Bug Report Snow Cam 'Tour'

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
The 'Tour' button to the top right of the snow cam images (between the arrows) appears greyed out and can't click. Bug or killed?

Have tried on chrome on both ipad and Mac

upload_2020-7-2_9-34-15.png

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
The 'Tour' button to the top right of the snow cam images (between the arrows) appears greyed out and can't click. Bug or killed?

Have tried on chrome on both ipad and Mac

upload_2020-7-2_9-34-15.png

The word 'Tour' has never been active - it's the left and right chevrons that advance or reverse the order of the tour. It's been that way for almost twenty years??

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Most curious that you not interpret the Chevrons as active, Chevrons as a 'next' and 'previous' button has been a UX standard for just as long. Makes me wonder how many others interpret that way ??

The Tour is the single most effective UX introduction ever placed on this site - increased snow cam views per visit by almost 300% way back in the when..

Reactions: climberman

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Most curious that you not interpret the Chevrons as active, Chevrons as a 'next' and 'previous' button has been a UX standard for just as long. Makes me wonder how many others intepret that way .

The Tour is the single most effective UX introduction ever placed on this site - increased snow cam views per visit by almost 300% way back in the when..
Ahh, it's been a while since I used it - I do just normally use the arrows. I thought, or perhaps expected, that the Tour button would be an autoplay/slideshow type approach. Given the incoming system, was going to sit it on my ipad while I worked for a bit. Is it also correct that if on an individual cam it won't autorefresh? need to refresh the page yourself?

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
And also in my eyes - the design of the < | Tour | > makes it look like 3 action buttons, with Tour inactive. Particularly placed between the arrows. IMO only FWIW, either the Tour icon should look less like a button, or perhaps placed to left or above of the arrows themselves

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
the Tour icon should look less like a button

Interesting observation, and would be a valid UX iteration - have burned that one into my mind for next version of design.

sit it on my ipad

This is the use-case scenario that changes the read (have looked at it again on my ipad and taken off my mental 'shoes' to fit into yours)

On desktop -> discovery that the word 'Tour' is just label in the middle of a button with two active ends is rapid, there is no mouse-over behavior on Tour whilst there is pointer icon change and active link label with mouseover on both chevrons.

Touch devices don't offer pointer mouseover signals - in which case I can see how you arrived at your interpretation - goes to show how long desktop-centric UX hangs on when evolving a site v's starting from scratch. That small element of UX has worked so well for 20 years that it's basically remained unchanged. The 'Tour' got my undivided attention with each redesign during the years 2000~2005 because it has so much leverage.

CCC513A5-5A6B-4BAA-8459-D504DC589C00.jpeg E0F60EA6-7F52-46AF-B72F-436EE5D86417.jpeg

Reactions: Chaeron

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Interesting observation, and would be a valid UX iteration - have burned that one into my mind for next version of design.

This is the use-case scenario that changes the read (have looked at it again on my ipad and taken off my mental 'shoes' to fit into yours)

On desktop -> discovery that the word 'Tour' is just label in the middle of a button with two active ends is rapid, there is no mouse-over behavior on Tour whilst there is pointer icon change and active link label with mouseover on both chevrons.

Touch devices don't offer pointer mouseover signals - in which case I can see your point.

CCC513A5-5A6B-4BAA-8459-D504DC589C00.jpeg E0F60EA6-7F52-46AF-B72F-436EE5D86417.jpeg
Yep, I started on the ipad which got me wondering, then went to mac to check it. I relate it to something that in old school HTML is formatted as a link, but the link isn't active. The same question remains for me on desktop as the design makes it look like it should be pressed - the lack of mouseover behaviour just reinforces to me that the lack of link/action is in the website, and not the browser failing to launch. WHen I looked at it again, what also drives an expectation for it to be an action button, is that literally all other icons in that block are - the 3 share buttons and the 2 arrows.

Anyway, just a perspective

Reactions: Chaeron

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
I think what is happening here is that on mobile devices anything that is one word text must be an action. So I’ll just set to hide below desktop.

The job it is doing is separating the two actions so that phat finger errors are reduced. Google seo looks for nice separation of clickable elements. Otherwise row is all utility so I can see the break in consistency creates an expectation.

I still think you are a bit of an outlier scenario in cludging how it works and thinking it was broken, but outliers help improve.. so all good.

Reactions: KylePee
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass