Snow at Lake Mountain

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
tongue.gif
Well, the car park's got cover - and that's the lowest point of the resort. (it's even sleeting at Dom Dom saddle, so the mountain will be getting heaps)
They're still in "summer mode" which means the cameras aren't updating. There is a notice on their website "Today, the resort is only open to vehicles with four wheel drive or with snow chains."

Last edited by a moderator:

shaunstoddart

First Runs
Oct 1, 2009
Melbourne Vic
The mountain got smashed, i'm not 100% sure but I believe it to be around 20cm, with plenty more to come by Saturday.
BTW, hello all for the new season
smile.gif
its good to be back, can't wait for our first trip for 2011!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Apparently 20cm of snow this morning at Lake Mountain. Chains should be carried for 2WD vehicles as more snow is expected later in the day. Only ski hire open is the one on the left in Narbethong. No food available on the mountain, so take your own. Entry to the mountain is free until Queens Birthday weekend.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
I couldn't help myself and called work to say bugger you lot, I'm going for a ski
smile.gif

IMG_0882Medium.jpg

Scraped the snow away at the Camp and there was about 25cm, certainly enough on the trails without breaking thru....just typically wet and slow. Couple of others about so skiing in other tracks was infinitely better.

IMG_0881Medium.jpg

Anyway thoroughly enjoyable day out of the office and I think the earliest ski I've had
thumbsup.gif

DJM

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 16, 2007
sydney
Nice work GS!

By the way....Did I bump into you a couple of seasons ago In Leatherbarrel Creek area? I rode Twin humps and then chatted for a couple of minutes before heading off?

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Good effort, GS. Far superior to a day at work. Now I must load those backcountry skis into the wagon to be ready for BB in the morning.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
We'll expect a full report CC! I would join you but some of us have to earn a living, well at least turn up for work. I'm tossing between LM and BB for the weekend, I think BB would be better snow and at least it's got more steeps. + possibility of getting a hot soup maybe? Hard to believe it's still the middle of May.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Dibble said:
Nice work GS!

By the way....Did I bump into you a couple of seasons ago In Leatherbarrel Creek area? I rode Twin humps and then chatted for a couple of minutes before heading off?

Doubt it was me as it's been a few years since i was north of the border. Hoping to change that this year as I have about 35 days leave and long service accrued
smile.gif

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
weerab said:
I'm tossing between LM and BB for the weekend, I think BB would be better snow and at least it's got more steeps. + possibility of getting a hot soup maybe? Hard to believe it's still the middle of May.

BB might be the go as it was raining solidly when I left LM this arvo. Could be patchy by the weekend.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
The web cams this morning (Friday) show the result of too warm temperatures yesterday. Instead of snowing it rained a lot, and washed most of the snow away. However, another cold front is due to come through tonight and bring snow down to 800m (Lake Mountain is 1500m). So there should be plenty of snow for those coming up on the weekend
smile.gif

degroote

First Runs
May 10, 2011
Bogong, i have EXACTLY the same ute! same tray I had to look out the front to check if mine was still there!

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Saturday morning: 30cm of fresh snow on the road at Lake Mountain car park. Still snowing. Roads are not being cleared, so take care. Two wheel drives probably won't make it without chains. 4WDs & AWDs should seriously consider carrying chains.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I'm meant to be going to the football tomorrow but seriously considering heading up for a ski tour.

Keep us posted if you hear from anyone who headed up today.

Low expectations, just would be good to get outside and get the legs moving.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
I've got 2 lots of skiing customers up there atm, so should be able to give you a report on their return. One of them went for a detour into a lower carpark, and punctured 2 tyres on a hidden obstacle, so I'm in constant touch with him as we try to get him fixed for the drive home. He is saying conditions up there are perfect.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Today's report.

Snow soft and powdery - difficult to ski (wider skis highly recommended). Toboganners must compact the snow to make their own run, as there is no grooming.

The Road. Cars running into snow banks all over the place. 2WDs without chains and hero 4WDs going too fast. If you're going tomorrow (Sunday), you must take and fit chains - 2WDs, 4WDs & AWDs and drive slowly, carefully and defencively. The snow is not being cleared and is deep.

No toilets, no food, no shelter on the mountain. Take your own food and drink. Pee in the bush.

The good bit - it's all free, and the snow is beautiful, soft and fluffy.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hi teckel I thought a new toilet block was due to be ready for winter 2011?
Great to see such a good early cover though (;-)
Up at hotham at Present will try to get up to lmtn next dump

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Yes, winter hasn't started yet. Toilets will be in the new building. I've had a few of the workmen in here in recent days after chains, gloves, beanies etc. They think they'll finish the new building by Queens Birthday, but they'll probably have to put in a few weekends as well as nights to do it. They seem committed to finishing it on time.

The Victorian XC squad was training up there yesterday, and although they had access to the old main building, they wouldn't let anyone else in. They eventually gave some boiling water to a customer of mine whose wheel nuts were frozen after he got a puncture.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Update for Sunday. Good news. They have done snow clearing on the road. The main building may be open for toilets as a member of mgmt of LM is up there today. It depends whether he's skiing or in the building, as to whether the building will be open. But there won't be any food, drink or hire on the mountain. Chain carrying still advised.

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Awesome day up at Lake Mountain today. Had never been there before and was pleasantly surprised. More than enough snow up top, just a few thin patches down low (right down near the buildings).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass