1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Soho Basin Ski Resort

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ScottGN, Jun 19, 2015.

1. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Yeah they own the road and the allocation for the road is quite wide.

That's why I think the number would be accurate, it's defining what's included in the number to get to 345ha. Possibly the road and the shoulder allocation etc.

2. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Including their whole title almost doubles it. Look for the reference to skiable terrain on their website.

Their title area is ca. 630 ha.

3. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

windy likes this.
  4. pedub

pedub One of Us

Nice. I wonder where the cafe will be going? :p

DPS Driver likes this.
  5. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

I guess 7 isnt enough..

Red_switch likes this.
  6. N0frilz

N0frilz Addicted

Cant you guys just be happy a New Zealand resort is spending money and going forward??

Dumphfish likes this.
  7. pedub

pedub One of Us

LOL It's a good thing. Just making a joke about the cafe.
    Cardies does get my vote as the best all around resort in NZ... they have nearly everyone covered

I'd much rather 7 cafes than the ridiculous queues you get at the TC base cafe

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  8. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

TC just needs money thrown at it, a lot.

9. N0frilz

N0frilz Addicted

Spending money on a mountain that makes little or no money? Would need real journeys to take over it and spend lots and lots on it.

10. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

So why doesnt it make money is the main question, apparently its the "best and biggest" in the country.
    Perhaps if it had ample car parking, a decent day lodge and a well maintained road it would make money.... Hence it needs money thrown at it.

Remarks used to haemorrhage money. now its more popular than coronet, all it took was a bit of money thrown at it.

11. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

And they intend on spending more at Remarks,
    The Road keeps getting extended and I rode the chair with SkiNZ CEO a year or two ago and he had just returned from a trip to Australia to see how we do Snow making so well as they are just learning that they should have started getting serious about it years ago.

12. Red_switch

I find your comment re snow making an interesting one... To say NZSki aren't serious about it is pretty naive, the development of snowmaking at Coronet was world leading, it's a model in making a marginal, low altitude resort work fairly well with a well designed automated system. At one stage they had the highest density of snow makers of any ski area in the world (they don't need as many now with more modern systems).

Remarks have been slower, yes, but that has been due to power and water supply limitations.

13. Red_switch

Keep telling yourself that ;)

essjaywhy likes this.
  14. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

Naive? This was a frank discussion with the CEO so I can’t see how I was be Naive.
    As far as water and power limitations that is part of snow making infrastructure so if your lacking power and water you are lacking snow.

15. Red_switch

I understand that, but it's something they've known about since about 1985, and planning for for a bit less than that. It seems like a bit of a weird/naive thing for Paul Anderson to say.

16. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Up until the installation of the Curvey basin chairlift the remarkables could only run snowmaking or the chairlifts, Hence you never saw them making snow in the day time like coronet often does.
    As far as water goes they were limited on their take from lake alta and the feed prior to the installation of the the new pumphouse at the top of the alta chairlift was using the natural rastus burn as a water source via the weir which is still in the burn just up from the current curvey drive. Due to the fact that they had to use the natural water source the pump which increased flow through the rastus burn had to be switched on, water took about an hour to reach the weir, not exactly ideal.

With the upgrades they have thrown in lances all the way up curvey as well as multiple TF10's on the existing alta trails.
    The previous snow makers were pretty ancient, some of them were from the 80s and still had Mount cook airlines logos ,the orginal owners before they were bought by AirNZ and then AirNZ selling the fields to Southern Alpine recreation (NZSki)

Snowmaking wasnt so much of an issue as the fact that the current remarks is only stage 1 of the intended development of the remarkables, the goal was always to have the resort in the Doolans Creek right branch catchment area. Resources consent was issued for cat skiing in this area in the early 90s but due to restrictions from DOC they never even operated. You can see the old cat cabin at the top of the Sugar Drive these days.

essjaywhy likes this.
  17. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting
    I always presumed the access to Doolan's if it happened would be via the new Curvey lift- but that may well be a distraction
    Given the Sugar lift is categorically the worst lift I ride in Australasia -and therefore the lack of upgrade has been a bit perplexing with all the other Remarks infrastructure upgrades-I wonder if a new Sugar lift might be the new access lift for Doolan's expansion?
    You'd imagine it would certainly offload much further up the basin at the very least

18. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Last spring i was riding the sugar headwall above the sugar drive and there was surveying pegs in the snow looking like a ski run from the top of the head wall. My guess is that a sugar replacement is coming very very soon. Possibly running to the butress between sugar and toilet bowl as one lift could serve both areas off one lift.

Doolans access will likely be from sugar or over helicopter ridge (the flat ridge above the park, above the galipoli chutes)
    The terrain on the other side of curvey is not beginner or even intermediate friendly.

Red_switch and MisterMxyzptlk like this.
  19. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Also the sugar chair and shadow chairs are identical models!

20. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Doesnt seem to stop as much and I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 1 chair to ride Shadow
    Sugar is slow, cold , crowded and stops all the time

21. Red_switch

You can get away with a shitty old fixed grip running fast when it only serves advanced terrain. But when it's the place to be for cruisey blues and terrain park..

Remarks should start cutting their superpipe again.

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.