Snow chains advice Disco 4

PeterJN

Hard Yards
May 11, 2020
I'm going to buy some chains as I might want to start going to Vic. I live in Qld so not an easy thing to source here. I have a disco 4 with the standard 255/55 r19 wheels and Hancook dynapro ATM tires. I understand that I should get the konigs in size 265.
Any tips or issues I should be concerned about?
Thanks

Reactions: crackson

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
I'm going to buy some chains as I might want to start going to Vic. I live in Qld so not an easy thing to source here. I have a disco 4 with the standard 255/55 r19 wheels and Hancook dynapro ATM tires. I understand that I should get the konigs in size 265.
Thanks

I have konig xg-12 pro awesome pretty easy to fit, even for me and hard wearing.

Last edited:

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Roof Carrier Systems in Melbourne are great to deal with in terms of snow chain options, they helped me last year and they can post.

I have konig xg-12 pro awesome pretty easy to fit, even for me and hard wearing.
Except he lives in Qld ;) Postage would be exxy because of the weight.
Given that he's driving down (presumably down the Newell?), and seems to know what he wants, I'd suggest Albury/Wodonga stores or the ski towns.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Thanks

Konigs are great. Get the self tensioning ones.

Young Angus

One of Us
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
I had chains posted from Jindy to Geelong recently and it didn't cost that much, but why pay for postage if you're going to be driving to the ski resort anyway? Just drive and stop at one of the many good ski shops on the way and have them try a couple of sets of chains, probably just good Konig self tensioners, then you'll be able to make sure you get the clearance etc. on the spot.

Konig XG12 pro are good, just got some for our Forester, seem really good and easy to fit. I have Thule XS16 for my Disco 1 (245/75/16 tyres) and they are decent but a bit annoying...I did have Konig Magic 255s for the Disco but they got stolen and then I didn't want to pay for new replacements so I just got whatever I could second hand...really loved the Konig Magic chains though, if they fit I'd get them for sure they were great chains.

Reactions: crackson and teckel

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
I had chains posted from Jindy to Geelong recently and it didn't cost that much, but why pay for postage if you're going to be driving to the ski resort anyway? Just drive and stop at one of the many good ski shops on the way and have them try a couple of sets of chains, probably just good Konig self tensioners, then you'll be able to make sure you get the clearance etc. on the spot.

Konig XG12 pro are good, just got some for our Forester, seem really good and easy to fit. I have Thule XS16 for my Disco 1 (245/75/16 tyres) and they are decent but a bit annoying...I did have Konig Magic 255s for the Disco but they got stolen and then I didn't want to pay for new replacements so I just got whatever I could second hand...really loved the Konig Magic chains though, if they fit I'd get them for sure they were great chains.
Konig and Thule are one and the same.

Minion

Hard Yards
Mar 24, 2015
If your going past a shop like Rays in Myrtleford definitely worth dropping in as about 1 in 10 end up being slightly different to the size chart depending on tyre wear/manufacturer etc. The 12mm chains are fine if you have low clearance but a 16mm will last longer and the self tensioning Konig/Thule are the way to go unless you have deep tread tyres where the chains won't pull up easily and you will have to get out and readjust like a manual tensioning chain so could save some dollars by getting a V2 Traction chain.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I ended up getting the XG 12 for $280 delivered.
From OS.

Unfortunately no one in nsw even responded to my queries.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
I ended up getting the XG 12 for $280 delivered.
From OS.

Unfortunately no one in nsw even responded to my queries.
Yeah had the same issue, ended up getting them from VIC, went back for snow tyres. Some business know how to treat customers, others expect business to keep rolling through the door.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums