1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Sled and Ski Tracks

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Tonka, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Tonka

Tonka Hard Yards

Towing my sled along the BHP road on Sunday heading into Windy Corner after 6 days out on the High Plains. Great weather and great snow. Most diagonal striders and a few skaters were curious to know where I'd been and with a "Good onya mate" we parted ways. While skiing along the tracks I heard "Excuse me, Excuse me, could you not ski in the tracks with your trolley as your messing up the tracks." I looked at her and then my "trolley" that was sitting on top of the firm snow, there was no damage. A two word reply crossed my mind, but I thought the better of it. I replied that "For the amount I have to pay to get in and park my car I'll ski anywhere I like." With that she apologized for upsetting me and skied off in front, where as she tangled her skis and poles and fell flat on her face onto the tracks, leaving knee and elbow holes in the snow, "Who is messing up the tracks know" came my reply with a satisfied laugh. Not a word came back in reply, it made my day.

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

i'll take your word for it that you were not damaging the tracks, but it's etiquette to move out of tracks for faster skiers to pass, and not to damage tracks. sadly the worst offenders destroying classic tracks are skaters

skifree likes this.
  3. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

1m rule ....

4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

At least you werent walking up like Tourists do at day resorts. Or on undersized snowshoes in soft that causesimar problems.

Have to agree with ‘skater issues’ based on obs at Lake Mtn - some skaters have no ability to judge left or right & so ski straight up the middle. This Pushing classic skiers in tracks to the very margins of the wide track.

Perhaps at LM skaters feel entitled or in the majority?? Not sure on BHPs - probably a diverse mix of skier types and track use?

5. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

an etiquette thread! :)

skifree and piolet like this.
  6. Tonka

Tonka Hard Yards

Did have some funny moments with on coming skiers as to who would move out of the tracks. This woman came up from behind and hadn't said a thing until she was next to me. It is etiquette for slower skiers to move out of the track, but this is usually in racing. It is also etiquette to call track. If I had skied out of the track and used the skating area I may have upset them. Touring is different from racing. With the money we pay, I wonder if Falls Creek Management might put in two tracks instead of one.

7. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

You mean the slackers only make one pair?? No wonder there's issues! Imagine Lake Mtn with only one set?

You'd think the groomer could change position on the way back to the resort?

8. currawong

They seem to put a lot more emphasis on skaters than classic. There are places where there are classic tracks on each side and skating in the centre. There are also trails with no classic at all.

Lake mountain, when it had cover, was a lot busier than falls. I can only guess that that situation has not changed

9. currawong

There's a lot of opposition in some quarters to fcrm spending anything on xc grooming and facilities. We can wish for more classic tracks but i don't think the "money we pay" argument will be a winner.

When i was introduced to xc 30 something years ago, we were taught to yield to people calling track in all situations, not just racing. Just courtesy really.

10. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Actually it is etiquette (not when racing) when approaching from behind, for the faster or more experienced skier to step out of the track and around the slower skier before stepping back into the track.
    If approaching head on in the same track, the same applies.
    Also if on a down hill track, the skier going up hill should step out of the track and yield to a skier comming down.
    And while on the subject of ettiquete, leaders of groups should ensure that the group leave room for other skiers to pass.

Snowy Joey, Pademelon and currawong like this.
  11. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Hi Currawong,

I can imagine lots of FC folk only being interested in the 'high value' alpine customers and keeping expenditure within the immediate village area and lifted ski slopes. I've been to Buller stakeholder meetings that raised the same issues.

However, if my memory serves me correctly, XC skier visits and bed nights are particularly strong at Falls compared to other big 4 resorts. Chookies would still pump a few bit of dosh into Falls, be it gate entry, beds and even food & booze on rare occasions!! And overnight XC skiers pay entry and use very few facilities that village-residents use (devil's advocating!) - although perhaps thats even up when search and rescue operations are included!!

Swings and roundabouts I say. But I guess the lift co. Doesn't want to see a car park full of XC skiers with potential lift skiers stuck down the bottom of the hill. Au' Buller style?? Hello bus opportunities?

currawong and Bogong like this.
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

For multi night ski touring with a sled and snow camping on the BHP you can enter via the Fainters or from Trap yard gap, thus avoiding the hefty parking fees at Falls Creek. The Bus from Mount Beauty is also cheaper than parking your own car. Most people who match the description of the woman who nearly made you swear at her would not have the legs or the XC ski technique to ski tour out that far( i.e . Tawonga Huts , Weston's Hut, Young's hut or Roper's hut) from Windy corner.

13. currawong

just telling that there are many people who feel that way. not saying it is my opinion.

BTW XC overnight visitors use the same FCRM facilities as skiers/boarders. Most skiers/boarders do not use xc facilities. XC day visitors use less facilities, but then they don't contribute to FCRM's other income stream, the fees charged to lodges and businesses in the village.

Having good XC facilities is good for Falls Creek. Charging for them (apart from the normal channels of entry and "bed tax") is too hard. Not charging for them also encourages snowplayers to try the next step (and skiers/boarders to try XC too)

14. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Agreed. The only reason I purchase a few lift tickets each year is because I started XC skiing. It's Worth growing the pie.

currawong likes this.
  15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Some downhill slopes have commercial radio blasting out from loud speakers :-0 . NO thanks. I 'd rather XC ski in the peace and quiet of the Nordic trails somewhere serene.

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You just learn to ignore the silly resort skiers after awhile....

They are of a pretty simple mind set!

Out in the backcountry it’s good to see others occasionally and have a chat...

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  17. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Did you get to Weston’s on your journey?

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I will ski out to Weston's Hut in the White season in 2019. I am almost completely:confused: MAD shussed out.o_O.I have XC skied :emoji_cloud_snow: so much this season, making up for decades of NOT skiing ;) , I feel a bit burnt out:emoji_panda_face: , plankatitis:p is setting in and yet this endless snow:emoji_snowflake: season :skier: keeps calling me back. I will ski next week at Falls Ck. and then hang up the planks for the year.
    I might go for a surf , before I jet off to Trek in the Indian Himalaya:emoji_earth_asia: in less than 3-4 weeks.