1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Solid to advanced intermediate. Ski rental next steps.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by elSpike, Jan 19, 2019.

1. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

Team. As you may have seen, we are back from our Shiga / Madarao trip and have two more planned to Myoko and Yuzawa next month.

Stats: 184cm, 89kg, 40yo.

Our instructor this trip managed to progress me to strong intermediate.

I’m comfortable on pretty much all groomed runs on resorts. Can get down pretty much anything (but not necessarily enjoy) ungroomed. Linking parallel turns etc.

I’ve always just ticked intermediate on the rental form and ended up with a mix of skis, mostly 170-174cm with waists usually 74-77mm. Typical beginner ish skis like Atomic Fibre X, Rossi Experience 74s.

After the seemingly epic powder days in Shiga and Madarao and the very friendly tree runs at Madarao, I think I want to try something a bit wider.

I don’t have access to Demo days (I don’t think) so I’ll have to take it slow and rent for a few days at a time as I try stuff out.

That said, what should I be looking for, for my next rental ski? How big a jump up in waist and do I keep at the 174 sort of length?

2. Jellybeans

Jellybeans Walking on a dream Ski Pass: Gold

Try 85-90mm IMO, if you don't like powder that much, you wouldn't go up in waist much, if you are improving and liking it more as you improve, you could go up. 175 is okay in terms of length. Could go up to 180 if you are feeling more confident.

MickM likes this.
  3. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I’d personally say even up to 100mm for Japan. I’ve seen a lot of people renting and liking the Salomon QST 99 here in Niseko.

I don’t steer you to any particular ski incidentally but a carve friendly 99mm or so underfoot ski that isn’t too burly would in my view be ideal at your weight and height for dabbling in Japanese powder and trees, and still carve fine.

piolet likes this.
  4. Annabuzzy

Oh and I’d think 180cm or thereabouts as an emerging black run skier.

piolet likes this.
  5. elSpike

So a K2 pinnacle 88 or 95 @ 177, or a Line Sick Day 88 or 94 @ 179 sound like they would all work. (They are the ones on offer at Myoko Snow Sports)

Maybe I can try the 88 for a couple of days and the 95/94 for a couple of days to compare.

Thanks for the advice!

Jacko4650, Dumphfish and Annabuzzy like this.
  6. Annabuzzy

Demoing is a good idea, but if you can’t I’d steer you to the wider widths if those skis you mentioned (which would be ideal).

7. Jellybeans

If you are exploring more powder (you only ski Japan right?), 95/94 could definitely work, angling towards what Annabuzzy said.

8. elSpike

Yep only japan so far. And renting each time. No room for ski storage in our apartment.

#8 elSpike, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  9. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

For those who don’t know, @elSpike is an Aussie ex-pat living in Singapore (hence the apartment/space issue).

elSpike and Jellybeans like this.
  10. Jellybeans

Yeah saw that, thought it must be tight space wise living in SG. If it works, renting is fine.

11. elSpike

Yep. It costs more but no storage, easier travel, and opportunity to try different skis.

I’ll send a mail to them to see how much trouble it would be to try the different widths. Looks like the allow one free swap and then ¥1000 for each additional. Not too onerous if I only do it a couple of times.

I guess I’m just worried that going from a 77 to a 95 might be too big a jump for changing edges when on the groomed stuff. I have no experience of what that’s gunna feel like at all.

Thanks again for your advice.

Jellybeans likes this.
  12. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

I've skied the Pinnacle 95 a few times and should have bought it. That ski is stupid easy to ski anywhere and everywhere. You can make any turn shape you want on it. Some people don't rate the top end but you don't have to worry about that. Has a beautiful flex and would be great in Japan especially for the trees and a little deep.

13. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I wouldn't be too worried about going up to a wider ski (eg: 74 to 99) in one go. I did and felt a better skier almost immediately; particularly in softer wind-blown patches. As mentioned above the popular Solomon QST 99 is a very forgiving and flexible ski that works just as well as my carving skis on the groomers. I am now looking to go a bit wider again (QST 106) and longer 181.

14. elSpike

Interesting. I might see if I can organise a mini demo on the first day. Have them set up both the 88 and 95 and do a few runs on each before skiing the week.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  15. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Similar size to you @elSpike -182cm & around 90kg. Have used the K2 Aftershock 88mm 180cm previously in Myoko and loved them upto waist deep. More than waist deep was a bit of a challenge to stay afloat. Now riding the Pinnacle 95 at 184cm. Loved them in the Oz fresh and eager to jump into some fresh in February in Japan.
    As you're advancing, developing correct technique is more important than the skis.....
    Good skis can compensate for poor technique up to a point
    Good technique turns everything into a ball of fun:)

elSpike likes this.
  16. elSpike

I agree totally with technique statement. We’ve had a minimum of two, and usually four private lessons at the start of each season. I feel like I am a genuine upper intermediate level now and looking to try something other than the default beginner / rental skis while still developing technique. We came to skiing quite late in life so good technique is all we have to keep us going. My days of using pure athleticism to make up for my lack of ability are all behind me.

Follow up question would be, knowing what you know now, would you have gone straight to the 95s?

17. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Since a lot of my skiing is in Oz and predominately described as hard packed, I was looking for a one quiver all mountain ski. Hence the Aftershock at 88mm which also worked well 90% of the time in Myoko.
    Technolgy changes, skis develop and so the Pinnacle 95 became my one quiver ski which worked 80% of the time in Oz but not so good on the crusty hard pack. In typical Japan conditions, I think this would be an excellent one quiver ski and certainly worth giving it a test run.
    Its an easy turning ski so don't worry about the width. The length and width will keep you on top of all but the dryest snow, the early rocker allows you to make steering turns and the combination of the side cut and waist allows you to get it on edge to carve on the groomers.
    A ski with early rise (rocker) will typically feel like a 10 cm shorter all camber ski so rather than trying different widths, I would suggest trying different lengths of the 95. :thumbs:

Jacko4650 and elSpike like this.
  18. elSpike

Sounds like a plan then! Thanks again for the insight.

hipo likes this.
  19. elSpike

To loop back here. I ended up on 174 K2 Wayback 88s and they were a ton of fun. Don’t think I’ll ever go back to 74s if I can help it! Also thinking longer for next ski in a couple of weeks. 180s maybe.

Wife was on 170 K2 Aluvit 88s which she enjoyed immensely too.

We didn’t end up trading out as conditions weren’t amazing for the last two days so we stuck with what we knew.

Side question. The skis were super slippery when we got them (made them very fun) but by the end of the 4 days I noticed that they would sometimes feel like they were “gripping” when flat on the snow (flatter slopes). Not all the time but almost like brakes were being pulled causing my weight to shift forward like I was going to over balance. Googling around there are mentions that it could be they needed a waxing or that is a product of wet or slushy snow. Appreciate some insight here.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  20. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

Probably a bit of both but when the sun comes out and the snow warms up and gets wet it can get very 'sticky' very quickly. I've skied some snow that had all the forgiveness of PVC.

elSpike likes this.
  21. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

They need wax or better still Phantom.

elSpike likes this.
  22. fenrir

fenrir Addicted

Don't forget that modern all mountain skis come with a hefty amount of rocker which makes them feel significantly shorter. Sizing up on a rockered ski should feel pretty natural.

elSpike likes this.
  23. elSpike

I was just reading the thread about that. Unfortunately I don’t decide what the rental places use.

24. elSpike

Last post to this thread. I finally skied a Salomon XDR 88 TI @179 and it was absolutely perfect. I definitely had to work a little harder in some conditions but they just cut through the crud at Naeba like they were on rails. Found my width and length I think!

25. Annabuzzy

That will be a great all mountain ski. In particular it will be a great ski for Oz.

I own the Salomon QST 99, which is obviously a touch wider than yours, but much the same construction. I love it, notwithstanding it is now set up for touring duty

#25 Annabuzzy, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    elSpike likes this.