Question Snow in lowlands

Kyle naquesage

First Runs
Jun 10, 2016
Melbourne
Hi

I am posting to find a starting point for some research for an art project.

Myself and my partner want to photograph horses in the snow around the Victorian alpine region or even the snowy mountain region. We are not sure where to start looking for farmland that would get enough for a snowy backdrop or if the wild brumbies stay up high enough to catch them in the snow.

I know the question is a bit vague but as I said a starting point for research or for a discussion would be great

regards Kyle

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Morning Kyle, while I and probably lots of members here have plenty of photos and video footage of brumbies above the snowline (last year at around 2000m) I think you will find we actually loath the feral mongrel things, are passionate about the natural environment of the high country and would prefer they weren't there at all. May be better seeking info from brumby lovers forum

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Not very nice responses. Don't blame the horses. They are beautiful creatures, doing what they can to survive. Blame those who set their ancestors free - it's not the horses' fault.

So you don't mind baiting bunnies with Pindone? A nice 3 day death that one. Do you mind the baiting of foxes and wild dogs with 1080, guaranteeing 6 to 8 hours of horrid agony before they die? If you don't mind their horrid deaths why are horses so special?

Reactions: qwill

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
There is a mob of brumbies that hang about the Thredbo River around Dead Horse Gap, up the road from Thredbo. You may find them. You may not. You will find horse poo. The horses should not be there.

Reactions: Myazma

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
So you don't mind baiting bunnies with Pindone? A nice 3 day death that one. Do you mind the baiting of foxes and wild dogs with 1080, guaranteeing 6 to 8 hours of horrid agony before they die? If you don't mind their horrid deaths why are horses so special?
Where did that come from? I hate all cruelty to all mammals, including horses, dogs, foxes, people and rabbits.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Interesting responses. Wonder what impression the OP will leave forums.ski.com.au with?
Probably regret asking a question about feral animals in a ski forum where it seems the majority don't care for their presence in the natural environment. Very hard not to be cynical about anyone seeking to show feral horses in a positive light considering the upcoming cull. Teckel I'd actually blame those horsey lovers now that want to protect them. Gold mining at Kiandra, I'd love to be able to go there and continue doing what has historically and culturally occurred there but I'm not a twat, foxes, pigs, rabbits, dogs just as majestic as horses in my opinion.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
@Kyle naquesage

Hi

I am posting to find a starting point for some research for an art project.

Myself and my partner want to photograph horses in the snow around the Victorian alpine region or even the snowy mountain region. We are not sure where to start looking for farmland that would get enough for a snowy backdrop or if the wild brumbies stay up high enough to catch them in the snow.

I know the question is a bit vague but as I said a starting point for research or for a discussion would be great

regards Kyle

Hi @Kyle naquesage

If you were to head to Yarrangobilly NSW per the maps below.. .and turn off to the Long Plain, left of the Snowy Mountains Highway as you come from the West (Tumut).... you will see Brumbies.

Screenshot 2016-07-30 08.48.32.jpg
Screenshot 2016-07-30 08.49.01.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cin

art

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
long plain road is closed in winter.
Around 3 mile dam near mount selwyn would be the easiest place to access with a resident brumby population.
take a long lens as they take off quickly if you try and get close

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Hi @Kyle naquesage

If you were to head to Yarrangobilly NSW per the maps below.. .and turn off to the Long Plain, left of the Snowy Mountains Highway as you come from the West (Tumut).... you will see Brumbies.

Screenshot 2016-07-30 08.48.32.jpg
Screenshot 2016-07-30 08.49.01.jpg
I heard recently there was a horse massacre by some unscrupulous shooter up there. Came across a pregnant mare this morning that I doubt will survive next weeks snowfall, but it took a fantastic photo

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass