1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Prediction in 2011

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by iranoutofideas, Mar 23, 2011.

1. iranoutofideas

iranoutofideas First Runs

Hi all,

I reside overseas and would be visiting Melbourne on 5th June this year. As this would be my first time visitng Falls Creek, I would like to enquire whether it is possible that it starts to snow at Falls Creek in the first week of June, based on previous experiences?

Thank you so much [​IMG]

#1 iranoutofideas, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

The season/lifts open around 11-13 June 2011. Whether there's snow or not in early to mid June is in the hands of the gods at that time of year. Personally I don't book anything before mid July even though I can get this deal from my club

"At Falls Creek resort the ski lift company offer discount packages at some times of the season. For bookings of 3 or
    more days/nights the discounts offered are 30% or 50% off high season prices for accommodation, lift tickets, lessons
    and equipment hire. The periods and discounts offered are listed below.  
    Normally the complete package is booked with a supplier or booking agency, but ....Ski Club has now arranged that
    members who might wish to take advantage of these offers to obtain discounted lift tickets, lessons and equipment
    hire can book accommodation directly with the club, at standard member and affiliate rates, and providing the
    booking is for 3 nights’ accommodation, the booking secretary or lodge manager can give the contact details so you
    can book the other elements wanted at those rates.  
    Sat June 11 – Thurs June 16   50% discount  
    Fri June 17 – Thurs June 23   50% discount  
    Fri June 24 – Thurs June 30   30% discount  
    Fri Aug 26 ‐Thurs Sept 1   30% discount
    Fri Sept 2 – Thurs Sept 8   30% discount  
    Fri Sept 9 ‐ Thurs Sept 15   50% discount  

3. Stratus

Stratus A Local

They should have Towers open on snowmaking by then.

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

the season opens on sat 11th June, so no lifts will be running before that

the chance of much being open on 11th is poor. good natural snow falls before july are not common. they will get main street (on towers) open as soon as they can on snowmaking. if the nights are cold with low humidity, this could be by opening weekend. once main street is open they will progressively work on other snowmaking areas, favouring the easier runs. i'm a Falls Creek tragic, but even i think there's not much point skiing on main street for more than a few runs, especially on a crowded opening weekend.

5. iranoutofideas

iranoutofideas First Runs

Thanks so much for the inflow of replies!

If i choose not to ski, but just to have a snow experience (it is summer all year round in Singapore, where i reside), would it be worth it to visit Falls Creek on 11th June? I'm on a rather tight schedule, and I understand that driving from Melbourne to Mount beauty takes 4.5 hours?

6. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You would have to be pretty lucky to see snow in Oz at that time. You are probably slightly closer to Japan than Southern Australia so if you wanted to see snow there is plenty there right now.