1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow NSW camping

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by plink01, Jul 29, 2019.

1. plink01

plink01 Hard Yards

Hey guys I'm heading up to NSW from Vic this weekend for a 10 day snowboard trip at both Thredbo and Perisher.
    I normally camp at Hotham so I have no dramas camping.
    I'm mainly just wondering what the firewood situation is like. Im going to be camping at Island Bend for Perisher and Ngargio for Thredbo by the look of it.
    Firstly does that sound like a good idea? Are there any other better more secluded spots nearby?
    And yeah the firewood, I always take my chainsaw but is it kosher to take wood from near the sites?? Or is there a better spot outside of the parks.
    I'll be bringing a bunch of dry wood from home but that ain't gonna last 10 days, that's more to get the fire started.

Also is hitchhiking a thing up there??

Sorry one other thing is it possible to have my car close to where I camp at ngargio? I just sleep in my swag but I like the awning over it when the weather gets wet.

Thanks!!

2. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Re Ngarigo, we bring our own firewood mainly because i want it to be dry seasoned hard wood that will burn easily and for a long time. People do seem to collect it from nearby but technically you're supposed to byo as i understand it. Chainsaws are a no go in NSW national parks and are expressly banned under the National Parks and Wild Life Regulations Act 2009 (NSW), Part 2 Division 3 Clause 11.

There are a few limited spots where can pitch next to your car but generally no, you park and walk you kit to the grassed area.

skifree, Billy_Buttons and Ozgirl like this.
  3. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Woolies sell fire wood.

Sage Oya likes this.
  4. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Hi ya,
    Chainsaws are not allowed at Ngarigo and Island Bend and local firewood is scarce, more so Ngarigo, which is super popular vs Island Bend.
    Both are great campsites, Ngarigo is only 7 minutes from Thredbo and a good hitching option.
    Island Bend is lovely but more remote and far less vehicles to get a ride from and probably 20 minutes from Guthega, which you can link to Blue Cow and Perisher via the interlinked lift system.
    If it’s windy, both campsites can be tent destroying.
    Perisher is better! :cool:

piolet, skifree and Sage Oya like this.
  5. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You cannot take any deadwood within a National Park fullstop. Just remember that.

piolet, Sage Oya and skifree like this.
  6. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, but sometimes it can be a wait. An long wait at Island Bend

If you camp at the Diggings you can walk to SkiTube.

7. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Billy_Buttons likes this.
  8. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

There is one permissible way to harvest firewood in the NP, steal it from the other campsites! Apparently it's the done thing!*

*dont!

9. plink01

plink01 Hard Yards

Ok awesome, thanks for the help!

Right well I will load the landcruiser with as much firewood as physically possible and I spose I'll re stock and blow a weeks wage on firewood when I head into Jindabyne halfway through the trip. I'll keep the chainsaw at home then, that means I can squeeze in more wood!

Ok well I wont bother trying to hitch at Perisher but I'll give it a crack at Ngargio. I'd love a few days where I could leave everything set up at camp and hitch to the mountain and have a proper drink with lunch/afternoon and hitch back. It looks like I'll be having small fires so I'll have to be in bed early before I freeze.

Wind shouldnt be a drama in my swag. Strange question but are there many people with fires going?? I'd happily chip in some wood, it would help my wood go a bit further. In other words is it very communal?? I'm used to Hotham where I pretty much hide away, but I love a drink and could definately do communal a few nights.

Thanks everyone for your help!

10. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Lots of folks with fires going usually, if you see us at Ngarigo feel free to join our fire pit. Will be set up with our orange msr tent.

skifree likes this.