Opinion Sneaky change to seniors season pass

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by ocker, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Seniors used to get free resort entry at Falls. Then up to 2017 they got a discount on the early bird price but could get their pass at any time before or during the season. Now if you read between the lines the season entry price for seniors for 2018 season has gone up by 6% plus seniors have to buy by December 20 to get the best price. In past years the early bird cut-off was April 30. The email does not scream "NEW CUT-OFF DATE" it does not say "SENIORS TAKE NOTICE TO GET THE BEST PRICE YOU NOW HAVE TO BUY BY DEC 20" No this seakly buried in the detail! How many seniors are going to ignore the email about early bird cut-off expecting that the prior years arrangement would apply to seniors with no cut-off date for seniors? On top of the deception after the best visitor numbers season in 13 years how on earth can they justify a 6% increase in entry fee? Does someone at the top wants a big salary increase as a reward for delivering record snow falls in 2017!

Chaeron likes this.
  2. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Yes, noticed that, the buggas

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Hully

Hully One of Us

No surprise.....FCRMB have reported operating losses totalling $2million in the last two annual reports (2015, 2016).

4. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

i'm not sure that is because they are undercharging. I think it is more of a competence thing. Their administration is woeful

5. Hully

Hully One of Us

I'm not suggesting that they are undercharging, just that they have demonstrated zero cost management ability and a such price increase to customers is their only means of attempting to balance the books.

6. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

I'm surprised there is a senior's discount

7. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

that , of course, is a philosophical thing. Funny how philosophies change when you are incompetently losing money

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

But you can do $95 now and balance by the end of January.

9. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Hang on. Seniors?
    ... These are the folks that have or earn too much money to qualify for a pension?

My 2 cents:
    Imho: 'many' seniors live much better than young folks on rubbish salaries paying high rent and receive no govt. assistance but who aren't yet over 60. Raises the question, should age alone be enough for adults to receive discounts generally? Or should one be needy?

There's usually two (or more) sides to every debate.

That said, I think Falls should be crystal clear on the Comms around timing /caveats of new measures.

10. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture

Said 60 year Olds have probably worked and paid taxes for over 40 years, never been on the dole and never received any of the Howard government middle class welfare largesse that flies in the face of your $0.02 worth.
    Just saying.

weerab likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Let's abolish child subsidies too. All kids do is fall over and get in your way.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

It's an age qualification only, not income or wealth.

Chaeron, weerab and cqen2l like this.
  13. weerab

weerab One of Us

Arsehole!!!

cqen2l likes this.
  14. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Is that the best you can say weerab?

...how about I'm mean picking on oldies? ( I guess I've got to wait 14 whole seasons, that's if my knees last? For a Seniors half price pass!).

As for paying taxes all ones life (I've paid PAYE for almost 30 years - so should I perhaps qualify for a Seniors Pass while my rapidly wearing knees hold?) or does 40 half a nicer ring too it? And for that matter, do privatelift comps really Care if we've paid tax all our life? Or not?

And away from skiing: Treas Jo told us we need to stop expecting entitlements from Govts. Generally. And we need to lift not lean. So does this apply to Seniors who aren't Pensioners - too?

Or only to youngsters? (Many of whom are too young to have benefited fromHoward's cash splash In the dieting days of his 11 years (2017). Not a fan of Jo, Howard of their mates by the way! Good to quote though!

More seriously but on this general theme. If you want a real rip off in the Aussie ski fields, try paying around 80-85% of a full day ticket for a half day. And be forced to Queue up for the pleasure (& lost ski time) unlike most other passes which can bought online.

How about the inability in Aussie to buy good value multi packs of half days (mighty handy if you and the missus are sharing child duties). Before you ask, our mini skier is nearly 9! Lots of juggling paying full passes.

I guess a key point is there's unfair stuff (charging) on the snow all around. I'm not sure the it's limited to Seniors.

And sorry it's just an observation (with past experience in Human Servies) than on average most Seniors are better off than most Pensioners. The latter surely have a stronger claim for discounts generally on hardship grounds?

That said, I'm sure there are shades of grey where some Seniors just fail to qualify for the Pension and find life tougher and some Pensioners luckily just scrape in (possessing mainly housing not cash).

In short, this is a very nuanced area (discounts), I don't think stating these points makes me an arsehole.
    But you're welcome to your opinion Weerab. I wish you well (honestly) and hope you get all the discounts / free passes you're entitled too.

(Trying to finish evening / chat on a happy note!)
    SG

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Let's keep it civil weerab.

16. weerab

weerab One of Us

you are up early Mr Z! I think my post, which I had forgotten all about was Chardonnay fuelled. you are right in saying that the Seniors card is totally based on age, you can get it when you turn sixty but working less than 35 hours.

BTW Snowgum, I get precious little discounts and no govm't handouts.

17. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

It's all sweet mate. We all get fired up sometimes! Especially when it's something we all love here (skiing/boarding).

Look seriously we all pump thousands into the ski industry for our measles 10-20 days p.a.

If someone can save a few hundred then good luck to them! (You)

...handouts mm? Look we got the baby bonus and the Rudd Julia TV bribe, all which was nice but not a game (vote) changer. Auctually: In some ways this may have helped us to ski despite all the new baby/ doc/ nursery costs. Great eh??

And PAYE? - so few ways to reduce the tax load!

As for skiing? perhaps if I didn't ski nor buy a decent 4wd for snow/camping I'd own a house by now but what's the point of a nice BV home 50 km from Melbourne if I can't afford to ski?? (;-)

18. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

Think of it as a loyalty bonus. If they are still skiing at 60 they have probably coughed up for lift tickets for 40 years.

Chaeron likes this.
  19. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

and might just bring the grandkids to ensnare another generation - along if you make it as easy as possible

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

65, not 60.

21. weerab

weerab One of Us

Hi Snowgum, I must apologise for my rude outburst. I was just a bit upset by your statement about seniors having too much money to get the pension. I am of pensionable age but don't get it because my wife still works part time. We are far from wealthy.
    You do have a point about people getting discounts just because of age, it should really be means tested. However, so should childcare benefits and all the so called middle class welfare. There's certainly a lot of inequality when it comes to financial benefits. I used to work with a young engineer who had his university accommodation paid for by the government. His father was a doctor who owned a country practice but apparently only earned $35,000 per annum so the son was entitled to subsidised accommodation. His father actually earned many times this amount but tucked it away into a family trust. Meanwhile, my niece had to pay for her uni accommodation because her parents were earning $70,000 or whatever but not well off!

Anyway, must stick to ski related stuff in future.:)

22. person s

person s Old n' Crusty

not half price now, if they ever were
    I’m paying $677 for

23. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

Spot on. Forget the ageist and economic elitist arguments being bandied about in here for they aren't even worthy of consideration. Of course its a loyalty bonus and it should be even bigger than it is.

24. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

Out of order. Why should someone be less eligible ( or even punished if you like) simply because they were more successful at accruing wealth than someone else ? I have worked damn hard all my life , and continue to do so , in an industry where each season I gamble my livelihood against a multitude of factors not the least of which is the weather and over the years I have succeeded , by being frugal in the main part , in accruing what some may consider a decent bank balance. Now you say because I have been somewhat successful in what I do that I don't automatically qualify for something I have earnt. Against that is some other person who for any number of reasons, including but not limited to squandering , laziness , idleness and just plain poor decision making, has been less successful and will therefore qualify automatically. Really ? Its not as though I haven't been subsidizing this other bloke most of my life anyway but now you want to penalise me and still ask me to subsidize him yet again. Bollocks to that I say.

25. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

Seniors have mostly got to where they are by being frugal.
    They don't bring more visitors. They've already brought them.
    They don't spend more. They spent it over the decades on their kid's lift tickets, accom, meals, race club ...
    If they're skiing in their senior years, then it's usually down to decades of AUS resort patronage.
    Time they were rewarded.
    I've watched the seniors' concession reductions over the years.

Little wonder we're spending our real bucks in the NH. I do.

Ziggy likes this.
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

And down to years in the gym.

27. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

I would to bring the discussion back to the two main point I originally made
    1. The very big change in cut-off date has not been honestly and well communicated likely resulting in some seniors missing out on the early bird discount.
    2. Why is there a 6% increase when inflation is under 3%, average wage growth is negligible and interest paid on your deposits is pathetic.

28. weerab

weerab One of Us

How can Medibank etc. justify their increased premiums, probably about 6% also?

29. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here

You're doing it all wrong weerab, get the wife a full time job!

30. Charlie

To play Devil's advocate, The senior skier may have done all his previous years skiing at, say, Buller, and then expect Falls Creek to pay a loyalty bonus
    Wer may have to hoard all our season passes/lift tickets and present them to get a senior's discount!

Chaeron likes this.
  31. Ubiquitous Steve

32. weerab

weerab One of Us

She could have a full time job there if she wanted it. However, she wanted to work part time while our son was growing up. He is now 24!!!

33. Charlie

Lazy cow!
    :out:

34. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

I don't think the discount is anything to do with rewards or welfare. It's a marketing decision. It's brand spin.

Chaeron likes this.
  35. ryan_

ryan_ Addicted

My unscientific observations suggest that what 'seniors' save on the lift ticket they make up for with their spend on lunch and beverages..

36. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

2017 season lift pass
    Adult $1644. Senior (65-69) $934 = 57%

2018 Hero Pass
    Adult $799. Senior 459 = 57%

But the website says: Visitors aged 65 - 69 Years old are eligible for half price lift passes (includes 50% discount off peak season lift tickets and 50% off group lesson prices).

Edited.