1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Gear help/ recommendations

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Elinivholson, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Elinivholson

Elinivholson First Runs

Hey guys, I am a 20 year old going on my first trip to Hakuba Japan with friends to experience the snow season starting in December.

I am hoping to get some advice on the best places to buy snow gear and equipment. I have noticed that gear can be very expensive and I don’t want to leave it to the last minute and buy in japan.

I am hoping to find some cheap gear which will last me the season and be up to standards to compete with the japan snow climates.

Am I better off buying new snow gear ( jacket, pants, gloves, boots etc) or should I try and find a cheaper second hand option and where would be the best places to look. I have had issues in the past with buying clothes online so am a but skeptical as I have not yet figured out my size.

However I am planning on going to a store within the week to try out sizes etc

Thanks eli

2. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Eli, if you are spending the season in Hakuba I'd recommend visiting stores in Tokyo. Much cheaper than AUS.

If it's a quick trip, try the web stores like Level 9 etc. They stock gear from previous seasons at 'reasonable prices'.

blowfin likes this.
  3. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

If you're going for a full season invest in good gear as you'll get enough use out of it to make it worthwhile IMO. Now is a good time to buy in Aus as stores discount stock to clear it out as the home season has just ended.

4. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

How big are you? (height, weight)
    There's lots of cheaper gear in Tokyo. Have a look in our equipment forum for the buying guide for Toyko.
    I'll be posting info for bargains in the next couple of months.

5. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Sandy likes this.
  6. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

lehb and skifree like this.
  7. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Get on Gumtree, FB market place etc in Aus now also start scouring Aussie shops for end of season bargains. For a full season buy quality brands second hand if necessary like Arcteryx, Black Diamond etc (note I dont include Burton in that group) Gortex Gortex Gortex!. Also buy some new base layers that are breathable and moisture wicking. Some nice mid layers and a pretty crap jacket for going out in so you can leave your good gear at home. Many jackets go missing every season in Niseko, sometimes left by owners who wake up without it, sometimes stolen. Dont be that guy. The uglier the less likely someone will take it.