Even better run off pt.2061m, the west ridge; still pretty untracked

Very good conditions in the MacKenzie

Last edited:
Reactions: soza and Froff Life

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Really enjoyed roundhill yesterday afternoon. Didn't go up heritage, just cruised the groomers with the family. Not many in the hill and the weather was perfect.
DSCN8894.JPG
DSCN8927.JPG

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
We have spent 4 of the last 6 days up at the snow having taken a bit of leave from work and booked into a cabin at Tekapo. Weather wise we could not have picked a better time. Today was a mellow Sunday up at Dobo. Schools racing was on and son had his cheap Dobson ski club lesson. I boot packed up Dobson peak but the snow was still pretty firm. Western faces were stripped of snow again so wasn't worth venturing out that way. Over the back of Dobson peak from the T bar still has good cover and looked to have softened up a bit as I saw two venture down.

Video of conditions this last Tuesday

And roundhill with it's amazing views

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Fingers crossed for tomorrow, Hutt, Dobson and fox peak were closed today and most of the week. Only managed one day in the last fortnight even though I have had 6 free days to go up.

JonthePom

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2011
Cornwall, England
Thank you for sharing - your pictures and videos bring back many happy memories of South Canterbury, especially when viewed from here in Cornwall, UK.
We worked at Dobson - lived up on the mountain in that hut - for 89 & 90 seasons and know that road very well from snow clearing with the grader that still resides up there. The Foote family remain close friends. What a feat, discovered built and still run by one family.
We saw Roundhill close, stuff auctioned off and since reopen. Also helped out grooming at Ohau for a while - same owners still there too!
Lake Opuha was all a farm then but our lifetime's best skiing day was at Fox Peak with a foot of new snow and just four of us on the hill......new powder every run.....lunch in the back of a ute.
Happy days - glad to see they continue for you!

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Thank you for sharing - your pictures and videos bring back many happy memories of South Canterbury, especially when viewed from here in Cornwall, UK.
We worked at Dobson - lived up on the mountain in that hut - for 89 & 90 seasons and know that road very well from snow clearing with the grader that still resides up there. The Foote family remain close friends. What a feat, discovered built and still run by one family.
We saw Roundhill close, stuff auctioned off and since reopen. Also helped out grooming at Ohau for a while - same owners still there too!
Lake Opuha was all a farm then but our lifetime's best skiing day was at Fox Peak with a foot of new snow and just four of us on the hill......new powder every run.....lunch in the back of a ute.
Happy days - glad to see they continue for you!

yeah the south Canterbury/McKenzie fields are really unique and I can't imagine they have changed much or will change a great deal in years to come. Dobson has such a friendly vibe....in fact if I move anywhere it will be to Fairlie or Tekapo, don't think I would ever get bored with fox/Dobo/roundhill. Sad thing is even with all the snow roundhill closed its doors yesterday for the season.....not enough paying customers this time of year. Difference with Dobo is although it's a commercial field it's very much a family run thing and hardly huge profit making. If I win the lotto I would happily buy into their vision.

Spent a fond few years in Cornwall. Had some awesome surf and ate my fair share of pasties. Lovely part of the world. Quite a few similarities with south Canterbury. The ruggedness, natural beauty and solitude make the sacrifices and sometime hardship worth it.

The couple living up the hill this year are from Scotland. They have had a great time....both new to skiing as well. What an experience they will have had.

Hoping Dobson is open in the morning. Winter keeps giving with another 40cm today and I have the day off work.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Hutt on Saturday for a change. Arrived at 9:20 top car park full and thick low cloud. Kinda regretted it.....until the shuttle drove us above the clouds to a perfect bluebird day. Yeah it was crazy busy, yeah it frustrates the crap out of you but it also has some of the best snow it's had for years and groomed to perfection.
My first taste of spring slushy softness so me and the boy just played in the park hitting the kids jumps and boxes.
Also managed a few runs down to the triple chair......out of the ten visits I have made to Hutt this season this is the first time all the lifts were running.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Really enjoyed roundhill yesterday afternoon. Didn't go up heritage, just cruised the groomers with the family. Not many in the hill and the weather was perfect.
DSCN8894.JPG
DSCN8927.JPG
We love the Roundhill groomers, they keep us occupied for hours, in between toasties at the cafe.

Reactions: soza

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
We love the Roundhill groomers, they keep us occupied for hours, in between toasties at the cafe.
yeah I could quite happily just bomb down Karl`s/powder run all day. Roundhill beats both Dobo and Hutt when it comes to groomers. everything just seems to flow really nice. Dobson seems to be forever on a traverse and Hutt is only good in sections....too many cat tracks and bottlenecks, Fine on a quiet day but not fun when busy.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
We planned to have last weekend at Hutt. Saturday was the peak to pub race and a busy day. We phoned and booked a cabin at the holiday park in Methven but when we got there it was double booked and occupied. Didnt phase us too much, we just went home then hit up Dobo on the Sunday. Nice spring conditions both days, Sunday was super sticky in the afternoon I had intended to hike out above the T bar but gave it a miss. The boy and mrs both had lessons with the mrs giving Skis a go. Second time she has tried and I think I may have lost her to the dark side....She had a really good instructor and got a lot out of it.

Reactions: Froff Life

col

One of Us
Jun 25, 2005
love the photos Col looks like i made a bad choice going to Hutt that day. the second pic is one of my favorite places to head out too, such a nice run.

yeah never go to Hutt on a weekend, especially Saturdays unless its end of season.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Seasons over at Dobson......a week before the scheduled close date. Weather not forcast too great but it's probably more down to lack of visitors and finishing staff early. Shame as I was up all weekend and cover is great. Was hoping to get another 2 or 3 visits this week. No choice but to go to Hutt now.

Crazy to think that the Aussie resorts have outlast the NZ ones this year....even with a 3m base.

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Seasons over at Dobson......a week before the scheduled close date. Weather not forcast too great but it's probably more down to lack of visitors and finishing staff early. Shame as I was up all weekend and cover is great. Was hoping to get another 2 or 3 visits this week. No choice but to go to Hutt now.

Crazy to think that the Aussie resorts have outlast the NZ ones this year....even with a 3m base.
Saw some pics from fox peak, the melt sure has kicked in fast.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Saw some pics from fox peak, the melt sure has kicked in fast.
Yeah I saw that. Was quite surprised how patchy it was compared to Dobson. This photo was taken yesterday, everyone up there were hoping for ongoing weekend opening past the planned 8th as cover was that good. Was a very quiet weekend though so I think they were just winding down and letting staff finish up early. Interestingly saw more cars dragging ski boats than carrying skis on the homeward journey yesterday.
IMG_20171001_150520.jpg

Centago

One of Us
May 20, 2008
Not to mention Turoa and Whakapapa which generally come into their own at this time of year.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Had a last day up at Hutt over the weekend to wrap up the season.

33 days all up and some of the best days I've had, certainly in the southern hemisphere.
Could have hit the 50 mark but limiting myself to the 3 local resorts ment a lot of days the mountain was shut.
Wouldn't be surprised if Hutt and Dobson are closed a quarter of the season.
Need a bit more flexibility next year and a bit more forward thinking in planning trips further afield.
Still Dobson was blessed with perfect conditions and loved every minute up there, a great crew work the hill and lots of friendly locals to share the Stoke. Same can be said for Roundhill although we didn't spend as many days there.
Just edited the video together and was great looking back over the fun days we had.
Can't wait to do it all again next year.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Had a last day up at Hutt over the weekend to wrap up the season.

33 days all up and some of the best days I've had, certainly in the southern hemisphere.
Could have hit the 50 mark but limiting myself to the 3 local resorts ment a lot of days the mountain was shut.
Wouldn't be surprised if Hutt and Dobson are closed a quarter of the season.
Need a bit more flexibility next year and a bit more forward thinking in planning trips further afield.
Still Dobson was blessed with perfect conditions and loved every minute up there, a great crew work the hill and lots of friendly locals to share the Stoke. Same can be said for Roundhill although we didn't spend as many days there.
Just edited the video together and was great looking back over the fun days we had.
Can't wait to do it all again next year.
Awesome edit! Skiing whilst listening to King Giz is just too much fun :D
This year was definitely the best snow Ive ever experienced in NZ. Amazing year for Canterbury and Tekapo resorts for sure.

Maybe next season look at expanding your reach to Fox Peak, Ohau and some of of the Canterbury clubbies?

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Awesome edit! Skiing whilst listening to King Giz is just too much fun :D
This year was definitely the best snow Ive ever experienced in NZ. Amazing year for Canterbury and Tekapo resorts for sure.

Maybe next season look at expanding your reach to Fox Peak, Ohau and some of of the Canterbury clubbies?
Yeah the King G was on constant rotation on the drives up this year.
Was a funny season with almost every weekend in August hit by the weather. We had to pull the plug on weekend plans to fox peak and Oahu due to this. Luckily mid week day trips paid off at dobo. Definitely get the ski NZ 3 resort pass and get down to Queenstown next year.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
I know, how good is that. Only T bar going but we will be up for sure.
I went up to Hutt yesterday and skinned up to the summit for one run down. Such a weird feeling having the whole of a resort to yourself. Heaps of snow still around, in fact we had a dusting of fresh last night.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass