1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Guarantee?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by DVS, Jun 16, 2008.

1. DVS

DVS Hard Yards

Hate to put a downer on things, but with the current state of affairs and the weather forecasts for the next week or so, does anyone have an idea if the Snowsports Guarantee is in effect?

Has anyone had previous experience of it?

I see the website is claiming Broadwalk and Mousetrap as "Groomed runs". Surely that is one run with two lifts?

Let's hope I don't have to worry about it...

2. The Stig

The Stig Hard Yards

The season started last week, what about the people who had booked for the opening weekend?
    Does anyone book opening weekend? Very Brave

3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

People book opening weekend to party, not ski. There was plenty of that going on.

Never expect to ski in June. If it snows, make a booking and get up there. But "normal" is skiable snow beginning early to mid July.

Opening is a landmark for everyone to finish their building projects, start getting staff on board etc. It is not when skiing normally happens.

4. DVS

DVS Hard Yards

All very interesting...

I am going in July...

What about the guarantee?

5. currawong

I haven't cared about thec snow guarantee for a long time, not all that up on it, but this is what it says
    So the guarantee would operate now - for those lodges that offer it.
    In the old days the guarantee was 5 drag lifts in the Sun Valley area. That usually meant Tom Thumb, Playground x 2, Towers x 2.
    These days I think it would mean Mousetrap/Boardwalk, Main Street and either Highway 83 or Drovers. If they are nasty they could try to count Boardwalk separately. But they still need another lift and Main Street is the next easiest run to get open.

#5 currawong, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  6. currawong

An version of the guarantee is
    I think this wording would allow Boardwalk to be counted in the 3. But you still need another lift, and normally Towers would be it.

#6 currawong, Jun 16, 2008
  7. Maxcimus

Maxcimus Hard Yards

Would any of you experienced falls patrons think that any of the current snow will hang around long enough until the possible top up thursday night(and following) to allow lifts to be open from say monday onwards? trying for a refund may be an option..

8. currawong

There's sfa there now, so whether it melts or not doesn't really effect next week. A quick glance at the 6 day models has me thinking that it probably won't be skiable out of the system coming at the end of the week.

why did you book for this time of year? it's better to play wait and see before mid July. you can always hastily arrange a trip if we get early snow.

9. Maxcimus

Maxcimus Hard Yards

Its our first time heading to one of these resorts, kind of just assumed that because the season would be open there would be snow.. our mistake i guess. Our chances are very poor then?

10. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I really feel this post sums up the chasm like difference between the Family who as a one off trip of a lifetime makes exciting plans to head to the snow for June School Holidays..and the hardcore snowsporster who doesn't understand the conflicts of work, school, family and finance...understanding only the Pavolvian imperative that 45cms of fresh brings.
    To a great number of people I would suggest what maxcimus says is fair and reasonable.
    If the resorts say they are open at a particular time and take pre-bookings..then one would asume there will be skiing.

#10 MisterMxyzptlk, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  11. currawong

that's akin to taking a cheap booking in FNQ in cyclone season and then being disappointed about the weather.

I do have sympathy for people starting out in snowsports, and people locked into school holidays, but if I was spending a lot of money on a new sport in a new environment, I would do some research. Low and shoulder seasons are there because the snow is less reliable. High season probably shouldn't start till end July, but school holiday demand brings it earlier than normal weather warrants.

i spent over 20 years travelling to ski holidays before I moved up here. I never ever booked earlier than last week of July. I did did do lots of June and July weekends when conditions turned out to be good.

12. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I've been skiing at Falls Creek for 23 years and in that time have usually been able to ski in the last week of June. In fact the snow last year was quite good at this time and didn't really improve for the remainder of the season.
    School holidays really lock people into early or late skiing and although it is somewhat cheaper to rent apartments in the last week in June they don't exactly give them away. If everyone waited to book as you suggest we wouldn't have people prepared to invest in the snow, as you can't make a profit out of the last 2 weeks in July and 4 weeks in August.

13. The Stig

The Stig Hard Yards

Does anybody actually know of anyone who has ever got their money back?

14. old mate

old mate First Runs

My first ever trip to the snow was at falls and it was in 1995 or 96 a while back any way with my parents. Fisrt time for us all. Went during Qld school hols. Stayed at Falls creek hotel. Great place to stay been back over the years. We had towers, tom thumb, cloudnie and ruin castle open when we got there. Had 2 days of skiing, then r#$n for a soild day or two. A total wash out.

We should have been their for 10 days, but people were leaving left, right and centre. The snow guarantee that they had allowed us to get our money back on unused time spent there, lift passes and lessons, which was great for mum and dad.

We travelled over to therdbo and continued our ski holiday there. Over the years as we have become better skiers, and I have got a family of my own we have gone back to falls as they did right by us the first time and have now got 2 families custom over the past 10 years. But we go in peak time and don't mind paying.

15. DVS

DVS Hard Yards

Perhaps they should have a "no-cyclone guarantee"? [​IMG]

As suggested, we did our research, and we realised that for us skiing was only really an option with the snow guarantee. You are absolutely right, why would anyone consider going otherwise?

Sadly, with things looking grim, we're making back-up plans, but they really depend on us getting a refund. So I'm curious about any previous experiences with the guarantee.

#15 DVS, Jun 17, 2008
  16. DVS

DVS Hard Yards

That's fantastic news Old Mate!

We went last year for our first time skiing and had an absolute blast. Even talked a couple of extra families to fork out the big bucks to do the same this year. We love the place and would go back in a blink of an eye.

#16 DVS, Jun 17, 2008
  17. Apresski

If there is no snow on the horizon by tomorrow, I will let you know.

#17 Apresski, Jun 18, 2008
  18. The Stig

The Stig Hard Yards

Thanks Apresski

Appreciate the "heads up" and any info

19. Maxcimus

Maxcimus Hard Yards

Rang my accommodation earlier, they are prepared to give a full refund minus the booking fee which is 150 between 4 people so not a great loss. Still it is rather depressing.. Anyone think this system could deliver 20cm + for FC to get something open?

20. Airefuego

Airefuego One of Us

Max: that's good news on the refund... [​IMG]

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I would say there may be a little snow this weekend for Falls, but we are talking a few inches, not much more. Worse yet, temps are forecast to stay above zero for the next few days and nights - and it looks like a damp weekend - any snow will be preceded by rain - so not great for snowmaking. [​IMG]

"Less that three runs open" as the snow guarantee condition is appallingly stingy in my view... Hotham's precondition is 5 lifts open - that's a fair bit more even though they will mostly be beginner lifts and tows.

#20 Airefuego, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  21. DVS

DVS Hard Yards

Sorry to hear your holiday has turned sour. Can I ask when you were meant to be going?

#21 DVS, Jun 18, 2008
  22. Maxcimus

Maxcimus Hard Yards

We were supposed to arrive at falls creek this sunday and stay until friday for 5 days of boarding. Contemplated a mission up to perisher for the man made stuff but that looks like its not worth it either..

23. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

No Currawong, given that these people have booked for the "Peak Season", it is like booking to go to FNQ during July....and then getting blown away by a Cyclone !

Apart from locals and Melbournians with 4 wheel drives with chains, who can jump in the car Friday afternoon and run up the hill for a quick ski when they want to.....this could be the season that ends people coming across country to ski.

Next year we will go to FNQ or Broome for our July School Holiday and then go to Japan or Canada the next January instead.

24. Apresski

I have just cancelled my booking. The cost is 15% of the booking which is $300 and I had a booking with Pyles for $174 which cannot be refunded at this stage in the game, so no skiing and $474 lighter in my bank balance! Oh well better than looking at the rain for a week with a 19 and a 15 year old getting bored and whinging about the dreadful Australian snow conditions.

#24 Apresski, Jun 19, 2008
  25. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

I was told by my accom provider that they were making snow last night....the cams today would suggest otherwise.

to quott them...
    The problem we are having at the moment is the warm days. Snowmakers have been working every night and up until Wednesday the beginners area was open. But the warm days have melted what was made. Snow is forecast for this weekend and today has been foul so I hope it happens. The predication is for day time maximums of 4 and below for the next week so at least the man made stuff will hold.

The snow guarantee is definitely available if 3 runs are not open 48 hours prior to your arrival.

26. Apresski

Well if they were making it last night it is not evident on the cams. I suppose if they were making it on Monkey Bar (I think that's what it is called, I still call it Playground)we wouldn't be able to see it 'cause I don't think they have cams on that slope.

27. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

what happens with the guarantee if it rains 50 cm next mon/tues and all the snow gets washed away, but you are already 2 days into your 1 week holiday ?

28. Apresski

Old mate referred to this earlier in the thread. It depends where you are staying and whether they offer a snow guarantee.

29. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte One of Us

I think you would S.O.L. if that happened. The guarantee states:

#29 Ulmerhutte, Jul 3, 2008
  30. qldskier

qldskier First Runs

Hi everyone.
    Just a note to relate my experience with the snow guarantee.
    Coming from Qld it is a big deal to get to Falls Creek (driving) and we have tried to work it in the Qld school holidays. I have skied in NSW but was attracted to Falls by the guarantee and lots of good reports of the place. I had first booked in 2005 and then again in 2006 for the last week of June and we skied both times. This time, as we all know...no snow in June. Our family has always stayed at Gebi's and since the sale, now booked through the Falls Creek Reservation Centre. So on 19 June (72 hrs before we were due to arrive) I had to make the call and claim the snow guarantee. The Reservation Centre said, "Not a problem" and with no hesitation I got back the full amount paid - over $1600 (accom and ski lessons, hire etc). They did not even deduct any booking fee. So the guarantee does work and all was OK, except for the fact that we missed out on skiing for 2008. (Next year I will probably book later, because it was a big strain on everyone - this "will we" or "won't we" be going)
    PS. this is my first every blog.

31. Apresski

I'm with you, I shall never book in advance for the school hols. again. Pretty jealous of everyone up there now that the snow has deigned to arrive and son is back at school.