1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Media Release SnoActive - Snowflex for Melbourne

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Steve Bell, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Steve Bell

Steve Bell First Runs

SnoActive is picking up where All Seasons Skiing and Snowboarding left off and is working to secure a fantastic site for Australia's first Snowflex® snow sports facility. The opening date is still 3 years away, but right now we need to raise capital, generate interest and demonstrate community support for the project.

SnoActive will be similar to the Noeux les Mines facility in France (see video on the home page of our website www.snoactive.com.au ). If you would like to see this in Melbourne, please register on our website and like our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/SnoActive/277714319057506
    Every bit of support will lend weight to our project.

If you would like to get involved, I would be very happy to hear from you.
    Steve

Ozgirl, Yardsale and Chondro like this.
  2. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

My thoughts would be the people who are interested would be:
    - Learners to high intermediates
    - The freestylers

From what other people (on the internets) are saying, it is not grippy enough to lay down a proper carve turn. So it is going to be of limited interest to the racing community or high end all mountain skiers (unless you want to spend your time practicing checks and Barquage). I'm pretty sure you can't screw a race gate into this stuff.

There are a zillion skiers and boarder out there who don't care if they are laying it over. Their main goal is being balanced and upright.

I'd be out there trying to get my bumps up to scratch, so I'd use it.

My other thought would be to see if you can tie this into a local resort. If you can tie it in to their season passes, and also into their holiday deals it would work really well. The idea being say, get a holiday, and get a lesson off hill - off season. Then in the holiday get another lesson. That way, people hit the mountain knowing what's what and enjoy their snow holiday better. So there can be some good tie ins to be had, or possibly one of the mountains' parent companies would be interested in taking a stake in such an "amusement" and find it a bit of a "attraction" which would fit well into their portfolio.

Up at Hotham the lifts have a bunch of snowflex (or similar) in the lift queue areas. This is an extremely high wear environment. Some of the threads in the material are coming out in place, I imagine, due to edge damage on skis catching on the loops. Simply ensuring that customers have adequately sharpened skis (or detuned skis as the case may be) could prevent this. The only other problem I can think of it water usage.

3. Mattdejong

Mattdejong Hard Yards

great idea, definately will go to this place,

4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The carving thing doesn't worry me - as one of my previous erstwhile ski school directors was fond of saying during the carving craze / piste missiles of the early 2000's: "we need less people carving, not more!"

5. Yardsale

It's a shame tho. I would love to be able to go out and knock over a bunch of gates after work.

6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

never work here unless they put in a detach quad ;)

7. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Pretty active summer race circuit in the UK using snowflex slopes, along with indoor slopes. I guess the big thing is trying to get a culture for that happening.

8. Yardsale

I thought that race circuit was primarily on Dendex.

If there was Dendex, you'd probably get most race clubs using it in the off season.

9. Steve Bell

Steve Bell First Runs

Thanks for your comments Yardsale. Snowflex takes a few runs to get used to the difference with pisted snow but the skills transfer is excellent. Also it's forgiving to land on, so encourages improvement.

The potential synergies with winter ski resorts are abundant and we are talking to them. SnoActive will widen the gateway to snow sports which will be good for everyone in the industry. We will be a partner to the winter resorts rather than a competitor.

You won't see any Snowflex around the lift areas at winter resorts, that would be like having Pirellis on your wheel barrow! Snowflex will wear out, but like any other piece of equipment, it needs maintenance and replacement for it to keep working.

Yes, water usage is an issue. All rain water that falls on the slope will be captured and stored in tanks, then treated for using for the slope misting jets.

Yardsale likes this.
  10. Steve Bell

Steve Bell First Runs

Dendex is used extensively in the UK as it's cheap, but you don't want to fall off on it. There is a well established racing circuit using it but you won't see shredders taking big air because if they blow it they'll need an ambulance!

11. Yardsale

We had a race coach a couple of years back who grew up racing on Dendex. His opinion was that you learn not to fall, and your are a little more "measured" in your approach to skiing.

Considering that Australians need to be able to adapt to dry, icey, sticky, wet, sloppy, sugary, lumpy, smooth, cookied up, powdery, lumpy, cuddy, rocky, rutted up snow... sometimes all in one run - I think one more surface will not be such a problem. In fact, the consistency is likely to be a bonus, especially for beginners!

Steve Bell likes this.
  12. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Yeah, my mistake regarding the surfaces. The snowflex website does show a slalom course set up on it, however the skier on the website has an "interesting" style.