1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snozone Milton Keynes (Indoor)

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by ponyrider, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

Yeah, well. In the area to attend the Grand Prix this weekend, it was there. Couldn't just leave it alone, really. Sure it's short, you sort of get that "is that it?" feeling after the first run. Funny thing is, after three runs and thinking I'm done, I actually ending up putting in a solid hour-and-a-half. What's that old thing about a bad day on skis better than a good day at work? Maybe.

So what's it all about really? You could definitely learn to parallel at a facility like this. It wasn't crowded, but in passing a few lesson groups I didn't spot a single person ploughing. The coaches looked like the were doing a good job.

For me, well I learned a few things as well: on skinny-waisted rental skis you can lean back and ankle-turn through 100% person-made snow. Try doing that on my super-stiff Volkls and see how long you last. Oh yeah, I also learned how to ride a poma. Only took me three goes - the first few I rode that thing upside down!

dibl0c likes this.
  2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like an industrial facility from the soviet era.
    That said, looks OK for practising technique etc.
    Now you can go to Falls and ride the International.

dibl0c and Rick Ross Da Boss like this.
  3. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Actually looks like halfway decent snow, better than the sludge that passed for snow at Mt Thebarton! Do you know how they make their snow?

4. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

I was actually trying to work that out but couldn't. Didn't see any nozzles. The snow consistency was like icing-sugar. So they give me this pair of Head skis that are about 70 mm maybe. First run I lean into my boots hard, like I have to on my ultra-stiff titanium planks - I could barely parallel these things! Took me three runs to work out just stay centred and use your ankles to turn, not the tips. I started to enjoy it then, it became a weird skating/skiing hybrid challenge. You wouldn't go out of your way to go there, but if in the vicinity worth it. The ski store attached to it had mega-bargains on offer. I can't lug them back, but I so badly wanted to buy a pair of Nordica Enforcer 100s, could have had them with bindings for AUD$650. And yes, you can test them but overkill for that icing sugar, to say the least!

5. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

I haven't been to MK but I have been to Hemel Hempstead which is between MK and London.

I think one good reason would be their snowpark/freestyle nights, with such a small space it's easy to go back up, redo and practice loop

There's also mogul days there for similar.

https://www.thesnowcentre.com/freestyle/

ponyrider likes this.
  6. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

That's a little unfair. Mt Thebarton was the first indoor ski slope with snow in the world.
    They had to do almost everything for the first time. All other indoor ski slopes have learnt a lot from Mt Thebarton.

Marty_McSly, dibl0c and fenrir like this.
  7. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not dissing their effort or their achievement. However, "sludge that passed for snow" it was.

Bogong likes this.
  8. Hallouminati

Hallouminati First Runs

Great to see these (and sorry for bumping an old thread). I used to live in the UK and often went to Tamworth Snowdome (https://www.snowdome.co.uk/) and it was fine. I actually learned to board there, although ski these days (after a fractured back boarding in Livigno in 2002). There is also a dry ski slope in Swadlincote (https://www.jnlswadlincote.co.uk/) which was pretty interesting.

I'd love to see something like this in Australia, especially Sydney. I cant see how it would fail, really. I know those moving carpet things have failed here before but no great surprise with that, Actually skiing on snow, albeit manmade, is a lot better.

ponyrider likes this.
  9. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

Yes I tend to agree - the concept seems to have some viability from a commercial perspective if located convenient to a large population centre. I'm not into park at all, but one thing that surprised me was the relative lack of rails/features at Snozone. Seems to me that would be the thing to get the punters in. They just had the one tube-like feature to 'jam' off (or whatever these young'uns do).

10. Pink

Pink One of Us

They do butter I hear. I’m not sure if they add jam to that.

ponyrider likes this.
  11. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I skied it a few years ago, had so much fun! spent hours in there

ponyrider likes this.