1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snowshoeing Boots.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by bandit11, Mar 27, 2019.

1. bandit11

bandit11 Hard Yards

Hello people. Figured I would post this here, hope it's alright. Need some advice on a good pair of boots for snowshoeing. Wore some scarpa leather ones last year and found my feet got a bit cold, more so when I was just sitting around. Like something with insulation and waterproof if possible. What are others wearing? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

2. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

3. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

4. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Take warm camp boots for the sitting around in camp part of the day. Possibly your boots were too small also and squeezing your feet. Bread bags over synthetic liner socks then woollen socks followed by another bread bag works; it's the vapour barrier principle at work.
    What time frame are you looking at here? Day trips or a week or more back country? Were you wearing tall gaiters? Gaiters help by keeping snow out of the boots as well as being a windproof layer over the heat exchange region of the lower leg
    More information needed

5. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I just had a read through the link provided by hipo, I'd personally not wear any of them for snowshoeing as they all have running shoe toe boxes with very little toe wriggle room and your toes need wriggle room. The older Sorel Caribou were a good boot for this but I haven't been impressed with any of the later made in China versions, they seem to be smaller and tighter in the toe region, you need a broad and tall toe box in your winter boots if multiday trips are on the calender

Hully likes this.
  6. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

7. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

FWIW, it’s good if you feet get a little cold when not moving, as long as not dangerously so.

If they are getting too cold maybe change socks to something like seal skins or slightly thicker socks. The risk of hot boots is sweat, sweat can lead to bad blisters as the sold crystals add abrasion. +1 went out in her Sorel’s from Thredbo, boots she has worn walking around Canada with no issues (lots of km). She hobbled back into camp an hour later as they were too hot for Aussie conditions

8. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If you live in Vic, I have ex-rental snow boots in excellent condition for $20 until the end of May, or sold out. Warm, waterproof etc. Lace up.

9. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I THOUGHT I posted here yesterday.
    Must’ve typed it all up and not hit the post reply button! Sorry

I have used the Notth Face 4000m boots in similar situations. They’re described as a summer mountaineering boot, but yeah-nah, they work exceptionally well in deep powder snowshoe treks. More warm, comfortable and supportive than my snowboard boots. So if it was just plain hiking up and down, I wore these.

10. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Got any in size 50?

11. teckel

Sorry. Size 13 is the largest (about a 48). I do have size 50 in classic ski boots, but not for sale.
    Also have ex-rental pants and jackets for $40 each. Kids suits for $40.

12. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

I use a NNN-BC boot like an Alaska. They function as great light mountaineering boots. If I cross a road, I weight the back to reduce wear on the pin.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

As a former snow shoe trekking nut I must say I used to use my green season hiking boots with MSR snow shoes . The hiking boots that I use usually have a Gore-Tex lining.Plus I wear One pair of woolen socks in white season and having coated the hiking boots in "Dubbin" saddle wax and then sprayed them with water stopper, I would slog it out across the white wilderness in snow shoes.
    Cold feet seemed to be quite normal and worrying about it was a waste of mentation.
    These days if I need to snow shoe into a snow camp location with BC XC skis strapped to my overnight winter pack I usually just attach the snow shoes to my ski boots. Being BC XC ski boots they are easy to walk in . However If I need to walk from below the snow line I might use walking boots and keep the ski boots attached to the skis which are usually lashed onto the pack. I don't want to damage my ski boots in any way by bushwalking in them .
    This season I will be experimenting with kicker skins so the snow shoes may not even get one or two outings at all.

skifree likes this.
  14. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I waer Sorel Conquests which are woderfully comfortable and warm realistically down to around minus 20, though struggle below minus 25 if you are just standing around.

They also have little ridges on the heels for the snoeshoes to clamp onto.

My current pair have been on-snow about 10 holidays and still look almost new

15. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Merrell Polarand 8 . You will thank me later.

16. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I just use my Scarpa leather hiking boots with some long goretex gaiters. If extra warmth is required you could look at adding heated socks (Lenz or Hotronic brands). I used the Lenz ones in Canada this January in my AT boots and they were great. You can even adjust the temperature with a Bluetooth app on your smartphone.

17. AndrewA

AndrewA One of Us

I only heard of these heated socks recently . Wow!

If snowshoeing, isn’t the main footware limitation when you take the shoes off, and have to trot around camp? I only use snowshoes on XC skiing trips, either for walking up Bogong, or for coming out of some of the runs, so they are only used with my ski boots .....I find snow shoes easier than skins on some terrain.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  18. bandit11

bandit11 Hard Yards

Thank you for all the great responses. I have been looking at the Merrells, Salomon Toundra and Vasque Snowburbons. I'm confident one of these will do the trick. In hindsight, I believe I should have have gotten my last pair of boots a size or so larger to allow for thicker socks. This as someone mentioned might have been one of the reasons my feet felt cold , perhaps too restrictive, and my feet felt a little cramped round the toe area. Never thought a lot of it at the time and figured they would stretch out after some slogging around. This time I will opt for boots with insulation and hopefully avoid the thick socks if possible, if not I will be choose the right size boot with thicker socks in mind. Not too happy about shelling out for more shoes, but cold feet were miserable. See if I can get it right this time. Again thanks everyone.

19. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

What size do you normally wear? I might be willing to part with my surplus cold weather boots. They are Goretex lined leather lace-up with Thinsulate booties plus a spare bootie Size US13 Now surplus to my needs and plenty of life left in them

20. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

Off topic - who can recommend a pair of light ankle boots for green season - don't want to pay more than 150AUD - are any of the 'Hi Tec' or similar boots from Rays, AussieDisposals any good - for a year or 2? [And to think Hi-Tec was quite big at school in the 80s..]

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I am bushwalking in ASOLO hiking boots, made in Romania. They are very good. The sole is quite stiff so it could take a proper Grivel 8 point crampon if that is what is required. I obtained them from BOGONG EQUIPMENT. They cost me over 300 clams.

22. teckel

I sell Keen waterproof hiking boots for about $130 (not at the shop atm, so can't be totally accurate here).

23. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

Thanks, could you check the model: I have seen a few Keens in that price range (or a bit higher). We might have a deal: I am about a 7.5 AU so stock will have some say in it. Cheers

teckel likes this.
  24. teckel

Sorry, don't have anything smaller than a 9 atm, and I won't be getting any new ones in till the spring. Model is Oakridge - Mid height. But I have a kids' 7 Targhee.

pegasusSki likes this.
  25. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

All good - thanks for checking - I need to run towards 8 probably, in any case. I believe I have seen the Oakridge advertised so that is also a help.

26. teckel

There's an Oakridge shoe, but also the Oakridge Mid boot which is a low cut boot, higher than the shoe, obviously.

pegasusSki likes this.
  27. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

Yes I would probably go for the mid - seems the "Targhee 2" is a real workhorse. ;-) Will see me a few years.

skifree and teckel like this.