1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snowshoe recommendations

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by CarveMan, May 20, 2013.

1. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

My sister-in-law had ACL surgery over summer so won't be skiing this winter, but will be up at the snow every weekend.

She would like to get some snowshoes to get around and keep fit while she's there.

I know nothing about them but would love some recommendations please.

[​IMG]

#1 CarveMan, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Had a customer last week with a not dissimilar situation. He tried on several different snowshoes and eventually settled on MSR Evo/Denali Ascents.

3. CarveMan

Thanks Tecks - glad you replied, was going to send you a PM but your box is usually full (snigger) and it's good for other forum viewers to see this content.

Happy to buy from you - PM me some details.

4. teckel

My guy was aging and had skied all his life. It was clear he is never going to ski again [​IMG] But he still wants to go up with his family each year. That sort of thing makes you sad, but at least he can still get out and about on his snowshoes.

#4 teckel, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  5. neb

neb First Runs

I've used MSR, Tubbs, TSL and Yowies. And personally find TSL to have the best design for me. They actually had a solid pivot point at the toe (unlike MSR where it's connected by hyperlon which flexes and hence makes the shoe flop in all directions) you can lock down the heal for walking backwards/technical terrain etc and there is a riser. Plus they tend to use snowboard style ratchets over nylon strapping or rubber I find this system the most glove friendly and have no issues with ice in the morn etc, unlike strapping which is a pain.

I had a mate rip a long hole in her new event pants last year, they were using MSR's. She lost her footing and stamped her foot down for balance, grazing her overpants in the process. I think the design of the MSR with the crampon around the outside lends itself to this issue plus the floppy tow pivot point (as the back of the shoe can waggle left to right).

She was also a newby on snowshoes which was also a factor in the damage, I suspect though had she been wearing TSL's the rip in the pants wouldn't have happened.

My 2c....

6. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

How well does she ski? Nordic is worth considering since it puts the forces onto the ankle rather than the knee.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  7. teckel

Which MSR model? The Lightning models has cramponing right around the outer edge, but the Evo/Denali models have it more underfoot.

8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

nordic at buller [​IMG]

#8 currawong, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  9. CarveMan

This. Though she would definitely do it if it were a viable option.

#9 CarveMan, May 20, 2013
  10. Telemark Phat

11. teckel

They have Mt Stirling right next door.

12. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

+1 is not into skiing but in an attempt to have her enjoy the mountains and snow I hunted around for snow shoes and ended up buying a pair of TSL 325 for +1 and 217 for myself. Both have the heel pad and the lockable heel.
    Do they work, first day +1 tried them I went for an early ski and she said she would call later in the morning after having a wander about the flats in Perisher. About 10.30 am she called saying she was at the Quad Chair ready for a coffee. Skied back there, couldn't see her so called and +1 confirmed she was at the Quad. Still couldn't see her till she said again she was at the Quad just where people were coming OFF the chair. - She had walked straight up back perisher and was ready to walk back to mid station for a coffee. little champ.
    So yes the TSL's work damn good even for a novice.
    Also get adjustable poles - helps with different terrains: longer going downhill and shorter going uphill

Ozgirl likes this.
  13. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

pretty sure my 10 year old MSRs have a steel rod pivot

hardly get used, maybe i should sell em

just like walking, except noisier

14. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

ooops sorry tecks, dont mean to be cuttin your lunch!

15. neb

neb First Runs

I don't know the models but must of been the Lightning...

#15 neb, May 20, 2013
  16. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I have two pairs of snowshoes; fixed heel Yowies for easy movement on flatter areas and MSR Lightnings with a free heel and a fold up high heel for steeper and icier slopes where I need a lot of cramponing.

I love the idea of a lockable heel that can be freed when necessary. It appears to have the best of both worlds. So while I haven't seen the TSL snowshoes that Hipo recommends, they sound ideal.

17. teckel

#17 teckel, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  18. neb

neb First Runs

You can hire TSL's @ Stirling.... try before you buy! And no I don't work @ Stirling I'm just a BC Snowboarder that ends up doing lots of snowshoeing....:(

19. DJM

DJM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It may be common. My wife shredded a pair of pants in her Lightnings...but we fixed them with Gaffa. I did the same when I first started using crampons. You learn to walk different after a short time.

I used the older Denali model and never had the problem, as Teckel mentioned
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#19 DJM, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  20. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

from personal experience i cant fault the MSRs. depending on where she plans to be walking, I would recommend the evo tours or the lightning ascents.

21. legend

legend One of Us

Love my Northern Lites snowshoes. They're the lightest on the market.

22. jimmyharris

jimmyharris Hard Yards

Another happy Lightning Ascent user here - they'll take you anywhere but may be a bit of overkill for Buller depending on where the SIL is planning on going.

23. DJM

DJM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, the Lightnings are good but there are plenty of other choices. For the record I only really use MSR gear (4 pairs) but have used lots of others too.

I loved the Northern Lites, and the +1 used some Crescent Moon (hired from Bruce) and found them to be great.

24. obrien

obrien Hard Yards

+1 for Denali Evo Ascents.

25. ians 158

ians 158 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I've had the denali evo ascents for a few years now(bought from tekel)and they have stood up to the abuse well.
    They are the only snow shoes i have owned so nothing to compare to really except when a mate hired a set of yowies,which were good on the flats but didn't grip well on the ascent.

26. Myazma

Myazma One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Got many great days out of my northern lites. Got together with 3 others and got ours in from the states. 2 of each size (large and small) to take into account different weights. Even on the biggest powder days the smaller ones were adequate and the crawls under the balls of your feet were grippy on icy sections. And as Dibbles say - light

27. Myazma

Myazma One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Or Legend

28. legend

legend One of Us

Got mine from the states too

29. snowshoe_fiend

snowshoe_fiend Hard Yards

I've got a pair of Lightning Ascents, and my +1 has a pair of the women's version (the Flash?). I also have a pair of Yowies which get an honourable mention for their robustness on flat and easy terrain.

30. wily_quixote

wily_quixote Hard Yards

Hi,
    I am looking at getting snowshoes for this winter. terrain is anything from groomed slopes at Dinner Plain to Mt Bogong.
    I have used MSR Lightning Ascent in the past and are contemplating buying a set but two things that turn me off them are the binding, which i find awfully fiddly, and the shape - both of which aggravate a hip injury.

Has anyone used the TSL symbioz line? These appeal to me for the natural walking action and less of a MYOG binding - I understand that they have less inherent flotation due to their shape and am wondering if going up a size would help.
    Traction is supposed to be very good but I have crampons for the steeps like Bogong so this isn't my greatest concern.
    Anyway - any feedback appreciated

31. teckel

Have you looked at the MSR Lightning Explore? They have a ratchet system speed binding that may suit you better. Other than that, they're the same as the Lightning Ascent. So the same shape, but a different binding. If you're interested I have them in stock for $469.

32. wily_quixote

wily_quixote Hard Yards

yes, I am interested, Teckel - - thanks for the recommendation.

33. legend

legend One of Us

Have a look at the Northern Lites. Extremely light (lightest of all snowshoes) and extremely strong.
    I've used them on many occasions across the Overland Track, and on my week long trip Mt Howitt.
    Bruce (wilderness sports Jindabyne) stocks them.

Myazma likes this.
  34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I was a snow shoe nut before becoming a Nordic skiing nut.
    Yowies and TSL (or whatever they are ...T something ) are IMHO total crapola. I have used both .

I own a set of MSR snow shoes with the ratchet bindings and the heel stepper thingie. MSR are very good indeed but carrying a heavy pack up and down Mt.Bogong, Mt. Feathertop and Mt. Stirling with them caused them to both crack in the metal frames :-0.
    I had them mended under warranty via Bogong equipment. They did not ask for any money to effect the repairs. So towing a sleddie thingie would be better in future to avoid that problem.
    I did pull them out of the cellar last winter just to carry a pack about 1-2 kms from the car park to the snow camping area at Lake Catani Hut at Mt. Buffalo in 2019. I cannot ski with a big pack on my back.
    I had forgotten how horrible they are compared with skiing!
    However the MSR model I have also come with the option for a heel extension attachment to make them longer for added floatation with carrying a big overnight pack in deep fresh snow. That is a mega handy feature and is worth the extra shekels to obtain the said accessory.
    Surely the O.P. could get some wide BC XC skis with a NNN BC boot and just Nordic ski on some nice easy green runs at Mt.Stirling ?
    Going from skis to snow shoes is like going from reading The Bronte sisters to the Yellow pages. It is a retrograde step!

#34 Mister Tee on XC Skis, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  35. wily_quixote

wily_quixote Hard Yards

Thanks all, I'll check out the Northern Lites and Lightning Explore.

36. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

My new Gf is a non non skier / borader.

I set her straight if you want to be with me,:cool: you need to choose? Ski or Board? No snow no option.:cry::cry: So my newbie is coming to th BC this year on a easy trip and will probably hire snow shoes, but wondering what kid of boots would you recommend? she has a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots which are a good hiking boot. (I actually know little about snow shoeing, forgive me I split board).

Oh by the way Gf has decided to learn the dark art of boarding and progress to splitboarding. ; )

37. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

38. wily_quixote

wily_quixote Hard Yards

I imagine that the Quest would be ideal.
    I snowshoed a couple of years ago in salomon trail runners and they were fine.

39. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Sounds like an exciting challenge :love:

For boots, I just wore my snowboard boots when I used snowshoes for my first BC tour last year (with board strapped to my backpack). They seemed fine to me - waterproof and warm, though they are my old faithful boots so they were already super comfortable. I’d assume any waterproof hiking shoe/boot would be the go, but if she was bringing a snowboard and snowboard boots anyway then no reason for separate shoes to go inside the snowshoes IMO. But I’m not sure if I’m reading your post correctly - since she is a newbie boarder you are probably doing a snowshoe-only trip first time around, and therefore no board/boots? FWIW learning to snowboard out in the backcountry sounds like hell to me, and I love snowboarding more than any sane person should LOL

skifree likes this.
  40. Interruptedbyfireworks

Thread revival since I need some advice please :)

I'm going on a group snowshoe walk this Sat, from the walk leader's comms I think it will be in the vicinity of the Perisher nordic trails and base of Mt Wheatley. We are all hiring snowshoes from Wilderness Sports, so I have two questions I need advice on:

- do you think I will be able to keep up with everyone if I just wear my soft/old/comfy snowboard boots with the snowshoes, or would I be better off hiring some waterproof/apres boots?
    - there is a choice of 3 types of snowshoes: Crescent Moon EVA Foam, Northern Lites or Tubbs - any advice on which?

The default will be the crescent moons if I don't pick one, but since they are foam I guess I was just unsure if they would be compatible with my snowboard boots.

Thanks in advance :)

41. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just take the splitboard and skins? LOL

42. skifree

Yes. But you might find it more comfy walking with walking boots & the over boots that are available as an extra to the SS hire.

They all tend to have long straps that can get about bulky boots. As to which is better or worse it's all in the using and what works for you. The EVA are very light which is good, the Moons have better grippy bits, it depends on which North Lites are on offer. For you and possible conditions I'd go the Moons.

43. skifree

The EVA should burn the best.

44. Telemark Phat

Go skiing or splitting instead,

45. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Mumbles something about friends don't let friends go snowshoeing......

46. Bloke

Bloke One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

How do i report a thread?

47. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hit the report button on every post?

48. Bloke

Bloke One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Tedious but probably necessary in this case :D

49. Interruptedbyfireworks

Hahaha, yes you are all very funny :p I think it would be poor form to bring my splitboard to a snow-shoe group walk that someone else has organised! Someone wise once told me it's best everyone has the same tools. I'll definitely bring my split in the car though and do some faffing about afterwards depending on fatigue and weather and time.
    Yes that makes sense, thank you. I'll see if I can add the overshoes to the group booking. Though I don't have proper hiking boots either - only standard joggers

nezumi likes this.
  50. Telemark Phat

You need to hang out with a different group. But you could go with them, sounds like they're following the rock creek snow shoe trail, and then peel to the right up Mt Wheatly when you see a line you like and meet back up with them as they return or at the Man for a drink at the end of the day.