1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Snowboard and ski bag

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mark*V, May 14, 2019.

1. Mark*V

Mark*V Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

I have 2 snowboards and 1 pair of skis I need to cart around. We've had separate bags but I figure it will be easier to put all the gear in one bag. Any recommendations for the brand/type of bag and where I can buy it please?

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Da Kine
    heaps of places

3. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Douchebag.

Support @CarveMan and Aussieskier.

My friends and I have bought a few through him and never been disappointed.

I have fit 2 boards and a pair of skis in (once) - it’s heavy, but it works.

FINCL, Mark*V and Ozgirl like this.
  4. Donzah

He sells Da Kine as well

5. Shrike

Shrike Hard Yards

Also rate the Dakine gear, have a low roller that has gone with me all Australian season last year, Japan for 2 weeks last Feb and then around Vietnam on the way back :p

Buy from whoever you like but agree to use the guys that sponsor the forum or alternatively I generally get my gear from Boardworld as Jeremy is great to deal with :)

LMB likes this.
  6. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

My DB was wrecked by baggage handlers last trip. Thinking I might go sportstube next buy.

7. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If local (no flights) then da kine or even burton.
    If flights then Douchebag.

I have a Burton “wheelie locker” bag in a 180cm and it is seriously awesome kit for travelling with dividers for boards and waterproof bags for boots but... the bag is so heavy (+4kgs) I just can’t use it for flights
    For flights I use a douchebag, as a bonus it rolls up to almost nothing when you get to your destination. Shoulder strap attachment on the douchebag and the way you can shorten the bag if required are also great features.
    Just check the weight with 2 boards and skis... airlines often don’t weigh equipment bags but I have been caught out in the states.

Mark*V and Telemark Phat like this.
  8. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I haven't been on a flight which excludes sporting equipment from your luggage allowance for years.

Mark*V and CarveMan like this.
  9. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

This. Your best hope is to 'assist' the check in agent in weighing your ski bag - ie holding as much weight off the scales as you think you can get away with. They won't want to touch it due to OH&S so you can usually do this.

10. LDJ

LDJ Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Found this out by accident and doesn’t work with all of them but if you do the opposite and push the bag fully on so it sits well past the line half the bag doesn’t get weighed on a lot of them. My 190cm dakine with boots, skis, all my gear and clothes weighed 13kg :D. I’d recommend the 190cm dakine coffin. It will do what you need and have travelled with similar amounts across the world, getting trains, buses etc but you will need strong arms

Chaeron likes this.
  11. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yes there are various strategies I've employed over the years!

12. Donzah

I found a cabin bag pushed against the wall under the eye line of the check in works well
    Like a wedge under the ski bag.

Chaeron and Mark*V like this.
  13. LMB

LOL
    Is no one worried about a whole flight of skiers with overweight and underweighed bags throwing fuel calculations off?

I know I’m juggling bag weights a LOT, especially when the bc and climbing gear is in there too, but I’ve never “assisted” my bag or “re-packed” on the way to oversized drop off.

14. Donzah

As much as I agree..
    Man, the amount of shit people take on as "carry on".
    Its ridic.

qwill, zac150, Mark*V and 2 others like this.
  15. LMB

Oh I totally agree.
    And the shit fight out of Hong Kong to stuff your 7 pieces of carry on in ALL the overheads. :rolleyes:
    I almost always just take a backpack that can be shoved under my seat if need be. I just don’t need that angst.

Mark*V and sara777 like this.
  16. FatBoyDave

This!!!
    A couple of years ago we went to Whistler via LA.
    The carrier and ticket we had only allowed 1 piece of checked luggage but 2 pieces of carry on...
    And to add insult, my ski bag was counted as my 1 piece of checked luggage.
    As a result nearly everyone was requested to "check their carry on" at the boarding gate as it wouldn't all fit in overhead lockers.
    My total carry on weight would have exceeded my checked baggage weight.

Made no sense and created much frustration for all passengers.

17. FatBoyDave

My other pet peeve is when the internal flight you have (all on the same ticket) has different baggage rules/allowances.

18. fenrir

fenrir Addicted

Used a DB for a few years now and I do not regret it. I bought the large hugger backpack for the times when I have to have 2x23kg bags instead of 1x30kg and just strap them together when rolling through the airport.

19. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Worried about 'tail-strike' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Flight_407?
    Don't - they weigh your stuff after check-in anyway.

Chaeron likes this.
  20. FatBoyDave

I like the hugger. The only downside is I can't fit my helmet in it.
    I've got a Burton Booter pack for carry on and my partner has a hugger.

I can't find the Booter on the Burton website anymore....
    Fits my ski boots, helmet, laptop.... Has a Helmet pocket and a couple of waterproof pockets.
    Is great to use when at the resort too. Can fit 2 slabs and some shopping or.... We put our Apres boots in it and who ever gets home first has to pack the apres boots. Can fit 2 pairs of ski boots... and the inside wipes out as it's the same plasticky stuff that they have in board bags.
    Technically probably over the carry on size but it's a soft bag, so if you're sensible with how much you pack, it can cram into the baggage size thingy if requested.

[​IMG]

Peanut and Mark*V like this.
  21. fenrir

fenrir Addicted

There are two sizes of hugger - they also do a 60L which is much too big for carry on but perfect for checked luggage as it will still strap onto the main DB.

22. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I'd more worried about centre of gravity calculations being out of whack and handling affected than the fuel calculations.

Mark*V likes this.
  23. little_skiier

little_skiier Hard Yards

I've used a DB Slim Jim on two overseas trips and it's rubbed thin in a few spots which I'm expecting to turn into holes soon :(

24. Mark*V

I get 23kg ski or board allowance with Garuda (per person) + 30kg for regular luggage. That should be enough. Thats why I paid a bit extra and booked with them again

25. Mark*V

Malaysia charge per kg for every kg over 20! No sporting gear allowance.

26. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Another DB supporter!

Qantas trashed my DB (18 holes) but to the bags credit the skis and gear inside were in perfect condition. Qantas replaces all.

FWIW i won’t travel again with shared bags, heaps easier to have two light bags than one heavy. Was a PITA hauling two 23kg ski bags around.

27. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Hubby and I both bought the Booter bags last year. I have plans to get the kids one each eventually as well, but they have Kathmandu bags that work well enough for now. As we bought the bags after our OS trip, they haven’t been used for carry-on purposes yet, but they will probably be used this year.

Last year I got my skis (156cm), Mstr 10’s skis (129cm) and Mstr 8’s snowboard (121cm) into my ski bag, which is a Quicksilver bag from memory. All up, the bag came to 19.5kg. It worked, but it was bloody heavy to wheel around. Hubby has since bought new boots and skis, and I bought him a Dakine Fall Line bag to put them in for travelling. The plan is to put one adult set and one child of skis into each bag (Mstr 8 will be skiing this year), plus ski clothing, and possibly boots subject to weight restrictions. If not, the boots will go into a seperate checked bag. Non-ski clothing and helmets will be packed into carry-on bags.

28. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My Slim Jim did one OS and one domestic trip before falling apart. It split right along the zip making it fit only for the bin. I love the design but hate the build quality.

29. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Got the Dakine low roller. Its been solid for the last 3 years of trips to Japan and Europe.

Did do one trip with 2 x snowboards, bindings, boots in the one bag....never again.

Mark*V likes this.
  30. Thommo79

Thommo79 Hard Yards

Oh Faaarrrkkk, my trip back from Japan could become expensive :mad:

31. Neddy

Neddy Hard Yards

Dakine Tour bag (no rollers) for last 8 years (NZ and Japan). Quite comfortable with 1 board and boots, a little heavy with two boards (solid, split and all the split extras) but still doable. Have sliced edges through in a few places over a number of years, but nothing a little duct tape hasn’t sorted out

32. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Stock move since forever that one!

33. LDJ

LDJ Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Has anyone used Neoprene cover or similar for snowboard international travel? Similar to this https://www.storeyourboard.com/evoc-neoprene-snowboard-cover/ Looking at lightweight option for snowboard to make carrying it around Japan trains, European airports etc much easier. Have a big dakine coffin at the moment and when full of clothes its a beast to move for my wife.

34. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I have a fleet of ski bags consisting of the DaKine and the DPS ski bag.

DaKine is a good lightweight option but for heavy hauling and total packing area I use the DPS bags. They are heavier than the DaKine but they are bullet proof.

35. southpaw

southpaw Hard Yards

I’m another DB fan. Travelled to Canada a couple of times with the whole family’s skis (x4) in the one bag and it’s held up really well still looks brand new without not a mark . On the last trip back the TSA compliant lock that I used on it did not fare so well. When I got back to Oz found my lock inside my bag. 1E122E09-014F-461E-822C-D9116AE7563C.jpeg