Trip Report South Island 2019 Trip Report, Conditions & Pics

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I fly out of Sydney into Queenstown on 6th August and have a Mountain Collective pass, so remarks and coronet peak, with a cardie trip possible too. We have penciled in the 10th as a heli day. But will look that in on arrival, as it will be weather dependent (the company will change the day if they can)

Flying out of Christchurch on the 13th.

Reactions: Zimbooo

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
3-10th of august for me in QT / Wanaka and the rugrats, heli unlikely!

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Number one son and his partner are in Queenstown late September compliments of a trip they won. Not doing any snow stuff as both are recovering from ACL injuries. SDS will be horrible for them I think. I'll post a few pictures of their trip.

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
I'll be there first week in July, not to ski unfortunately as I'm going with my mum (not a skier). Planning on some adventures nonetheless. Happy to post updates about conditions etc whilst I'm there.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
With all this talk of Stoke treads, and with a sneaky trip locked in for me in August I decided to start a thread.

Will be popping my heli cherry on this trip too! So I am snow dancing and trying to build the Stoke!

#jacksgotthis
@Heinz is your encyclopaedia regarding best heli options..... hope you score!!!

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
snow.ginini.com
Wonderful sunset from the Remarks webcam tonight.

theremarkables-mainbasin.jpg

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Usual deal for me. Wanaka Aug 4-17.

Reactions: mr

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
We have penciled in the 10th as a heli day. But will look that in on arrival, as it will be weather dependent (the company will change the day if they can)

Which company?
You definitely need to be flexible with the fly day. Allow yourself a window of several days at least. Sure give yourself a couple days at the start to get your legs in, but then be ready to go as soon a conditions look good. Many people make the mistake of going for a week, but just penciling the last day or two for heli, then have weather come in and miss out. So you are right to check in with the operator on conditions on arrival and target a day. If that day doesn't happen due to wind/cloud/snow etc you will get booked on the following day.

Reactions: Fozzie Bear and mr

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Which company?
You definitely need to be flexible with the fly day. Allow yourself a window of several days at least. Sure give yourself a couple days at the start to get your legs in, but then be ready to go as soon a conditions look good. Many people make the mistake of going for a week, but just penciling the last day or two for heli, then have weather come in and miss out. So you are right to check in with the operator on conditions on arrival and target a day. If that day doesn't happen due to wind/cloud/snow etc you will get booked on the following day.
With HMH and yep my plan is to follow up with them closer to the time.

Won't need to get my legs as I will have just done a clinic the weekend before.

And the other people I am going with live in jindy.

Reactions: LMB and Heinz

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

:thumbs:
I have skied with few of the Queenstown HMH guides when they take people over to the Wanaka side. Mike has now taken over as Chief guide to allow Mark to focus more on his annual film festival. Mike has been trying to get me to come down to ski a bit more of the Queenstown terrain.

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
One week until we head over. Although the first week is a sightseeing drive down from Auckland so we're not on snow until the 6th of July. Hope they get some more snow before then.

Dumphfish

Addicted
Oct 9, 2017
One week until we head over. Although the first week is a sightseeing drive down from Auckland so we're not on snow until the 6th of July. Hope they get some more snow before then.
Next week looking pretty dry but after that there is some more promise. Could be good timing?

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
I’m off to Queenstown in a couple of weeks with the family (getting excited, especially now I’ve finished writing reports and the end of term is nearly in sight). Mstr 8 has finally seen the light and wants to learn to ski so he can “keep up with the rest of the family”. I’ve got 3 x 3 hour private adaptive lessons booked for him, which I plan to tag along on at least initially for my son’s reassurance. Having said that, he may decide he doesn’t want me there, so I may just end up doing my own thing.

The kids have been a bit more involved this year in helping me organise our off-snow entertainment as well. I’ve had requests for the aquatic centre, Fat Badgers pizza and the onsen hot pools. Hubby wants to go into town early one morning for breakfast when we’re not skiing. I’ve suggested that we go up the gondola, eat breakky up there and ride the luges. Obviously that will be subject to weather conditions.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy

@LMB - we got a SUBSTANTIAL discount too :)

Reactions: LMB

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Some great pics but sadly true re: glaciers. On that topic, does anyone know if the Tasman is still skiable? It used to be highly rated. Was on my list but not so sure now.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Any advice on heli skiing around Mt Cook? i.e. good routes/companies to pick?
Have done in Wanaka before

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Any advice on heli skiing around Mt Cook? i.e. good routes/companies to pick?
Have done in Wanaka before

I have had several days there over the years including an awesome one to finish last years trip. See here.
That was with HMH with a 2 hour drive from Wanaka. Others flew up from Queenstown.
HMH work closely with Mt Cook Heliski who are locally based. Best guy to talk to is Trev Streat who has been guiding in that region for well over 20 years (previously based Wanaka with HMH).

Call_me_Ishmael

One of Us
Nov 19, 2011
Well we're finishing up our annual 10 days
Snow was surprisingly decent early last week but failing fast now
Dust on crust sometimes with no dust over the entire Southern Lakes District by today but props to Remarks they have delivered a decent skifield - in fact the only one that has really including Cardies and despite Coronet's ski making wizardry
Sadly that's meant the overall experience at Remarkables was less than usual with parking crowds and whatever snow there's been devoured by the masses( which we were part of)
An unusually dense intersection of NZ and Australian school holidays too
Having said that it's always fun and with any luck the Southern fields should be pumping by Monday after a quick squizz at the weekend's minty looking charts
fullsizeoutput_12b2.jpeg

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
We’re in Christchurch at the moment after spending 8 days in Queenstown, with 4 days on the snow. Mstr 8 picked up skiing pretty quickly, and we ended up booking an extra private lesson for him for our fourth day on the snow. He had the most amazing adaptive instructor, and we also had adaptive volunteers come along with us for the first three days of lessons.

I would like to say a special thanks to @DPS Driver for Mstr 8’s pink skis. He got so many compliments about them, and he loved skiing on them.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Well we're finishing up our annual 10 days
Snow was surprisingly decent early last week but failing fast now
Dust on crust sometimes with no dust over the entire Southern Lakes District by today but props to Remarks they have delivered a decent skifield - in fact the only one that has really including Cardies and despite Coronet's ski making wizardry
Sadly that's meant the overall experience at Remarkables was less than usual with parking crowds and whatever snow there's been devoured by the masses( which we were part of)
An unusually dense intersection of NZ and Australian school holidays too
Having said that it's always fun and with any luck the Southern fields should be pumping by Monday after a quick squizz at the weekend's minty looking charts
fullsizeoutput_12b2.jpeg

Good past BTW!

How about the infamous Remarks rocks?

In lean snow periods, it can be quite a slalom fest around the rocks.

Where as CP & Cardi have a lot more grass underneath. And I think TC might be a mix - depending on which Basin ones in.

Oh apparently ski techs in Sth Lakes can readily tell a Remarks skier from other fields by the base.

That said it is a spectacular field and grand fun when the snow is there.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass