1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow chains for 285/70/R17?

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by Davidsch1, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Davidsch1

Davidsch1 First Runs

Hello,

I have a Nissan Patrol ST-L (2009) that has been fitted with Cooper ST MAXX tyres with the dimensions - 285/70/R17. Is there a snow chain that will fit this size, and if so, which brand/model? I have looked at Konig, Rud, etc... but can't seem to find a size that matches my tyres.

Kind regards,
    David

2. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

3. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

David here is an explanation of the M+S marking you refereed to in todays phone call...
    The Off-road, all-terrain AWD tyres you have on your Nissan Patrol are not specifically designed for winter/snow driving. These types of AWD tyres are designed for off-road driving on gravel, sand and rocks and may have a very high road noise level. Under cool conditions—not just cold or freezing conditions—the rubber in these tyres gets even harder.
    This stiffer tread compound does not conform to irregular road texture well, and as a result may have less actual contact with the road surface. Because these off-road tyres have very limited siping on their tread they provide little traction in icy conditions. Only severe service winter tyres, with the “snowflake on a mountain peak” icon, has the compound to remain soft and pliable at lower temperatures.
    The M+S marking on these tyres is very misleading. Many AWD tyres are rated M+S, M&S or M/S, i.e., mud and snow. Established by the USA Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), the M+S designation refers only to the tread pattern.
    The M+S standard calls for a tyre with grooves at the outside of the tread that extend into the centre. It also means that 25% of the tyre tread contact surface be open, i.e., a more open tread pattern. You will find the M+S symbol on most all-season tyres, on off-road and on all-terrain tyres and even some high performance summer tyres may have this designation. However, there are no performance standards to meet or traction tests to pass. Any tyre with grooves at angles and with 25% of the tread void can be labelled as M+S.
    On icy snow and on ice, the open tread grooves have zero effect on performance. Control of the vehicle comes strictly from equal parts of the tyre rubber compound that provides adhesion and the effects from the tread sipes.
    In 1999, the RMA defined a real “snow” or winter tyre with its severe snow-rating. All car and AWD tyres that pass this performance test are embossed with the “snowflake on a mountain peak” icon must provide traction at least 10% better than a standard reference test tyre. Off-road, all-terrain and all-season tyres, only marked M+S, do not pass this test.
    As you can see the M+S rating doesn’t really mean much. The severe snow rating does.

4. Ralph_implement

Ralph_implement A Local

David, they make them, I used to have this size tyre on my car but went bigger. OS01 is the size you are after in V2 Traction. They are not overly expensive.

5. Davidsch1

Davidsch1 First Runs

Thanks for the advice, I will be getting some in the near future. This has been very helpful!