1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

South Face Road condition.

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Oldie, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

I know that there is already a SFR thread but my comment is not related to logging or the environment.
    My question is has anyone driven the SFR recently and if so what is the condition like? Towards the end of last years season, I reverted to the old way through Noojee because the condition of SFR became really bad. I drive a smallish hatch and I became concerned that because the condition was bad and getting worse, I may cause damage to the suspension on my car. It seemed to me that since the road was temporily closed mid season that no grading or other maintenance was done.
    SFR is my route of choice for getting to Baw Baw but not if it is in really bad condition.
    Oldie

Tanuki likes this.
  2. Frontier_Psychiatrist

Frontier_Psychiatrist First Runs

SFR was pretty sketchy last season. When I take friends up we go through Neerim South for ski hire and a decent breakfast at the milk bar. When I took the bus from Moe I was grateful I didn't take my hatchback instead.

3. Japanesiko

Japanesiko Early Days

Hi Oldie,

I was up a couple of weeks ago. First time up at Baw Baw. SFR was in great condition. Left hand side a little corrugated in places on the way down the mountain. People need to learn to drop tyre pressure.

In saying this I drive a Ford Ranger.

Cheers,

J

snowgum likes this.
  4. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Drove the SFR yesterday and it was fine. A little bit corrugated between the 7-8km markers, but nothing too serious. Usual potholes but not huge, a typical dirt road really. Looks like some sections have had a sprinkling of small stones, makes it a bit skittish in some areas, but simply drive to the conditions. I was in my 4wd following a nissan micra and they had no problems whatsoever. Hope this helps. No need to drop tyre pressure unless you're on the beach!

5. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Thanks to those who responded. Seems like there has been some work going on and it's back to the usual condition.:)

6. snow drive solutions

snow drive solutions Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Under inflation can have a significant effect on the handling of the vehicle and cause the tyres to wear unevenly. The same is true of over inflation. Checking the tyre pressure regularly minimises wear on your tyres.

Japanesiko likes this.
  7. Japanesiko

Japanesiko Early Days

I stand corrected. :) my post about tyre pressure is more suited to heavily corrugated dirt tracks! During summers up north!

8. Japanesiko

Japanesiko Early Days

Nice :) Gotta love those micras - do you have a lift kit on it ;)