1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snowshoes for Sale

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by chookfootman, Jul 4, 2019.

1. chookfootman

chookfootman Hard Yards

Hi all,

As a Scout Leader in my spare time, I'm wanting to purchase some durable snowshoes for our Scout Group in Mansfield, Victoria. I'm ok with junior sizes, but interested in what adult-sized brands and models people would recommend to source locally in quantity (6-12 sets). Youth and adults would mainly be on packed trails around Stirling or Falls Creek for a start, but may do a bit of bushbashing/play in amongst the trees. Also be carrying packs for snowcamping.
    Being thrifty, any options for second-hand pairs would also be considered.
    I've personally used the older style Tubbs (webbing) and the newer MSRs (metal railings). Not familiar with the newer all-plastic decks. Any comments welcome.

2. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

3. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I was thinking that MSR Evos would suit you, until I read the bit about bushbash/play amongst trees. Most snowshoes (including MSR, Tubbs etc) have a 'free heel' which means that they only attach to your boot at the toe. While this means that they're very efficient in going forward, they're not good at sideways and woeful at going backwards. If this is important, I would suggest you look at something like the Australian invented Yowies, where the whole foot is attached to the snowshoe.

Chaeron likes this.
  4. chookfootman

chookfootman Hard Yards

Thanks, Teckel. I think their primary use will be on trails, experiencing frustration side-slipping in amongst the trees will be part of the learning experience! I will check out the MSR EVO models.

nezumi likes this.