Somewhere East of Thredbo

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by dayzoff, Sep 14, 2018.

1. dayzoff

dayzoff One of Us

The first decision of the day was to head off from behind the Eagles Nest and skin NE toward the highest point at 2020m up behind Sponars tbar as opposed to just cruising along the cat tracks at the top of the resort. Just wanted to get an idea of how long the NE route takes and the edge of the range was starting to lose snow so that was another reason for heading NE first.

Those in the know don't need to be told of the location of the below photos. The very steep section at the top just out of shot to the left looks like it's about to wet slide. First run was at 11am and east facing was already quite soft so I tried to stay as south as possible in my line. Was able to ski all the way down to 1620m where the creek then opened right up and any skiable lines below there would be very tight anyhow even if still covered.

Skinned back up the spur line between the two drainage gullies and this was the first time I have got a good luck at the next drainage gully to the east and the SW facing treed slopes to the east of the gully. Very impressed with the terrain in there. At the top I decided to take the SW facing fall line back into the first drainage gully as I have admired this line for many years from down in the valley and have always wanted to ski it. Reminds me a lot of the SW line on the east side of Stanley's. Second run was at 1.30pm and the SW had softened nicely and I finished again at the same 1620m mark.

I made it back to above the cruiser by 3.30pm and was sitting by the pool listening to the DJ with beer in hand by 4.00pm! One of the best days I've had out there

2. Gimp

Gimp One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Love that area, poachers paradise.

3. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Looks great. I've never been but it's on the list. I suspect it's being discussed on another forum re more generalised access.