Snow chain hire?

Valleyboy

First Runs
May 26, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys,

My wife & I are heading to Thredbo for the first time this year and are hoping you regulars could help us out with a couple of questions:

1. Are snow chains required between the National Park gates & Thredbo? We will be driving to the Thredbo Alpine Hotel and leaving the car there for 5 days before driving back out. It would be a shame to have to pay for 5 days chain hire if they’re not required.

2. If snow chains are required, do you know if it’s possible to hire them in Jindabyne on the Sunday and drop them off somewhere in Thredbo the same day, then grab some in Thredbo on the way back out on Friday and drop them off in Jindabyne? Hence saving 3 days worth of chains hire?

Thanks for any assistance!
thumbsup.gif

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
As far as I know you are still not required to have chains for a 4WD in NSW, you must carry them for a 2WD.

Check ebay i bought them nearly as cheap as a hire, I havent used then so I may be flogging them as new when the car goes.

The chain pickup and drop off you wan't is not available as far as I know. Years ago I did a sneaky to Perisher (park at Sawpit) and could you believe it it snowed so much we had to hitch to Jindy and back to get some chains. Yes we were glad it snowed, no we were not happy with a 2hr wait for the return trip.

Then-poor uni student. Now-spolit brat who can afford chains.

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
I don't think I've heard of hiring in Jindy and then dropping off at Thredbo, however, I must admit that I do own my own.

But please, whatever you do, don't be one of the ones who tries to save a couple of dollars by not hiring for the course of your stay, only to end up getting caught out on the drive home by a snow shower and ending up in the ditch causing yourselves/car harm and subsequently holding up all who are following behind you.

Not cool!!!

agentBM

Part of the Furniture
Oct 27, 2000
Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
As per above, the ebay option is a good one. I bought some Konig chains, sure they are not the latest technology but they work. I paid $50 have had them three years. Basically hire for five days is about that much but then you have them for good, so next time it halves and so on. Much easier just having them in the bottom of the boot all the time. Depends on how often too, but I cannot recall any instance of hire in Jindy and drop off in Thredbo.

piolet

Better make it three
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
ditto the ebay option: i grabbed mine last autumn, $35 shipped to my door! too easy to just leave em in the car. can't remember the brand, but they seem to be good chains to me.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using