Snow Check & Epic Aus Pass

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I have a snowcheck credit from Perisher for a lost day on the snow in 2019 after my wife dislocated her elbow.

The good news is that Perisher graciously extended the expiry on the credit when it became apparent that we were unable to travel to Perisher from Melbourne last year, and despite the stated expiration being 10 October 2021, it is still working.

The bad side is that it looks like, in order to use the snowcheck credit for the purchase of an Epic Aus Pass, I have to pay the full thing upfront? Otherwise it seems like only $49 from my snowcheck will be used, and the rest lost?

Has anyone else had the (mis)fortune to be in a similar situation, and did you just bite the bullet and buy the full pass?

Reactions: GlendaN

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Mate $49 is like a bottle of wine. Get over it.

Yes, and the snowcheck is for $191, so in effect I would be throwing away $142. It also means paying the remaining $668 upfront instead of deferring it until May next year.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Yes, and the snowcheck is for $191, so in effect I would be throwing away $142. It also means paying the remaining $668 upfront instead of deferring it until May next year.

So you need to choose between:

1. Saving $191
2. Losing the interest on $668 for 6 months?

Hmmm….

Reactions: skifree

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
So you need to choose between:

1. Saving $191
2. Losing the interest on $668 for 6 months?

Hmmm….

More like paying interest on home loan, as the money would come from the offset.

... So around 2% p.a., 7 months....
About $7 lost for $142 gained.

(What I was hoping to hear was that the snow check would be applied across the whole purchase price regardless, making the choice moot, and meaning that I pay $49 from the snow check now, $142 in May, leaving me the remaining $668 to pay in May, rather than now)

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
More like paying interest on home loan, as the money would come from the offset.

... So around 2% p.a., 7 months....
About $7 lost for $142 gained.

Don't you mean a credit card and I think you missed a digit there - 20%? Stick $668 on the credit card at an assumed 20% interest until May, that's about $42 in interest if you pay off your 20% credit card over 7 months.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Don't you mean a credit card and I think you missed a digit there - 20%? Stick $668 on the credit card at an assumed 20% interest until May, that's about $42 in interest if you pay off your 20% credit card over 7 months.

No, I mean that I have the money in the offset account for my home loan. By taking the money out of the account, it is no longer offsetting my mortgage, so it costs me ~2% per annum.

Swede

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 3, 2007
Woonona
I have no idea what a snowcheck credit is but if it’s like Perisher money in your account you could always just use it as beer money :)

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
I have no idea what a snowcheck credit is but if it’s like Perisher money in your account you could always just use it as beer money :)
Snowcheck is the credit note provided when can't use a lift pass due to extenuating circumstances (normally injury or illness where get a medical certificate). Pretty sure can only be used for lift passes and maybe ski school.

Reactions: nezumi
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

A rain check on lift passes as skinavy mentions, but with the name tweaked to be cute.

Hot_ham on Rye

Hard Yards
Oct 5, 2014
I get an email from Perisher on the 17th saying "Hurry lowest price ends 20th October,then 5 mins ago I get a txt saying Prices rise TOMORROW on the pass that pays for itself in just 5 days etc
What ? so does it end on Midnight 20th according to the email or midnight tonight according to the txt ??
I can't make the decision today 'cause of factors out of my control...
I know I've had a beer but is my logic skewed ???
:(

Reactions: GlendaN and nezumi

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
I get an email from Perisher on the 17th saying "Hurry lowest price ends 20th October,then 5 mins ago I get a txt saying Prices rise TOMORROW on the pass that pays for itself in just 5 days etc
What ? so does it end on Midnight 20th according to the email or midnight tonight according to the txt ??
I can't make the decision today 'cause of factors out of my control...
I know I've had a beer but is my logic skewed ???
:(
Looks like its midnight tonight Wednesday

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
I have a snowcheck credit from Perisher for a lost day on the snow in 2019 after my wife dislocated her elbow.

The good news is that Perisher graciously extended the expiry on the credit when it became apparent that we were unable to travel to Perisher from Melbourne last year, and despite the stated expiration being 10 October 2021, it is still working.

The bad side is that it looks like, in order to use the snowcheck credit for the purchase of an Epic Aus Pass, I have to pay the full thing upfront? Otherwise it seems like only $49 from my snowcheck will be used, and the rest lost?

Has anyone else had the (mis)fortune to be in a similar situation, and did you just bite the bullet and buy the full pass?
Not sure if you have bought already but my Epic refund letter had this advice about using the refund. Looks like I can just use it before the May 3 cut off. I'm assuming your snow check could be similar. There were other options but this one let's me just pay the $49 initially. Price goes up tonight.

Screenshot_20211020-062433_Gmail.jpg

Reactions: nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Not sure if you have bought already but my Epic refund letter had this advice about using the refund. Looks like I can just use it before the May 3 cut off. I'm assuming your snow check could be similar. There were other options but this one let's me just pay the $49 initially. Price goes up tonight.

Screenshot_20211020-062433_Gmail.jpg

Ahhh, thanks!

I did already decide to use it and pay upfront, as the voucher was originally from the 2019 season for use in 2020, and was then extended to 2021. Ostensibly it had already expired when I did use it, but as it was coming up as valid, I decided it was worth it to just go ahead and buy now.

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
Ahhh, thanks!

I did already decide to use it and pay upfront, as the voucher was originally from the 2019 season for use in 2020, and was then extended to 2021. Ostensibly it had already expired when I did use it, but as it was coming up as valid, I decided it was worth it to just go ahead and buy now.
Probably the best option @nezumi hopefully we all get to enjoy the snow in 2022

Reactions: Jonathan_P
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass