Sneaky trip to Les Trois Vallees

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It looks like I can get away for the first 2 weeks of Feb 2020.
Looking at Emirates, one ME stop, on to Geneva. 2 hour transfer to whichever bit of the resort/s and accom I settle on.
What am I getting wrong at this stage?
:)
Nothing.

I’d probably base myself in Courchevel. @Boodwah is our local 3V expert but he’s currently on a boat between Sth America and Antarctica.

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
Mottaret!
Is always in the center!
Mottaret village is an excellent location, without the hefty prices of Courchevel and a little quieter than central Méribel. Lots of small ski in ski out apartments, some catered chalets and hotels. It provides easy access to all 4 Vallées. We are returning for our third trip this January, flying Emirates through Dubai. Transfer is about 2 hours from Geneva airport, via Annecy.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
I based myself in Val Thorens a few years back... only went over to the Coucheval side once due to weather....

Lower villages. Cheaper and obviously more time to get to the better skiing up high

I'd look at the ski map and see where you want to be based to start the day.

Enjoy

Reactions: piolet and Normo

andrew7

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 3, 2007
castlemaine
Another vote for Meribel, has the advantage if being in the middle hence can access Couchevel or Val Thorens as required. We found a quiet flat in the upper part of the village which was also close to lifts and restaurants. Skiing was next level, so much terrain. If you get lucky with plenty of snow you will have a ball.

Reactions: Ozgirl and Normo

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Meribel -Mottaret is the most central but its also a very busy transit village that has a reputation for noisy Brits. Courchevel is the place for you @Normo
upload_2019-11-4_13-22-44.png

https://helisecurite.fr/en/private-flights/courchevel-helicopter/

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
Courchevel gets huge wraps but also most expensive unless you are staying in the lower Courchevel villages Le Praz, La Tania or some parts of 1550 which are less central and lower so snow not as good or more hassle. Skiing wise lots of variety both on and off piste will take a very long time to get bored.

Meribel central but gets a lot of sun, ice etc on one side of valley, full of brits and less ski-in-out accomodation.
It’s easier to get to Mont Vallon (IMHO best skiing in Meribel/Mottaret) from Les Menuires or Val Thorens than Meribel itself.

I was in 3V this year and a big fan of Les Menuires (although more French) but one lift and you can be in Meribel, one to Val Thorens and down to the bottom of La Masse.

Some very good self catering deals in Les Menuires - use local realestate websites (La Croisset very central).
I’m a big fan of Reberty 2000 one lift up from Les Menuires as its ski-in-out hamlet with bus service, a few good restaurants, grocery shop, small ski school for the kids and good catered chalet accomodation and with in house child care but depends what you’re after.

Val Thorens very snow sure/high but also a bit bleak when it’s snowing and tough visibility, whereas other parts of the 3V have more trees for when its snowing.

Each area / has pros & cons but can’t go too wrong anywhere in one of the higher villages.

Kenzie

Early Days
Sep 23, 2019
It looks like I can get away for the first 2 weeks of Feb 2020.
Looking at Emirates, one ME stop, on to Geneva. 2 hour transfer to whichever bit of the resort/s and accom I settle on.
What am I getting wrong at this stage?
:)
Take into account the French school holidays:-
https://www.expatica.com/fr/education/children-education/school-holidays-in-france-137325/

They will affect the availability & price of accommodation, and the amount of lift 'queueing' you'll be doing (not that the French queue, and especially not their kids!)

Reactions: Normo and skiflat

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
OK.....I'm locked in.
Out of Syd 25th Jan. (Not very patriotic, I know)
Into Geneva 26th. Transfer to Les Allues.....slumming it at Hotel Mont Vallon Meribel.
There til the 9th of Feb (leaving when the Winter Break mob invade).
I hope the snow is in good nick.
Thanks all for the hints and advice!
Reports will be forthcoming.......:)

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
OK.....I'm locked in.
Into Geneva 26th. Transfer to Les Allues.....slumming it at Hotel Mont Vallon Meribel.
Note: change of hat required. Not a English Beret in Frannnnnce....thankyou. :p

Reactions: Normo

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
I still have my Basque beret from my first visit to Europe in 86/87........love it. Much wider brim than the standard french beret.
Bit like putting a family pizza on ya head.........but very functional.
Wool and wide brim ..... works against the elements.

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
OK.....I'm locked in.
Great choice, in the quiet end of Mottaret. Will look out for you on Australia Day. There is a magic carpet just across the bridge in front of the hotel.

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
OK.... so that came around quite quickly!
Flying out tomorrow evening.
Les Trois Vallées here I come! :D:D:D
Safe trip .We are in Mottaret village till Tuesday morning. Cover is still excellent up high. Our best tip for first tracks is to take the Pas du Lac gondola from Mottaret Village, to the top of Saulire Courchevel. Saulire run is usually empty for the first hour and is the best groomed run in the 3 valleys. We usually take the vizelle gondola rather than the cable car back up the run. It is faster and more comfortable.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Getting my first turns in.
This place is bigger than big. It’s going to take me all of 2 weeks to get around it all.
I think I can cope with that!
I remember going to work my first season in Vail, the winter after I had spent a month in L3V. People were telling me how big Vail was, I didn’t say much as I wasn’t in the position that I wanted to offend them, but I did have some good internal snickers.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass