Sole grip for AT ski boots.

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
Hi All.
I took a fall on an icy trail the other day when I was carrying my skis and wearing ski boots. No harm, but it could have been nasty. I swore I'd do something about it when I got home, but I'm wondering what to do?
I thought about screw-in studs but they'd be hard on the floors of huts/kiosks when I use the boots in resorts.
Instep crampons would make sense on the slopes, but not for walking on roads/tracks where the ice is a thin layer over gravel or asphalt as it was in this case.

I wonder if Selleys Shoe Grip might be the go? I can't imagine it'd last long though. Fairly high wear areas, the toes and heel of AT boots.
Anyone tried it?
Any other thoughts?

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Be careful not to compromise release at the heel with adding additional grip on the AFD (anti-friction device) area of the binding brake….. for AT bindings,

Plus might impact alpine binding security at the toe as well….. would affect DYN settings….

Depending on the AT boot one can sometimes access alternate alpine/ AT sole inserts (e.g. Tecnica AT boots have “gripwalk” vs. Alpine alternates.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
I have a set of "Magic Spiker" brand micro-spikes, a stretchy rubber device which attaches to your boot and has small spikes underneath. I bought them to take to Japan for icy paths. Relatively cheap and effective.

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
I have a set of "Magic Spiker" brand micro-spikes, a stretchy rubber device which attaches to your boot and has small spikes underneath. I bought them to take to Japan for icy paths. Relatively cheap and effective.
I got something similar from Decathalon for a prospective trip to do the Overland in winter, for hike boots, because the boards on the trails can get quite icy. I could give them a go on the ski boots, I guess. (Actually I tried fitting them and they'd need mods for the pivot point at the toe of the boot. Should work though)
Trouble with all the ideas like this that require you to remember to carry and fit things to the boots is that invariably you'll slip when you haven't bothered, or have forgotten.
Looking at the bottom of the boots, I see that the quite decent 'tread' pattern is cleverly slightly recessed so that the first thing that hits the ground is the smooth shiny slippery heel and then 'whoops'! Sometimes I think ski boots were never designed for use off the skis...

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
Be careful not to compromise release at the heel with adding additional grip on the AFD (anti-friction device) area of the binding brake….. for AT bindings,

Plus might impact alpine binding security at the toe as well….. would affect DYN settings….

Depending on the AT boot one can sometimes access alternate alpine/ AT sole inserts (e.g. Tecnica AT boots have “gripwalk” vs. Alpine alternates.

Oooh, good thought. Thanks!

Reactions: Chaeron

Skitragic

First Runs
Jul 26, 2021
Walking on ice in ski boots is difficult. I don't know of a device that can overcome this, other than when you know your on ice - side step on the up hill edge of your boots will give some grip but go slow. Use poles to balance. I've used this technique many times getting in/out of sloping car parks in NZ.

Beyond this, we use Cat Tracks to make it safer and easier walking in ski boots and these attachments will protect the base of the boot from wear which, over time, can affect the fit into bindings.

The next step is to update your gear. New boots have "grip walker" bases and must be used with "grip walker" bindings. Check them out at Head or Atomic. This will be our next move and by the way, get into some customer liners at the same time - Zipfits or Svenfits are the best. If you do this, you will be set up for 10 years and you will be pain free as well.

Attachments

• 20210726_152147[1].jpg
    20210726_152147[1].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
Walking on ice in ski boots is difficult. I don't know of a device that can overcome this, other than when you know your on ice - side step on the up hill edge of your boots will give some grip but go slow. Use poles to balance. I've used this technique many times getting in/out of sloping car parks in NZ.

Beyond this, we use Cat Tracks to make it safer and easier walking in ski boots and these attachments will protect the base of the boot from wear which, over time, can affect the fit into bindings.

The next step is to update your gear. New boots have "grip walker" bases and must be used with "grip walker" bindings. Check them out at Head or Atomic. This will be our next move and by the way, get into some customer liners at the same time - Zipfits or Svenfits are the best. If you do this, you will be set up for 10 years and you will be pain free as well.
Thanks for the advice about grip-walker. Next pair of AT boots will try for that. Regarding Zipfits and Svenfits, I'll check them out.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
You could even see if you can retrofit with Gripwalk soles on your current boots…. boot model and make and age depending….

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
The answer depends on how far you are going into the mountains and for how long. On a bigger journey you may as well take a skimo suitable boot crampon. The heel attachment on some crampons can however clash with your walking mode lever if you want to use walking mode .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass