1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question snow technique self help chat - tele, alpine and boarding

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by teleroo, Apr 13, 2021.

1. teleroo

teleroo Waiting for winter... Ski Pass: Gold

Putting this out here for comment. Any interest in a ski.com.au snow sports self help group? Idea is we can all help each other with technique critiques, pointers and real life advice.

There are the professional instructors out there in the world, including a few on our forum here. But my issue is the cost - just a bit too expensive for me right now. But I'm still looking for a way to improve. And no reason why the professional instructor pathway needs to be the only means to improvement.

But...Lots of us here have spent much time with instructors, so we sort of know the stuff they point out and drills they use. Lots of us know what good technique comprises and the pathway to get there. We can see what is and isn't good technique.

I'm happy to share what I know, both telemark and parallel.

I've noticed on some other platforms people posting vids of themselves skiing, and asking for critique. Seems to work OK. Vids don't seem to work that well on ski.com.au - file size limitations it would seem. Not sure whether this can be overcome @Richard ?. So maybe moving to book of the face is an option (closed group perhaps - not my preference... but...video uploads are well supported)

Also, I'm happy to meet up anyone here at Perisher this winter for a bit of technique focused skiing. Both telemark and/or parallel. Could be just having someone to video you skiing for later analysis. Could be watching you ski and sharing tips and method critiques etc. If you've ever wanted to learn to tele, I'll happily teach you. I've got no instructor quals but I know how to teach it. Any takers?

2. Billy_Buttons Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I think this would have to be conducted out of resort as it breaches resort rules. Great idea though.:thumbs:

crackson likes this.
  3. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

With no exchange of goods or services for payment, I think they wouldn't minds friends sharing their knowledge bases privately with friends.

One would hope.

4. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

"Thou shalt not build kickers" is where the rules should stop :)

crackson likes this.
  5. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Blessed are the bignoses Ski Pass: Gold

None of their business, if it's not for money. I like the idea of mutual technique sessions but doubt whether I'd be able to offer much useful advice. The video idea is appealing - video feedback is a great way to improve, and my kids for some strange reason refuse to video me!

Nightskywatcher likes this.
  6. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Apart from the videoing bit we, and lots of others, do this every time we ski. And there are so many people who video their friends that I cannot see how the resorts would know the difference. It is not an instructor getting paid. It is a pretty normal behaviour done in most sports.

Nightskywatcher and craighelo like this.
  7. bawbawbel

The only reason that I post here is that I hope it will end up as a Skiers Village type forum.
    The only reason that "resort rules" might change is if something affects the bottom line.
    How about a public interest case that charges:
    * Equipment oriented instruction that leads to skiers having difficulties and quitting 20 years early.
    * Instruction that is formulated for maxim profit.

8. bawbawbel

"Just because I sleep with you doesn't mean that I'll ski with you !"
    Maybe a ski.com badge to wear on the slopes only when the run rage has diminished and slope loneliness sets in.