Snow tornado, more Snow willy Willy.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
cant say I have ever seen this phenomenon in Australia, though it sounds like something that could happen regularly.

Good footage. Fascinating!

I’ve see them, several of them on one day at Mt Hutt in Aug 2004. We were experiencing near-gale force conditions in the morning and early afternoon. The chairs were both closed. The gusts were stopping the TBars. I’m guessing NW gusts were hitting 100 km/h and the snownados were forming high on the front slope and then gradually advancing down to the day shelter. It certainly made for some exciting waits halfway up the TBar line! :oops:

As a BTW: In the end, the ensuing Blizzard shut (or shutt) the resort and road at 4pm, with all visitors holding up in the day shelter. In the end, we were allowed down at 10pm, with chains being fitted and removed by chain teams - incredible to watch! We had snow in Methven that morning and light flakes accumulating on the aircraft windows as we departed Christchurch. (Our visit winter NZ visit too!)

Given Hutt’s notoriety for wild weather, I’d be surprised if this doesn’t happen a few times per winter.
Maybe the Canterbury regulars lurking here know more about this phenomena?

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I have actually seen this on the BHP, standard thermal picking up snow rather than dust.

Also a common occurrence on a smaller different scale on windy days at Eyre / Perisher. Those these rarely last more than 90 seconds or so.

Note, no where near tornado scale.

Reactions: snowgum

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
3201696521_84cb3da891.jpg

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I have actually seen this on the BHP, standard thermal picking up snow rather than dust.

Also a common occurrence on a smaller different scale on windy days at Eyre / Perisher. Those these rarely last more than 90 seconds or so.

Note, no where near tornado scale.
Ive seen quite a few of the smaller Willy-willys, same same but much smaller, much shorter lasting.

Had one on Friday Flat this season that I was lucky enough to point out to my students.

Biggest one I’ve seen was in Niseko Jan 2019. Had the presence of the one in the video but probably 1/5 of the size and 1/5 of the duration, left the group of us that sat and watched it quite silent and stunned for a bit..

Reactions: snowgum and skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass