snowkiting in Vic

nocrack

First Runs
May 4, 2016
Hi there,

I'm new in this forum, arrived fairly recently in Oz and don't know much about Australian mountains, but I'd like to start snow kiting.
I've been skiing since little in Europe, and started kite surfing last season. I'd like to join the two in one, but would need some more info to start with

I understand that using your kite surfing gears is feasable altgough not ideal. To which point is it a problem if you don't care too much about the kite you are using ? I could buy a dedicated kite at a later stage but would be keen to keep the investment to a minimum the first few times.

I would like to use an old cabrinha drifter. It's an 11m. Am I crasy ? what is the max wind I can catch (safely) on this ?

Would I need to buy any extra gears ? (Assuming my kite is usable for that purpose)

Ski or snowboard ? knowing that I have a very good level in ski but very bad in snow. Yet I don't mind getting started again with a snowboard since my skiing gears are in France anyway.

Where to go ? I'm in Melbourne and would like to be able to do day trip so places like Falls Creek and Mt. Hotham are a bit our of range and I don't need anything fancy to start with.
What about lake Mountain or Mt Baw Baw ? or anything nearby ?

Sorry for asking so many questions in only one thread but I really need someone to shed my lights
Thanks !

Reactions: malas1

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
No idea on the gear but I can't see Lake Mountain or Baw Baw suiting your needs.

Mt Loch (behind Hotham would be easy access) and Falls would have good options (possibly).

Matt Spencer

Hard Yards
May 8, 2004
Melbourne
Kite Republic (in St Kilda) run snow kiting trips and have one scheduled for winter at Mt Hotham:

http://www.kiterepublic.com.au/product/2016-kr-snow-kiting-tour/

As Seth said, I think Lake Mountain and Baw Baw don't have the space for what you want. Buller doesn't have suitable sidecountry for kiting either. Mt Stirling has been done before by the looks of this picture, so could be the closest option...

8661773.jpg

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Photos/View/8661774/Snow Kiting/Mt-Stirling/

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
I saw some people kiting at falls a few years ago in the area between the top of the summit and ruined castle

Spiersy

One of Us
Apr 11, 2009
NSW
Welcome,

Victoria has some decent kiting near falls creek and Hotham lifts, but they are not large areas so you'll be mowing the lawn.
If you want to explore then there are some other spots near Falls creek but you'll need to be set up for backcountry travel

NSW has a greater variety and area of kiteable terrain. Addventurous Mexicans tend to come up here when they get bored of the Vic terrain

Here are a few things to look at:
Vic vid
NSW vid
NSW map
Old thread
Kosi kiters on facebook
Seabreeze

Reactions: Untele-whippet

nocrack

First Runs
May 4, 2016
Thank you everyone. That gives me quite a few options in terms of where.
Does anyone has knowledge on the gears related questions ?

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
yeah the high plains out near edmonsens hut, warby's corner, the nelses, spion kopje, out towards timms spur etc would be the largest expanse i could think of in vic

Spiersy

One of Us
Apr 11, 2009
NSW
Thank you everyone. That gives me quite a few options in terms of where.
Does anyone has knowledge on the gears related questions ?

- I wouldn't take a tube bigger than a 9m.
- The big thing is safety - You need a total flag out release option that secures well, you need rock solid self launch and landing skills
- You can sometimes kite with a snowboard in Australia but you can always kite with the right skis (our conditions are very variable)
- Yes, you'll need some extra gear, backcountry travel stuff, snow shovel, survival gear, etc. There is an old thread about this somewhere on extreme kites (pretty geeky place)

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
I was trying to start kitesurfing this summer but things got in the way so a little delayed. Also have the idea of snowkiting eventually.
Had the (crazy?) idea that maybe with a smaller kite, would assist with moving over flat/rolling ground to get out there, and pack down easy enough to ride a few smaller lines.

Any thoughts on this?

nocrack

First Runs
May 4, 2016
Thanks Spiersy. That's what I thought, 11m seems a bit big. I read somewhere that you need to pack a kite size about 1/3 less of what you need on water so for a 15-20knots wind you'd indeed need no more than a 9m then.
What's the wind generally like up there ?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass