1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Kat

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by sketchy, Jul 29, 2008.

1. sketchy

sketchy First Runs

Hi All!

It's my third trip to Falls this year and I was thinking of doing something a bit different. I was thinking maybe a heli-link to Hotham or maybe some kat skiing, although I can't find any info about that this year. I'd really like to try some back country stuff, but I'm unsure what the terrain is like or whether it's worth it.

Any advice appreciated.

2. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Well my first time to Falls in a few weeks.

I'll prob hit the Heli to Hotham for the view and as Hotham is great in a good snow year [​IMG]

Back Country stuff, not the right person to ask sorry

#2 skiflat, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Kat skiing is a really great experience if your lucky enough to be there when its running, even if you don't get great fresh snow. Has been a lot of fun on warm spring days. There are a couple threads on here about it. The terrain you can ski out there is unreal, better than anything with in resorts in Australia but you have hike it(not with the kat tour), isn't anything that crazy where the kat takes you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 parkmonkey, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  4. TJ

TJ One of Us

Try the Rocky Knolls for a good easy introduction to back country at Falls. Make sure you do it on a clear day with a friend and beware the weather can change fast. Take the basic survival stuff. Next trip maybe out to Mckay. It's all easy access with lots of groomed cc trails out there. Take it slow and learn the area. If you go down somewhere make sure you are prepared to hike back up.

5. sketchy

sketchy First Runs

Thanks everyone. Hiking doesn't appeal so much, but if the kat is running, I might try that.

6. dansan

dansan First Runs

Heading to falls next weekend from Sydney and pretty stoked ahead of checkin one of the VIC resorts for the first time.

Requesting advice on whether it would be worth packing the snowshoes and hiking either the Rocky Knolls or Mt McKay for a line or two. Have spent quite a few trips boarding in Main Range so def precautions first and would look for blue-bird day before hitting it.

Any thoughts on time to climb Mt McKay, etc ?? Other Powder stashes ??

Cheers.

7. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Walking out to Mt McKay from the top of Ruined Castle is pretty easy and with snow shoes you can walk up the road to the top of McKay reasonably easy then ski back to the road area. Doing a few runs is very doable.

As for the Kat, I have done that twice now and it really is worth it but I have not seen it running for a few years due to conditions, I will find out the status for 2008

Here is my McKay report and a link to my McKay Gallery

http://ausi-ski-bum.com/Falls-Creek-Mt-McKay.htm

http://ausi-ski-bum.com/Falls-Creek-McKay-Gallery.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#7 ausi ski bum, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  8. dansan

dansan First Runs

thanks for the info. Will def pack the snowshoes for a hike.

9. dansan

dansan First Runs

ASB - seeing if you found out the status of the Kat ?? Otherwise it may be a hike next weekend (although the fronts are lining up to deliver more snow to resorts so could be worth staying in-bounds).

Look forward to your response.