1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow making around the Village Bowl/Exhibition etc

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by tr+h, Jun 24, 2010.

1. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

I am of the understanding that there is no snowmaking on that side of the mountain. Am I corect ?

If that is so, is it likely to happen ever?

The bowl image is one of the marque images of Falls but it looks pretty bleak at the moment and would look so much better with some man-made white stuff!

2. Stratus

Stratus A Local

The center of attention seems to have shifted to Falls Express / Quay West.

I do hope, one day, they will extend the system over to the north side, and make snow on Summit and surroundings.

3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

a system was put in years ago but was never that good. they still use a gun around the race line on summit to patch it up. given how successful the wombats snowmaking project has been, you'd have to think that it is technically feasible to do it on summit and inter. chit chat says that all the pipes would have to be replaced if they were going to do serious snowmaking in the bowl & inter. the sad truth is that they figure there is more profit in catering for beginners and low intermediates than for more advanced skiers. don't hold your breath

4. h2oskier

h2oskier One of Us

yep. the lakeside area will become a chairlift and be fitted out with guns before summit/inter gets snowmaking IMO. summit/inter would then be the only area of the mountain without snowmaking infrastructure though. never say never.

5. currawong

they've been talking about a chair on lakeside for a very long time. not sure it's such a good idea. a drag lift gives more options in bad weather

they've also been talking about replacing eagle as a priority. also (less credible) murmurs about replacing gully.

i would love to see snow making on summit and inter, and it seems such a shame that infrastructure was put in that is ineffective. but i'm just not hopeful that it will happen any time soon

6. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte One of Us

I was told that water for snow making on the Sun Valley side is cheaper on the basis that the run-off returns to the dam. Sounds plausible, and perhaps somebody with knowledge could verify.

The other issue is that the Summit area faces roughly north, so much harder hit by the sun.

7. currawong

but wombats faces north and snowmaking seems to be working there

below the raceline may be an issue for loss of water (as it is low on wombats) but most of summit and village are above the raceline and therefore water used there is returned to rv dam

8. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte One of Us

I think FC has to try to keep Wombat's open - major beginner run and access back to the village. So, they are probably prepared to spend on snow-making there, even though the sun will thrash it sooner than something facing south.

Your second point makes sense. I was only repeating what I was told - I should have thought about it some more.

9. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Full snowmaking down wombats was a great idea. Specially if your in Quay West or any lodges around FC, even in a bad ski year, you can still have virtually ski-in ski out.

Wombats, although facing north, does have some tree shelter (which would also shelter warm N'ly winds in parts), so the snow would hold their a little better then other N facing areas IMo..

10. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

If the focus is on ski-in, ski-out and beginner type skiing, then surely the nexy piece of snow-making infrastructure would be snow making on broadway and at the bottom of the Eagle chairlift. That would then lead towards Summit/Exhibition surely.

Where do I sign the petition?