Question Small US resorts help

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Solitude ,Powder Mountain ,Grand Targhee, Brian Head ,Wolf Creek
Done a day each at Solitude and Targhee. Brian Head has been on the list for ages.

d364246c-68f7-49a7-af9d-d40b2167cf49

I'm guessing awesome Utah views from the top, Giant Steps Mountain and Cedar Breaks in the distance.

Could stay in Springdale, see a bit of Zion NP in winter and hang out at the Bit and Spur

http://www.bitandspur.com/

Do you know if the access roads are usually Ok ? Pretty sure I've read the 143 is the best access road, what about the 14 from Cedar City ?

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Had a closer look at the Brian Head website and now realise the 148 that runs past Cedar Breaks is closed in winter, so you can't take the 14 from Cedar City. The 143 from Parowan on the I15 is the go.

Looks like there's plenty of Southern Utah colour to take in when skiing Brian Head.

25772691.jpg

25772690.jpg

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I enjoyed skiing Mad River Glen many years ago, just have not figured out how to get back there since.

Access was difficult, I ended up taking a US$300.00 plus taxi ride to get there. Details are a bit hazy now.

I seem to remember it was linked to the adjacent Sugarbush by a very kooky chair ride, it is not often you ride a chair that goes up and down twice as it crosses the ridge lines in lieu of going up. I cannot see if this is still possible or I was mistaken.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
But the town is not as purdy as Telluride, which was Summit's point.

Hmmm depends on your definition, CB is very much an old western town like Telluride, just less touristy, much harder to get too, probably a little more authentic, but would many Aussies notice the difference unless they had been to both? probably not. They are both awesome with better skiing than most of us are used too :)

Reactions: skifree

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Hmmm depends on your definition, CB is very much an old western town like Telluride, just less touristy, much harder to get too, probably a little more authentic, but would many Aussies notice the difference unless they had been to both? probably not. They are both awesome with better skiing than most of us are used too :)
I can't imagine skiing one and not the other as well in any of my future Colorado ski trips. Not enough skiing at either one to want to spend more than 3 or 4 days at a time, only a half our drive between both, and my favourite two small American towns. A car is a waste once you get to both towns, so they are both great ski destinations for those not driving. Pretty sure it would be easy to get between Telluride and Crested Butte without a car. I know there's a regular shuttle between Telluride and Montrose because Telluride's airport is often closed. Recently did some research and found there's also a shuttle service between Montrose and Crested Butte...and CB isn't really that far out of the way. There's plenty of flights to Gunnison, a half hour drive away. I'm thinking of doing a March 2018 Colorado ski trip that includes driving from CB to the Vail area via Monarch on the Continental Divide and historic little Salida.

Oops, half day drive between the two !

Last edited:
Reactions: sbm

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
I can't imagine skiing one and not the other as well in any of my future Colorado ski trips. Not enough skiing at either one to want to spend more than 3 or 4 days at a time, only a half our drive between both, and my favourite two small American towns. A car is a waste once you get to both towns, so they are both great ski destinations for those not driving. Pretty sure it would be easy to get between Telluride and Crested Butte without a car. I know there's a regular shuttle between Telluride and Montrose because Telluride's airport is often closed. Recently did some research and found there's also a shuttle service between Montrose and Crested Butte...and CB isn't really that far out of the way. There's plenty of flights to Gunnison, a half hour drive away. I'm thinking of doing a March 2018 Colorado ski trip that includes driving from CB to the Vail area via Monarch on the Continental Divide and historic little Salida.
Oops, half day drive between the two !

I've driven all around there, including Telluride / CB / Grand Fog-ee :) I think the drives are almost as good as the skiing. enjoy it. There are lots of small resorts in between as well.

Reactions: Summit

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
I've driven all around there, including Telluride / CB / Grand Fog-ee :) I think the drives are almost as good as the skiing. enjoy it. There are lots of small resorts in between as well.
Yep, I don't need to ski more than 4 or 5 days a week, so the drive days are a highlight, like the 25 or so miles driving along the side of frozen Blue Mesa Reservoir on the way to CB. More than 20 years ago I drove past the entrance to Powderhorn. It's only about a half hour from Grand Junction, wouldn't mind a day catching lifts to the top of Grand Mesa and skiing the sides of it !

http://www.powderhorn.com/discover-powderhorn-mountain-resort

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
I've dropped off a car at Grand Junction before, central to plenty of good skiing and easy flights to LA.

Powderhorn looks ok for a day

Powderhorn-GettingThere-05.jpg

p2p

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2000
Newport, Vic
@Summit, depending on your timetable, if you're looking at Brian Head its only a short drive to Bryce Canyon - can sometimes keep taking route 143 over the top of the range - it sort of gets plowed but can get big drifts if snowed recently, or else back track to I-15 to get to Panguitch - still not a long drive. I reckon if you're going through the area you've got to do a sunset and sunrise at Bryce. From there the drive along 12 and 24 is truly spectacular, though it's a fairly full day particularly if you stop for lots of gawking.

Did a day at both Brian Head and Powderhorn in Jan 2015 - unfortunately during a dry period with limited cover but would happily return to both, particularly in better conditions. Didn't get photos at Brian Head but a couple from Powderhorn
Powderhorn1.JPG

Powderhorn2.JPG

Reactions: Summit

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
@Summit, depending on your timetable, if you're looking at Brian Head its only a short drive to Bryce Canyon - can sometimes keep taking route 143 over the top of the range - it sort of gets plowed but can get big drifts if snowed recently, or else back track to I-15 to get to Panguitch - still not a long drive. I reckon if you're going through the area you've got to do a sunset and sunrise at Bryce. From there the drive along 12 and 24 is truly spectacular, though it's a fairly full day particularly if you stop for lots of gawking.

Did a day at both Brian Head and Powderhorn in Jan 2015 - unfortunately during a dry period with limited cover but would happily return to both, particularly in better conditions. Didn't get photos at Brian Head but a couple from Powderhorn
Powderhorn1.JPG

Powderhorn2.JPG
I drove from Moab to Springdale via the 12 in summer 2013 and have spent a night at Ruby's Inn just outside Bryce in winter to see a sunrise and sunset. Trying to remember the sunrise temp, might have been 12° F...awesome part of the world.
Thanks for the thumbs up on Powderhorn and Brian Head :cheers:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I always recommend Winter Park as a great family resort!

I also agree that Copper Mtn is great as well - both small villages. (despite the bad taste a certain spammer leaves of that resort!)

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Loveland is awesome. Cheap & no crowds (well maybe on weekends)

A few of the warming huts, where some people eat their BYO lunch, has large pot belly stoves, where you can throw firewood on fire to warm up the place. Lifts are a bit old & slow but who cares. No time wasted standing around in lift q's.

tonks

Hard Yards
Sep 17, 2015
Hey guys,

Hope no one minds if I hijack this thread...

I'm on the cusp of taking a year off to study. Importantly, this includes the three month break over summer. I'm looking to make the most of it and ski an absolute sh*tload. One of my friends suggested doing 2-3 months at Whitefish, Montana. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of some cheap long term accommodation options there, or at other small-town resorts in the US? As I said, I'll be a student and riding solo so have to be budget conscious.

Apologies if there's been another thread on this, or a closely related, topic. If that is the case, I'm happy to be directed to said thread to glean the necessary information.

Cheers,
Tonks

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
Hi Tonks
Huge fan of Whitefish here. We have already purchased out flights and will be there for 3 weeks in January.
Benefits for the budget traveller - $630 season pass, free bus from the town to the mountain and a real town with realistic prices not ski village craziness. Its also less than half an hours drive to the larger commercial centre of Kalispell. We always book our accommodation through central reservations (you get 20% off when you have a season pass) on the mountain which would not be the most economical option for you to look at but maybe email some vrbo options and see if they would discount for longer rentals. Here are some examples:
https://www.vrbo.com/1001247
https://www.vrbo.com/4422378ha
https://www.vrbo.com/441526

Airbnb would also be a good place to start:
https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/15594401?checkin=2018-01-09&checkout=2018-03-10
this option is under $1000 per month

Craigslist is also a good place to start to look for share houses.

There is also a on mountain hotel called Hibination House which would be a good place to stay while you sorted out share accommodation.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonks

tonks

Hard Yards
Sep 17, 2015
Thanks Silva. I saw that property on Airbnb. Pretty economical! Craigslist is another good suggestion.

Is the bus to the mountain free if you have a season pass?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass