Send Scottski a PM, he would know all about it
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
know someone who went this year. Very little snow. go to japan to ski.

NIFF

Hard Yards
Sep 21, 2004
I've heard the skiing is OK near Har Bin.

Substantial snowfall from same storms that hit Japan (without moisture loading from Sea of Japan of course).

Popular with expats working in Nth China.

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
I give the same answer every time:

I have skied many resorts in China. But only because I am desperate, I live here and am invited by super-keen colleagues. None are any good from a snow and terrain perspective if you are anywhere past beginner level.

Maybe great Chinese resorts will be developed, but that will take 20 years. If you want skiing then come with low expectations, if you want to see China and people then there are better ways and places to do it.

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
China has a carpload of snow and a heap of huge mountains - its just that the resorts aren't on the good ones!

I was at Mustagh Ata last weekend - at 7500m, defintely a reasonably sized mountain. Now if only the Chinese were as good at building lifts as they are at mowing down ancient architecture and throwing up big ugly square pink buildings, we'd be laughing...

Steve G

First Runs
Jun 5, 2004
Melbourne
I heard it doesn't actually snow that much, just very cold and dry? I was expecting a few meters a sea level right up north? Where can I find this stuff out? Thanks

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
buckwheat said:
China has a carpload of snow and a heap of huge mountains - its just that the resorts aren't on the good ones!

I was at Mustagh Ata last weekend - at 7500m, defintely a reasonably sized mountain. Now if only the Chinese were as good at building lifts as they are at mowing down ancient architecture and throwing up big ugly square pink buildings, we'd be laughing...
Wow, now that's geting out there. Mustagh Ata is in west of Xinjiang province (I had to look it up). That's basically Tibet/Kazakhstan and the Himalayas. That would explain the carpload of snow.

Shanghai-Xinjiang is a similar distance to Perth-Brisbane.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

NIFF

Hard Yards
Sep 21, 2004
The city I was talking about is Harbin not Har Bin.

A quick google search shows the ski resort near there is called Yabuli & it is China's largest. It supposedly averages 300" of snow per season,which is low compared to Hokkaido but more than quite a few well known Canadian & European resorts. However who knows whether that figure is reliable ?

It has 17 lifts & about 2,100 vertical feet, and quite likely has better terrain than the grossly overrated Niseko (which wouldn't be hard).

Worth a visit if you're in that neck of the woods I'd reckon.

See

http://www.travel-of-snowboarding.com/asia/china/shanxi/skiresort-yabuli.asp#specs

and

http://www.business-in-asia.com/skidragon.html

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
I've been to Harbin and Yabuli resort and it's not very good. Yabuli has the rep as being China's best ski resort.

The 300" is apparently b.s. (statistics in China are flexible) but it's very cold and the snow doesn't melt. By very cold I mean f'ing freezing - latitude is above Vladivostok in Russia. In January the average daily temp is around -20C.

I keep saying it. Skiing in China is crap. OK to go for the experience, but not the terrain or snow.

Clarke

First Runs
Dec 20, 2005
Sorry to get in on this so late, but was referreed to this thread by Zero.
I found out from another board that the place is called Pingtian. www.pingtianresorts.com
I’ve been to Yabuli and agree with Zero. Really bland
Hopefully this new place will be better.
c.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass