South Face Road condition.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
I know that there is already a SFR thread but my comment is not related to logging or the environment.
My question is has anyone driven the SFR recently and if so what is the condition like? Towards the end of last years season, I reverted to the old way through Noojee because the condition of SFR became really bad. I drive a smallish hatch and I became concerned that because the condition was bad and getting worse, I may cause damage to the suspension on my car. It seemed to me that since the road was temporily closed mid season that no grading or other maintenance was done.
SFR is my route of choice for getting to Baw Baw but not if it is in really bad condition.
Oldie

Reactions: Tanuki
Mar 19, 2020
SFR was pretty sketchy last season. When I take friends up we go through Neerim South for ski hire and a decent breakfast at the milk bar. When I took the bus from Moe I was grateful I didn't take my hatchback instead.

Japanesiko

Early Days
Jan 20, 2020
Melbourne
I know that there is already a SFR thread but my comment is not related to logging or the environment.
My question is has anyone driven the SFR recently and if so what is the condition like? Towards the end of last years season, I reverted to the old way through Noojee because the condition of SFR became really bad. I drive a smallish hatch and I became concerned that because the condition was bad and getting worse, I may cause damage to the suspension on my car. It seemed to me that since the road was temporily closed mid season that no grading or other maintenance was done.
SFR is my route of choice for getting to Baw Baw but not if it is in really bad condition.
Oldie

Hi Oldie,

I was up a couple of weeks ago. First time up at Baw Baw. SFR was in great condition. Left hand side a little corrugated in places on the way down the mountain. People need to learn to drop tyre pressure.

In saying this I drive a Ford Ranger.

Cheers,

J

Reactions: snowgum

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
Drove the SFR yesterday and it was fine. A little bit corrugated between the 7-8km markers, but nothing too serious. Usual potholes but not huge, a typical dirt road really. Looks like some sections have had a sprinkling of small stones, makes it a bit skittish in some areas, but simply drive to the conditions. I was in my 4wd following a nissan micra and they had no problems whatsoever. Hope this helps. No need to drop tyre pressure unless you're on the beach!

Japanesiko

Early Days
Jan 20, 2020
Melbourne
Under inflation can have a significant effect on the handling of the vehicle and cause the tyres to wear unevenly. The same is true of over inflation. Checking the tyre pressure regularly minimises wear on your tyres.

I stand corrected. :) my post about tyre pressure is more suited to heavily corrugated dirt tracks! During summers up north!

Japanesiko

Early Days
Jan 20, 2020
Melbourne
Drove the SFR yesterday and it was fine. A little bit corrugated between the 7-8km markers, but nothing too serious. Usual potholes but not huge, a typical dirt road really. Looks like some sections have had a sprinkling of small stones, makes it a bit skittish in some areas, but simply drive to the conditions. I was in my 4wd following a nissan micra and they had no problems whatsoever. Hope this helps. No need to drop tyre pressure unless you're on the beach!

Nice :) Gotta love those micras - do you have a lift kit on it ;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass