1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snowmaking 23>28th June

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by fugisan, Jun 17, 2008.

1. fugisan

fugisan First Runs

Hey all, I posted this same post in weather but not the right area! So hopefully a better answer here! [​IMG]

A few freinds and myself are heading up to Falls creek from the 23>28th June, this is out first time in the snow and the only time we could go in the season!

We really, really want snow! We dont care if its to play in, jump around or do activities in, skiiing and snowboarding would be awesome but not overly caring so much if theres not enough for it.

We were wondering if there will be snow making during these times and what kind of activities we could expect from snowmaking :).

Basicially will there be some snow at Falls creek during this time? And what will it be avalible for [​IMG]

Thanks all [​IMG]
    -Josh [​IMG]

#1 fugisan, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The minute it gets cold enough to make snow, you can rest assured that they will. The school holidays in Victoria start for some private schools this friday and for all schools the following friday.All businesses will lose a lot of money if they can't run enough lifts allowing the Snow Guarantee to kick-in..

3. D16371

D16371 Guest

There will deffintly be snow play available. But why bother going to falls unless to ski or board!

4. Apresski

My kids would be happy to ski on 3 slopes, particularly if one of those is Ruined Castle.

5. The Stig

The Stig Hard Yards

I cannot begin to imagine what it will be like during the school holidays having EVERYONE crammed onto three runs!
    It will be the PITS!

6. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

I can almost guarantee Ruined Castle wont be open next week as what little cover is there is sketchy at best, it needs natural snowfall as well as snowmaking to get it running. If they can make snow then mainstreet will proberly be up and running but I wouldnt bet the bank on it. The temps have been too high and with 98% humidity they need around minus 3 to make decent snow.

7. The Stig

The Stig Hard Yards

Still not sounding too flash
    This season's start, by the sounds of things, is simaliar to 2006.
    What was the situation like on the slopes during the school holidays? I think I may have been spoilt last year.
    Unfortunately like a lot of good folk, I'm locked into the holidays.

8. Apresski

I've decided to admit defeat and cancel. I have toyed with the idea of deferring my trip until the September school hols., but that isn't until 20th September which is so late I'm not sure I can be bothered.

9. fugisan

fugisan First Runs

Thanks man, Allthough dose anyone know what conditions are required for snow making ive read -2'C and low humidity is needed. But what kind of humidity <80%?.. And ive read elsewhere you can make snow up to 4'C, would Falls Creek ever do this..

Anyways thanks all for your answers, were gonna take the chance and go up anyway on Mon 23rd [​IMG] Hopefull we can get something! [​IMG]

#9 fugisan, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  10. Maxcimus

Maxcimus Hard Yards

Yeh we are pulling out also, thinking about a mission up to perisher for a couple of days instead just to have a slide on the man made stuff..

#10 Maxcimus, Jun 19, 2008
  11. Maxcimus

Maxcimus Hard Yards

The temp's looks to be cold enough for snow making on sunday from snow-forecast.com, how much snow would they be able to make in one day?

12. Apresski

The problem is more in the predicted temps. next week. They did make quite a lot a couple of weeks ago but as you can see from the webcams there is nothing left.

13. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

Last Friday the snowmakers used 5 million litres of water to make what they made. 4 degrees is possible but it needs to be 0% humidity and yes Falls has made snow at that temp. Normal snowmaking is minus 2 to minus 3 and 80% humidity

14. fugisan

fugisan First Runs

Cheers man at least ive got an idea now [​IMG] So hopefully theres some nice snowmaking weather coming up [​IMG]

#14 fugisan, Jun 19, 2008
  15. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

there has actually been 0% humidity? please explain how this is possible outside a lab?

16. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

OK, lets call it very low humidity instead of 0%

17. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

I was told by my accom provider that they were making snow last night....the cans today would suggest otherwise.

18. Apresski

Current predicted highs for Melbourne next week at 15 degrees, sorry but in my experience that rarely means snow, hence I have cancelled. It's too depressing to keep getting up in the morning and tentatively opening the curtains hoping for smow! then you end up spending a fortune on bungee thingamybobs, lunches, drinks, movies just to pass the time.
    I feel sorry for the souls who run businesses up there. A slow start to the season makes people reluctant to book or pay for season passes etc.

19. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

No snow was made on friday night but the boys think that the temps will be cold enough tonight.

20. nisstrust

nisstrust One of Us

well if any has a peak at the cams this morning they are making snow....