1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Board Riders Please Read

Discussion in 'Ben Lomond' started by Bulldozer, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Bulldozer

Bulldozer First Runs

All snow boarders be warned that they will not be carried on Ski lifts unless they have a Board Leash correctly fitted to their Board and using it as designed.
    This is not a new rule but is being enforced this year. It is an Australian Standard so we dont have an option.
    Limited supply of leashes are available on the Mountain but I suggest you obtain one before travelling to the Mountain.

BD

2. Camelot

Camelot One of Us

Re: Snow Board Please Read

Can someone tell me why snowboarders are made to wear a leash? The only time it is on you are connected to the board by one or two bindings, when you take the board off and it is liable to get away from you the strap is not connected. Never seen anyone fall over and come out of their bindings.....

3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

when I first started boarding, the strap was an absolute prerequisite, but have noticed over the last 1-2years that they have all but disappeared.

why the sudden reinforcement? and why 2/3 through the season?

4. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Tasmanians
    weird

havne't worn a leash since 1996

5. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

gareth, according to the news I saw this morning the season has just started in Tas.

6. Donza

Donza Pool Room

#6 Donza, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  7. ghost

ghost First Runs

OHS nanny bloody state. I've skied around the world and snowboard leashes are not required because the snowboard can not run away from you when you are strapped in, even only one foot.

8. BenLomondBezzer

BenLomondBezzer Hard Yards

Thanks BD,

I'll let me friends know.

Might be worth sticking it under announcements on the snow report also?

Bezza

9. scalymanfish

scalymanfish A Local

Makes no sense at all. If anything a ski is much more likely to come off!

10. gareth_oau

I suppose the nannies could argue that as bindings get old, or frozen, they might release unexpectedly, especially when the board is dangling from only one binding whilst on a chair.

the dropping of the board is perhaps not the issue, but once it lands and starts to slide downhill at a great rate is does become an issue

At least skis have brakes on them

11. sircrackerjc

sircrackerjc Hard Yards

Was forced to buy one of these on monday morning upon arrival on the mountain and it was obviously the first day of enforcement because i was made by a 'supervisor' to show the towies what a leash infact was.
    I wouldn't mind wearing one if it was everywhere and we had chairlifts, but when your board doesn't leave the ground on the tows, and you are unclipping to ride the terrain park it was pretty frustrating.

No where i've been before has enforced this, why Ben?

12. Bulldozer

Bulldozer First Runs

1st Point, It is an Australian Standard
    2nd A proper leash will allow the Board to be carried with out being detached
    3rd, It has always been a requirement at Ben Lomond but it is not always easy to enforce when busy.

BD

13. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

So...are we selling 'proper' leashes that attach between knee and calf and have the length to allow the board to be carried? Or are we selling the next to useless little loop and clips that go from binding to boot lace?

I know when I was 'doing the right thing' and ensuring everyone had leashes I could only get a 'proper' leash from the US.

14. Nomad

Nomad First Runs

I'm sure boarders who don't read these forums could get away with a shoe lace as I saw happening today. The lifties are usually pretty gracious.

15. LittleHell

LittleHell First Runs

Snowboard leashes ay.. age old debate! As previous people have mentioned, unless the leash is long enough to allow the boarder to walk and remain attached what is the point? Skiers do seem more at risk of loosing equipment on the snow as it can be quite easy to click out of their gear.. The thread facilitator mentions 'Australian Standard' would you mind elaborating as to what Australian standard you are referencing?

16. ghost

ghost First Runs

1st point: It's a stupid standard that is probably 10 years old, OHS gone mad.(How many other "standards" are not being applied on Ben?)
    2nd point: there are no chair lifts an Ben! When you are in the tow you have to have a foot in the bindings, the board can not escape.
    3rd point: If its not about the tows then again its stupid and its not applied anywhere overseas, again a stupid old Australian standard written by some idiot in an office who hates snowboards (ie 10 years ago).
    Solution: put it on a sign, train the towies, tick all the standards boxes, then turn a blind eye to it. (sensible result all round).
    Non-solution: make a big deal of it, piss a lot of people off, and also make a killing selling leashes.
    Personally I'll have a shoe lace in my pack just in case as usually the anally retentive win in such cases.

17. LittleHell

LittleHell First Runs

This rule would make sense if skiers were made to wear them as well.. rouge equipment is dangerous but lets face it, without chair lifts it is much harder to lose your board than it is skis... A snowboarder will end up breaking their ankle or leg before their board leaves their person in the event of an accident... you cannot say the same for skis...

18. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Suprised that over the years no one has come up with a device that stops runaway boards when the feet are not buckled in,other than a leash,most of the runaway boards that I have seen over time have been in situations where the board was left unattended,like at mountain cafes or when the board was intentionally taken off,so in most of these sort of conditions a leash would serve no purpose.

19. ghost

ghost First Runs

Perhaps leashes are to stop the run away boards from the summit top cafe we have on Ben.

I've seen more run away beginners than snowboards so perhaps they should have leashes!

20. gareth_oau

tbh, I didnt wear a leash last time, but last time I did, it was no big deal.

Are we all getting wound up about nothing?

21. Mizu_Kuma

Mizu_Kuma First Runs

Just asking, does it stipulate on the lift ticket that one must be worn?????

22. WaitAwhile

until someone gets injured by a runaway board and OHS Department have to justify their existence.

23. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

skiers used to have to wear straps. then ski brakes were invented. brakes stop most runaway skis.

having to use a leash probably makes new boarders more aware of the risk of a runaway board.

24. Balidog

Balidog Guest

If they are so worried about OHS, why don't they pad up some of the hard concrete slabs that the tow poles sit on next to the tow path. Even in the past I have seen exposed poles or star pickets next to the bridges that lead up to dispatch pad. Not bad look if someone fell off and impaled themselves... snowboard leashes should be the least of their issues.

25. gareth_oau

under contract law, it must be stipulated on a big sign before you buy the lift ticket, otherwise it cant be enforced

#25 gareth_oau, Aug 18, 2012
  26. LMB

well.. I spent the entire day today in the park with about 50 other female snowboarders today. We all took our boards off A LOT. For group info, for photo ops, to hike back up to a particular feature... Not a single runaway board and no leashes.
    However I narrowly avoided getting hit by a runaway ski today. Skier above the traverse between Gunbarrel and the Cruiser area stacked it in powder. They were trying to come down, cross the two traverses and then continue through the trees - which given the crowds using the traverse was a dumb move anyway. Ski fell off and shot at head height down to the top traverse, hit it, continued at high speed across the bottom traverse and ended up a fair click down the hill amongst the trees.

It's about education and being responsible rather than butt covering in case of litigation...

#26 LMB, Aug 18, 2012
  27. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Oh, I dunno, I'd be more concerned about being unexpectedly slammed by a runaway snowboard, than falling on to a bit of concrete which would be partly my fault anyway!

As curra said, skiers once upon a time had to wear leashes, and weren't allowed on tows without them, so I'm a bit sympathetic to boardriders 'cause they were a PITA to do up

#27 Charlie, Aug 18, 2012
  28. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

I imagine your lovely ladies were learning on a fairly flat area, so a board is hardly going to achieve lift off velocity, whereas the lost ski would have been on a steep section.
    I don't think it's purely about litigation, the fact is, since skis were fitted with brakes, there is less likelyhood of a runaway ski as opposed to a runaway board

#28 Charlie, Aug 18, 2012
  29. Ben Who

Ben Who First Runs

The use of a restraining device is a requirement of the Alpine Responsibility Code which all resorts and Patrols endorse. If you have not read this look around the resorts and you will soon find it. If someone chooses to not follow the safety requirements of a lift company they are quite within their rights to not allow you to use their lifts.

The leash should be the first thing attached before you put your front foot in and the last thing detached after you have removed your feet from the bindings and picked up your board. As the above posts re skis demonstrate, safety devices such as brakes on skis are not foolproof but they certainly help to reduce the number of incidents of runaway skis and boards. It is not that big a deal - just put a leash on.

30. LMB

Charlie,
    Okay, it wasnt steep through the Merrits park. And while it was my first time learning park skills there were some very advanced groups and some impressive moves being busted out!
    Point being boards were on and off all day (and yes it was steep enough for a runaway) without an issue.

Yes the ski was lost in a high area, and the head height flight was more to do with it dropping from above than the speed that it came off. The skier was battling and it was a slow speed fall. I could see it about to unfold and stopped on the traverse as I thought they would land in front of me.

The point was skis self arrest is not always perfect, and more likely to happen than a runaway snowboard...even in a high risk environment like a large group of people removing thier boards all day long.

31. WaitAwhile

Fact 1` skis already have a safety device (ski-brake)that is incorporated into the bindings,they dont work 100% of the time,but they do work most of the time .The last time I looked at a snowboard there is nothing that will stop it once it runs away and as I said previously,most of the runaway boards I have seen is when the board has been left unattended and other factors have come into play, ie strong winds and blown over,knocked over by other people or at accident scenes on the mountain and people have taken off boards to render assistance and other skiers/boarders have ran into or over them and off they go

32. ghost

ghost First Runs

From Mount Buller: "Board Leashes required: No"
    Must have a different Australian Standard there!

33. Bulldozer

Bulldozer First Runs

#33 Bulldozer, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  34. poonwah

poonwah First Runs

i totally agree that this is pretty useless and frustrating but if you do have to wear a leash it truely isnt that big a deal.

i say suck it up put one on a go riding

35. ghost

ghost First Runs

Yep agree poonwah, I carry my piece of string.

Bulldozer: point 8 of a voluntary guide with no legal standing. AND I think bindings conform with point 8 anyway. Still missing that legally binding Australian Standard mentioned.

Noted also a lot of skis on ben have no brakes fitted (including hire equipment) with skis far more likely to come off and fly down the slope. Its just too easy to make stupid rules these days in the name of OHS that have nothing to do with OHS.

From Perisher: "Board Leashes required: No"

36. tom11

tom11 First Runs

In my opinion they are not needed these days, I can understand a need for a leash when you had the old step in snowboard bindings, where your contact to the board was only with 1 pin on either foot, but with "modern" bindings there is no way your going to come out of them, once straped in.

Yes there is the agruement about when straping in and out, but where do you draw the line, the dude hiking and carrying his board slips and drops it, gone, the board sitting out side the cafe, wind gets up and gone, etc, In the end i spose it comes down to, identifying the risk and minimising the risk, leash's on boards "MAY" help to reduce risk of runaway boards.

37. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Seen a japanese snow patrol guy come roaring down the mountain on a snow mobile with sirens blaring and lights flashing, he made a huge big sweeping turn and with one hand scooped up a runaway board!

38. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

2 Things.
    1) Anyone who skis on skis without brakes or restrains should get life ban. Runaway ski's don't kill the owner, they kill someone else.
    2) If me or my family, get hit by a runaway ski or board, and the resort was not enforcing the Code. Happy days!! I'll take that resort to the cleaners. And they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
    Sue the resort not the individual. They have the duty of care. Any idiot can buy a ticket.

#38 Astro66, Aug 20, 2012
  39. Barras

Barras Addicted

You mean like these?
    http://www.rac.net.au/stomp_pads_2.html

#39 Barras, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  40. Donza

Donza Pool Room

A ski with brakes can easily runaway
    Ive seen it tonnes of time.
    Binding not enabled properly. Brake up
    bye bye ski

snowboard leashes don't stop boards running away. Period

41. ghost

ghost First Runs

AstroSki66, on your point 2: we do not live in america, it is extremely unlikely that an individual could sue a resort for damages from an individuals runaway ski, this sort of legal scaremongering is why we have such stupid OHS rules being applied indiscriminately in the first place.

We will all end up wearing a piece of rope that serves no real purpose until some-one get strung up on a chairlift from the leash and then they will get banned, OHS stupidity goes in circles.

AND no-one seems to have addressed the issue as to why the major resorts in Australia do not require leashs but a tiny slope like Ben Lomond wants to ban boarders who don't have a leash through a rule that the rest of the world seems to have abandoned 10 years ago.

42. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Ghost. Tasmanians. Slow.

43. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

Just wear the bloody leash.

Never had an issue with wearing one in all my years and now it is just so second nature that I don't even think about it. [​IMG]

#43 Sadie, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  44. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Scaremongering.. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Welcome to the new millennium, dude.

I write code for a living, yet 50% of my work, is filling out OH&S paperwork. Why ? Because if I have not covered every angle, where something could go wrong, my company would get sued, when it does go wrong. And we have been stung.

"Duty of Care". Learn the words my friend. Might save you some money.

"She'll be right Mate". [​IMG] Try telling that to the Judge my friend.

#44 Astro66, Aug 22, 2012
  45. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

2 reported incidents this year of ski with boot but no skier making their way down the mountain.Apparently one of them was making lovely turns.

On the funny side, at water ramp someone forgot to attach their leash and spent some time diving for their ski. They found quite an assortment of skis before they finally found their own.

#45 skichanger, Aug 23, 2012
  46. Powder_skier

Powder_skier First Runs

A Ski does not have a leash ??? well mine Doesn't. [​IMG]

#46 Powder_skier, Aug 23, 2012
  47. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Not normally these days. Pre brakes they did. But at water ramp it is one of the accessories you need to retrofit.

48. xecute

xecute Hard Yards

My restraining device is the binding on my board. If my board 'runs away' I will be more worried about not having a foot anymore.

49. MarkGC

MarkGC One of Youse Ski Pass: Gold

That's a selfish attitude, what about the poor bloke who gets hit by a board with a dismembered foot attached! [​IMG]

#49 MarkGC, Aug 23, 2012
  50. Bulldozer

Bulldozer First Runs

So xecute you put your board on before you get out of your car and dont take it off till you get back in, Now that is something I would like to see. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#50 Bulldozer, Aug 23, 2012