1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snowmaking on Summit

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Stratus, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Stratus

Stratus A Local

I may have asked this last season, but have Falls Creek considered or have any plans to start snowmaking on the Summit in the coming seasons?

My only thought is thats its a fair way from the generators and stuff that are over the other side of the mountain.

2. carl-jay

carl-jay First Runs

i thought summit did have snowmaking? its just that they only fire it up when begginner/intermediate terrain is all snowed up

3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

there is a little bit of snowmaking stuff on summit, but only to top up high wear bits as far as I can tell.

4. fx 140 ski freek

fx 140 ski freek Hard Yards

didnt they used to have snowmaking on the old village t bar run at 12 oclock from top of gulley chair or am i way off??

5. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Gosh, I miss the Village T-bar. It serviced some of the most interesting blue runs in Australia. Along with Maltese Cross T-Bar at Baw Baw, it was the sort of lift that pushed upper intermediates into aquiring the skills to do black runs.

6. currawong

It's pity they pulled it out. In high wind it could still run and give access to International & grand coer, as well as village, apres vous and lower part of caggabe patch. I don't thing its removal really opened up it run enough to offset that loss.

7. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

It was mainly removed so they could do the earthworks around the Pan, if you remember there was a wall there some years back and now its a smooth bank.

8. fx 140 ski freek

fx 140 ski freek Hard Yards

i am with you currawong and bogong
    loved that t bar as it was always quiet and it gave you a good technical leg burn
    it was fun to push yourself down then head straight back up.
    whats the verdict on snow making there, was there some guns servicing the village t area??

9. currawong

i don't recall any snowmaking on village, but I wouldn't go out on a limb on this.

and I won't even begin to express my thoughts on pulling out a useful tow to landscape around a pub. I had never heard that as a justificaton, and I really hope that wasn't the key driver for the decision.

you can still ski village (well, except for last year). It's a bit like that little girl with the curl. On a good day it is very, very good, but when it is bad....

10. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It was always my assumption that they pulled the Village T-bar out in anticipation of turning the International Poma (which has long queues), into a chairlift. Since chairs don't have bends in them, they would have to build such a chairlift across the upper Village run.

I think the Village T-bar was demolished before large scale snowmaking was implemeneted at Falls Creek.

11. spargo

spargo First Runs

There are some 'bent' chairlifts in Europe (have seen one in France i'm sure - I think it was a 4 or 6 seat).. if the potential usage is high enough, why not do it here?

#11 spargo, Jun 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  12. somebody else

somebody else Hard Yards

At Kaprun, in Austria, a farmer didn't want a chairlift on his land. It cost 11m euros extra to build a corner.

13. MeSki

MeSki Hard Yards

Plenty of lifts with bends... to name a couple

Snowflake at Breckenridge
    Excalibur at Whistler

Not that rare.