1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Sneaky perisher blizzard spots

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by bengarden, Jul 25, 2015.

1. bengarden

bengarden One of Us

So due to family things I've had to move my Monday/Tuesday after blizzard trip to sun/mon and battle Barry's winds on Sunday. I'm all about skiing the fresh in Japow in the relatively low winds but wanted some more hints on places to escape windhold chairs and find fresh @ Perisher. I know about brumby t and Interceptor but was also thinking blue calf t at Guthega might be the go if the weather allows getting over there. Any places I'm missing? I'm expecting pretty bad vis/wind on Sunday...::

#1 bengarden, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Centre Valley, Interceptor if it's open.

3. bengarden

bengarden One of Us

Yeah I was also thinking Centre valley......Looks like its either bottom Guthega (if you can get over) ,Brumby T or Centre Valley. Anyones thoughts on Eyre? Or is it a pain in the ass to get to if Mt Perisher chairs are not going?

4. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Eyre, International and Sun Valley have not opened this season ... yet - next week should be all systems go

5. bengarden

bengarden One of Us

Yes, such as shame I have to leave Monday afternoon, Tues/Wed could be the real pick days although a bit warmer.

6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

White out central and very exposed. Bottom of the list.

7. skichic

skichic A Local

Sun Valley is open today. Very low vis in there though.
    It will be Centre Valley with everyone else, or Smiggs.

8. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I went skiing this morning, bright sunshine and my very own baby whale to play with.

Took my v10 sport ski out at balmoral. There was a baby wright whale swimming just off the beach.

Paradise.

9. bengarden

bengarden One of Us

I had thought of Smiggs. Nice and protected Bowl. What are the lines like to get over on Piper T in the mornings? Or is everyone going the other way to get to FV/CV Mt P?

10. bengarden

bengarden One of Us

Yeah, around Sun Valley/Happy Valley gets pretty gnarly and antarctic like when the wind is blowing in a blizzard and white out conditions.......

11. bengarden

bengarden One of Us

Looks like Eyre and International are open at present, is International likely to be more protected than out on the edge @ Eyre?

12. Portski

Portski Addicted

Comparatively so, but not as protected as Centre Valley.

13. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I've forgotten which wind direction you need for it to be very favorable, and you still need the chairs to be open but the Ridge area can offer some great skiing with heaps of windblown powder.
    Most people get off at the top of the summit quad, get blown over and then head back towards the Terminal Quad.
    But as soon as you drop off from the top section the wind drops away, in low visibility get of the groomed areas and ski between the bushes and rocks,either straight under the chair or head out around outer limits,just pay attention for the out of bounds/resort boundary signage.
    I haven't skied their yet this year ,but it is dependent on snow depth .
    Another nice area for stashes under certain directions is to stick to the far skiers right. when going down Zalis .

14. skichic

skichic A Local

Guthega is the place to be. If you can get there.

WaitAwhile likes this.
  15. bengarden

bengarden One of Us

Agreed gonna make the attempt at getting to Guthega from the Skitube. Fingers crossed access isn't closed....:pouring rain and socked in 2 degrees at bullocks flat carpark

16. skichic

skichic A Local

It's not the access that's the problem, it's getting back with Blue Cow lifts closed.

Though I do remember once cutting through to Brumby T when the lifts went on hold during the day.