Snow Camping

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by plink01, Jul 7, 2018.

1. plink01

plink01 First Runs

Hey guys im looking to do some camping in/near the snow this year to try and save some money on accommodation. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good spots that is within about half an hours drive of one of the Victorian resorts (Buller, Falls or Hotham). There is a bit of info on this site but its all a bit old so i thought i'd start a new thread. I have a landcruiser with a rooftop tent so ideally i'd like to set up close to my fire. I also have a swag if i cant get my car into the campsite. Im going to Hotham in 2 weeks and im gonna try camping at JB Plain but from what ive read i wont be able to get my car in and have to leave it at the car park. Im also gonna try Victoria Falls in Cobungra. If successfull im gonna try a week in kosciuszko at Island Bend. Yeah so does anyone know any other good spots??

2. Seth

Seth Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

At JB you’ll be close enough to your car.

Victoria falls in cobungra will just be camping in winter. No snow sticks down there.

3. crackson

crackson A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

4. plink01

plink01 First Runs

Hey thanks for the link. Thats a handy thread but it doesnt really address places to camp. Heaps of knowledge though, im unsure how the rooftop tent will go in extreme winds! I think im gonna take my swag and if the winds get nasty roll that out instead.

crackson likes this.
  5. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

Mountain Creek Road, Tawonga puts you 40 or so minutes to Falls. Good water and you can pay for a shower at the caravan park. They still doing free showers at Q (Falls)? Roof top rear opening should get you into the camp area but there are logs to stop you driving in. Pretty close the tables and fireplace. We have had our side opener there several times. A swag would be handy if you don't want to pack up the tent each day but that does not take long anyway. Victoria Falls area is OK and you would be close to the car. Road is supposed to be dry weather only. Give Omeo PV a call to make sure it is open. Our tent is a Hannibal and has been in some pretty strong winds. The previous tent was OK as well and it was a cheapy. Just a bit more noisy and a lot less waterproof. You may need to sort out some firewood before you head. Both sites could be picked clean.

6. CaptainC

CaptainC Hard Yards

From Porepunkah you can head down the Buckland river road. There are a number of free campsite.

7. Barras

Barras Hard Yards

If skiing at Hotham and staying in a tent i would camp at JB, if using a roof top setup i would stay at Vic falls.

skifree likes this.
  8. plink01

plink01 First Runs

Hey thanks for the replies. Yeah i think im going to go to Hotham and try one night in each of jb and vic falls, unless i love jb! The closness to the resort looks great. Im going to bring a ton of wood with me and overpack with blankets and clothes. Im super excited, i just hope the weather stays ok. I bought some massive pegs and some more guy ropes today incase. I think i should be ok.

9. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Don’t camp on the lovely looking flat trail through JB plain or you’ll be woken up by a groomer through your tent.

Do take toilet paper for the long drop.

The hut & fire place is a little off the road so take a sled or tabboggon to shift fire wood from car to hut.

Don’t sleep in the hut, you won’t get any sleep.

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

For camping near Buller / Stirling you can camp at Carter's road.It is peaceful enough with a pit loo and a water source nearby but flat camp sites are hard to find there. Further away from Mirimbah but much nicer is Sheepyard flat.
    For Hotham and esp. Dinner Plain XC skiing JB Hut is the go. I am heading up there next month. I know the area well from bushwalking and camping there.
    For Falls Ck. ,Mountain Creek picnic ground , Tawonga is fine for camping.
    For camping near Harrietville, the Old Harrietville Road Bridge area past Bright has camp sites by the Ovens River. The camp site at Smoko is very rough for 2WD access in winter.
    Island Bend in the KNP is a decent spot for camping. Be well equipped for camping in the cold and icy winter driving conditions.
    The OP mentioned taking extra blankets etc. . I would recommend getting a top shelf snow camping sleeping bag made of duck down and a properly insulated sleeping mat or you will not have a pleasant time at all .

#10 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  11. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

Not required. The swag and the rooftop tent have a mattress which is more than adequate and blankets or doona will do just fine. Car camping is different to snow camping. You can carry more warm stuff from home.

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Bogong Village over by Junction of the two rivers....a little picnic area..sheltered with toilet and picnic tables tables ...gas bbqs I think.....for single night in tent or in van it would be ok....very beautiful scenery and roadway is good.I don't think you are allowed to camp for more than a night without causing trouble for caretaker of village.....

13. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

The sthn end of the lake ....is where a nice little picnic ground sits....some conifers exotics grass very well sheltered in a protected pocket of lush vegetation .

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  14. Dr_Phil

Dr_Phil Hard Yards

Any comments on how popular it is to camp at JB Plain? Like is it unusual to find someone camped there, 50/50 someone else is camped, almost certain someone else will be there, almost certain someone else will be there and there might might be up to n tents set up? Thanks for any opinions (start of August is when I'm thinking of checking it out)

15. Hermannator

Hermannator Addicted

Ha! People with hero passes stay there...

TBay likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

There's not much car camping near Falls. Road 24 is for staff parking. You could possibly use one of the power line access tracks but it'd be close to the road.