Snow NSW camping

plink01

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2018
Hey guys I'm heading up to NSW from Vic this weekend for a 10 day snowboard trip at both Thredbo and Perisher.
I normally camp at Hotham so I have no dramas camping.
I'm mainly just wondering what the firewood situation is like. Im going to be camping at Island Bend for Perisher and Ngargio for Thredbo by the look of it.
Firstly does that sound like a good idea? Are there any other better more secluded spots nearby?
And yeah the firewood, I always take my chainsaw but is it kosher to take wood from near the sites?? Or is there a better spot outside of the parks.
I'll be bringing a bunch of dry wood from home but that ain't gonna last 10 days, that's more to get the fire started.

Also is hitchhiking a thing up there??

Sorry one other thing is it possible to have my car close to where I camp at ngargio? I just sleep in my swag but I like the awning over it when the weather gets wet.

Thanks!!

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Re Ngarigo, we bring our own firewood mainly because i want it to be dry seasoned hard wood that will burn easily and for a long time. People do seem to collect it from nearby but technically you're supposed to byo as i understand it. Chainsaws are a no go in NSW national parks and are expressly banned under the National Parks and Wild Life Regulations Act 2009 (NSW), Part 2 Division 3 Clause 11.

There are a few limited spots where can pitch next to your car but generally no, you park and walk you kit to the grassed area.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Hi ya,
Chainsaws are not allowed at Ngarigo and Island Bend and local firewood is scarce, more so Ngarigo, which is super popular vs Island Bend.
Both are great campsites, Ngarigo is only 7 minutes from Thredbo and a good hitching option.
Island Bend is lovely but more remote and far less vehicles to get a ride from and probably 20 minutes from Guthega, which you can link to Blue Cow and Perisher via the interlinked lift system.
If it’s windy, both campsites can be tent destroying.
Perisher is better! :cool:

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
There is one permissible way to harvest firewood in the NP, steal it from the other campsites! Apparently it's the done thing!*

*dont!

plink01

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2018
Ok awesome, thanks for the help!

Right well I will load the landcruiser with as much firewood as physically possible and I spose I'll re stock and blow a weeks wage on firewood when I head into Jindabyne halfway through the trip. I'll keep the chainsaw at home then, that means I can squeeze in more wood!

Ok well I wont bother trying to hitch at Perisher but I'll give it a crack at Ngargio. I'd love a few days where I could leave everything set up at camp and hitch to the mountain and have a proper drink with lunch/afternoon and hitch back. It looks like I'll be having small fires so I'll have to be in bed early before I freeze.

Wind shouldnt be a drama in my swag. Strange question but are there many people with fires going?? I'd happily chip in some wood, it would help my wood go a bit further. In other words is it very communal?? I'm used to Hotham where I pretty much hide away, but I love a drink and could definately do communal a few nights.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Ok awesome, thanks for the help!

Right well I will load the landcruiser with as much firewood as physically possible and I spose I'll re stock and blow a weeks wage on firewood when I head into Jindabyne halfway through the trip. I'll keep the chainsaw at home then, that means I can squeeze in more wood!

Ok well I wont bother trying to hitch at Perisher but I'll give it a crack at Ngargio. I'd love a few days where I could leave everything set up at camp and hitch to the mountain and have a proper drink with lunch/afternoon and hitch back. It looks like I'll be having small fires so I'll have to be in bed early before I freeze.

Wind shouldnt be a drama in my swag. Strange question but are there many people with fires going?? I'd happily chip in some wood, it would help my wood go a bit further. In other words is it very communal?? I'm used to Hotham where I pretty much hide away, but I love a drink and could definately do communal a few nights.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Lots of folks with fires going usually, if you see us at Ngarigo feel free to join our fire pit. Will be set up with our orange msr tent.

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass