorado? Assuming you weren't looking at a return to BW/SP so you could try somewhere new - how did you come up with them as opposed to say another/different Canadian resort?

12. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

TropicalPow likes this.
  13. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

You mention Colorado. IMO Colorado's strength is combining modern ski resorts was really nice atmospheric towns. And I don't mean purpose built villages like Big White (which I find a bit dull to be honest), but real towns. For example, Telluride has Mountain Village at the base of the lifts, and then a free gondola down to a beautiful town (Telluride itself). You get the best of both worlds with the convenience of being at the lifts but also the the town a stone throw's away.

On the other hand, there are purpose built villages like Keystone and Copper that are more similar to the Canadian 'villages' you are talking about.

But if you really do want a small quiet little purpose built ski in ski out village, there aren't endless options in Colorado, where destination resorts reign supreme.

Solitude has been mentioned in Utah, and then there will be more options further afield in Montana and Idaho.

piolet likes this.
  14. CJP

CJP Active Member

15. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

@CJP What standard of skier / boarder are you and your family members?

16. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Thirding Solitude/Brighton. Lovely.

In Colorado - I didn't get to go there, but everyone RAVES about Telluride and the San Juans (inc Silverton, Taos, Wolf Creek). Not sure if that counts as "smaller". Crested Butte has a reputation as "the last true mountain town" and its distance from everywhere keeps it under the radar.

California - June Mountain, Mammoth (to an extent...), Sugar Bowl, Homewood, Mt Rose, Diamond Peak. California is a pretty big gamble though for snow at the moment.

piolet likes this.
  17. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Are we talking smaller or not as busy?

See I would have happily recommended Steamboat based on the fact I think it is a great ski hill with a great real town attached but like @sbm comment about Telluride not sure you would class it as small. I wouldn't have thought it was that busy (compared to Whistler) however so possibly worth considering. Never been to Telluride but would love to as everything I have seen/heard is fantastic so would put that on the list. Reckon Telluride would have to rate as one of the most impressive/picturesque towns given how it butts right up to the mountainside. I would have thought it would have been comparable to Steamboat in the size/busy stakes due to distance from Denver and size of town etc. - fair comparison? Edit - just googled it looks like Steamboat Town is a fair bit bigger in terms of population etc.

Would have also suggested Crested Butte as well for CO as it would fit both smaller/not busy and real town with ski hill attached. With a couple of kids potentially a bigger destination might have more non skiing/snow 'distractions' so how long were you planning to go and did you need other activities to keep the kids entertained?

Only other places I would have suggested are a couple of places I would love to check out - being Jackson Hole and Big Sky. I would have said both these places had 'big' skiing so may not be what you were after if it was the size/scale of the terrain that was off putting about Whistler.

#17 Scooter, Aug 24, 2016
  18. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

I posted this pic in the USA thread - Telluride - Town proper down in the valley and the mountain village up above - Magic :D (a Gondola runs from the town proper up to the mountain village so you have two distinct accommodation options)

[​IMG]

chunky and CJP like this.
  19. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I was going to suggest Telluride, but thought the town took it out of the criteria.

The Mountain Village is very like the BW/SP setup in that it is a purpose built resort with a lot of ski in/out accommodation. You could ignore the old town if you want, but that would be foolish as it is where the good restaurants, bars and shops are. The Mountain Village itself is quite quiet (or it was in late January). I suspect that most of the time the party people catch the gondola into town.

piolet likes this.
  20. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

What about Teton Village? How does it compare in size to something like the Big White village?

21. silva

silva Active Member

Teton Village is probably smaller than Big white village as there is less shops and restaurants. I would say Teton village is much more intense than Big White though - particularly on a powder day. The ski school at Jackson is excellent and the mountain is amazing. I would not hesitate to take a family there but it certainly has a big mountain feel and is not laid back. The town of Jackson is close and the bus service into town frequent and cheap so most people go into town of an evening or on down days if they want to shop or check out the restaurant scene etc. Jackson town has a lot of cheaper hotels and tourist options as well - winter is the slow season - there is lots to do on down days eg: the elk refuge, dog sledding, snowmobiling, National park visits etc.

I have been to Jackson several times and stayed in Teton Village each time and even after several visits it is still on the top of our return to list. Would love to go back but unfortunately the less expensive accommodation options are now basically non existent (except the hostel) and the accommodation and lift passes are getting more and more expensive.

Crystal likes this.
  22. Summit

Summit Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

As good as that pic looks it probably does an injustice to Telluride's historic town. As you can see Mountain Village is purpose built and very close to the easy skiing, but the front face is out of view in the pic and has some of the best skiing in the resort for good skiers. In town there's also quite a lot of ski in ski out accommodation near the coonskin chair and the base of the gondola, including this great place to stay about 20 metres from the gondola http://www.columbiatelluride.com/

As others have said the old town has the nightlife, but much more than that, it's an atmospheric historic place compared to a purpose built mountain village. Also, 8,700 ft in town is plenty of altitude to deal with rather than sleeping at 10,000 ft and bringing altitude sickness further into play. I think most of those scattered mansions you can see are empty. If you've got a spare 10 mill you could easily snare one from some A lister who bought it for the privacy.

23. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Yes I went to Jackson for a couple of days in March, stayed at the Hostel so no issues price-wise there, but tickets are definitely expensive. But man they're worth it.

24. CJP

CJP Active Member

Thanks everyone you are amazing, I should probably have clarified earlier, by smaller I meant less busy town. Large ski area is ok just smaller village/town attached. We are a family of intermediate skiers. The days of going all day are over for me at least, I prefer a long wide groomer over steep. Crested Butte and Telluride look lovely.

25. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

One thing about Teton Village (if you are talking condos) is that there is very little ski in/out except at the Moose Creek end which is a bit of a hike from the Village, and those in the Tram building. There is a free shuttle. Most of the hotels in the centre of the village are ski in/out, I think, but it is a while since I stayed in a hotel there. The place has changed a lot since I first went there in 1986.

26. Summit

Season Pass Gold

Both awesome choices.

27. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Yeah I know the town proper was hardly visible - I just liked the pic. Here was a good pic demonstrating your point @Summit (lifted from this TR on TGR http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/187488-TR-High-and-Dry-in-Telluride )

[​IMG]

Summit likes this.
  28. Summit

Season Pass Gold

Brilliant !

29. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

That is one of the disadvantages of Telluride. Although there are some expert runs (and a lot of Extreme XXX lunatic runs) on the Mountain Village side most of the expert terrain is on the old town side. It makes it a bit hard for people of different ability to ski in the same broad area.

Of the runs in Scooter's shot only about 3 are groomed regularly so they get very bumpy. Chair 8, from the base on the left side, does not have any safety bars.

30. Summit

Season Pass Gold

The no safety bar chair is the old Oak Street Chair. Don't think it gets used much now. If you're not concentrating when getting on you can finish up in the San Miguel River ! That pic is pre Gondola which leaves from very close to the base of Oak St and goes to near the top of Coonskin on the right of the pic. The top left run is Bushwacker (single black run ?) and the one that starts about 50 metres from the top of the mountain is probably Upper Plunge (double blue ?) Haven't skied there for a while but most of those runs on the top left are half moguls and half groomed, good for mixed ability skiers from intermediate and better.

31. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

They weren't doing the half groom thing in 2012 when I was there last.

32. Summit

Season Pass Gold

Come to think of it, maybe not most runs being half groomed and half mogul, but certainly upper plunge.

33. Summit

Season Pass Gold

I last skied there in 2006, but saw the gondola in summer 2013

34. silva

silva Active Member

Anyone considering Whitefish - just got an email this morning. Current offer is 40% of lodging and adult lift passes if you book more than 5 nights - book before 31 August. Phone number for deal is 800-858-4152

35. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire

Another flag here for Jackson....awesome place. I definite must do for any skier.

36. essjaywhy

essjaywhy Well-Known Member

anyone skiied Teton Pass Ski Resort, Mo. ?
    my ol buddy bought it a few years back, and was gonna upgrade it

37. try hard

try hard Active Member

My 2 picks, Telluride in Colorado and/or Whitefish, Montana. Both gorgeous towns, great skiing, great vibe. Stayed in Mountain village in Telluride which was so easy but still caught the gondola down to town every 2nd afternoon for a bigger selection of restaurants. Stunningly beautiful town and scenery. Whitefish we love. We went 2 years in a row and even drove down for the day from Fernie in Jan this year cause we love it so much. We stayed at the Lodge at Whitefish on the lake, and they have their own private shuttle up to the mountain (about 8 mins away). There aren't many restaurant options up in the mountain village, so we liked staying down near town for strolling, restaurants etc. The lodge has a great restaurant/bar too if the weather is lousy and you don't feel like heading into town for dinner. They also have hotel rooms or on site condo apayments which were excellent. Lift passes in Whitefish are also really reasonably priced compared to Colorado resorts. US$76 vs US$120. Also pays to get a frequent skier pass if you plan to stay longer than a week as it takes US$20 off your lift ticket each day for a $50 upfront outlay. You really couldn't go wrong with either.

38. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Ahhh? Crested Butte????

39. Summit

Season Pass Gold

Crested Butte is mighty purdy !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chunky and skifree like this.
  40. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

But it's not Telluride

[​IMG]

41. Summit

Season Pass Gold

My favourite two ski towns, about a half day drive apart, neither are huge areas...4 days Telluride, 3 days Crested Butte sounds about right :)

42. Summit

Season Pass Gold

Don't you love that Telluride main street, parking in the middle with one of those street signs saying speed limit 15mph...this is a place to wind down !

43. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

I love that if you even look like you are thinking of maybe crossing the street cars stop to let you do it.

By the end of my fortnight there was a lot more snow about.

44. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah but its the steepest lift serviced terrain in North America, its the coldest place in the USA south of the canadian border, and its a little more isolated that most ski resorts, so there is less chance of running into other JAFAs :) Not that there is anything wrong with Telluride mind you. Yes that peak in the picture is INBOUNDS :) and skiable

[​IMG]

#44 Nidecker, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Summit likes this.
  45. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Absent - dealzzzzzx????

46. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

I don't have any great deals to offer, but I can point you in the right direction of someone who does....

Ozgirl likes this.
  47. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'd also suggest Park City in Utah.

It is a biggish place but the heart is quite small (different to Whistler) and being an ex mining town it has a lot of character.

48. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

But the town is not as purdy as Telluride, which was Summit's point.

49. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Summit likes this.
  50. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Active Member

Solitude ,Powder Mountain ,Grand Targhee, Brian Head ,Wolf Creek

Summit likes this.