Advice needed South vs North Island

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Sakr, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Sakr

Sakr First Runs

I was hoping to get some tips on skiing in NZ.
    I can't decide which resort should I choose for (hopefully) this year's skiing trip (end of Aug/early Sep; 1 week).
    I have been to Queenstown twice already and tried out all the ski resorts in the area. Now I am thinking maybe I should try different area.
    How is skiing in North Island comparing to South? How difficult is it to get to ski slopes (I am hoping to get around by bus, preferably)? Is it better to fly into Auckland or Wellington? What are my options if due to bad weather can't do skiing for a day?
    Mt Hutt is the second option I am considering.
    Or is at the end the best to stick to Queesntown?
    I am intermediate to advanced skier, don't care about night life, restaurants, etc. Cheep accommodation is an extra plus.
    Looking forward to hearing from all the experts out there.

essjaywhy likes this.
  2. chrisj

chrisj One of Us
    Ski Pass: Gold

Mount Ruapehu is the big one on the North Island. Worth visiting and quite decent skiing. It's an active volcano and if you're feeling adventurous and energetic, you can climb from the top of the chairlift, about 500 metres up to the rim of the caldera, then ski down. It's about equidistant from Auckland and Wellington. If you are not skiing, there's the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, one of the world's great day walks, though if the weather is bad enough to stop you skiing, the walk would be not so much fun either. We stayed there last October and there was still good snow cover. We stayed at the Chateau Tongariro, which is this grand old Great Gatsby style hotel. It's expensive by NZ standards, but cheap by Oz standards ($200 per night for twin room). I believe there is fairly cheap hostel style accommodation in Whakapapa village. We drove, so not sure about bus services. There is a daily shuttle up to the ski fields, just a few minutes drive. The only night life in Whakapapa village is hanging around the local pub, though they do have the best potato wedges in the universe IMO.

3. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Avoid buses at ruapehu like the plague, Maybe the private transfers would be ok, but i wouldnt touch the ones by the skilift with a 10 foot pole.

4. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

Isn't one of those private buses in a massive legal stoush with Rua co?
    Sounds like a proper bun fight.

My two cents.

I love Rua. Born just down the road. Its epic large mountain that is mammoth in girth and unique in enviroment.
    Personally arriving by Wellington offers a more interesting, albeit more expensive flight. Wellington is a much more interesting city than Auckland as well.
    The drive up from Wellington is simple as .
    I'd stay at Ohakune and ski Turoa . Rather than staying at NP/Whaka.
    Its possible to drive to both hills for a day trip.
    Ohakune is the third best ski town in NZ. Its changed a fair bit in recent times.

essjaywhy, sn0wbunny29, Belly and 3 others like this.
  5. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

We had a great dinner in a Ruapehu room of the Chateau. While staying at the Skotel just up the road.
    Not my pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Belly and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  6. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Go to Ruapehu, definately worth it. Get a hire car, it's only going to cost you $30 a day for basic wheels. It gives you the freedom to ski both sides easily and also the option to do something else if the weather / wind closes the mountain.

7. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

You’ll find that operator has a history of being special the last issue was probably the straw that broke the camels back.

8. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Yeah, Colin. But someone was killed on the lift companies buses last year after the brakes failed so yeah i wouldnt be trusting the buses.

9. pedub

pedub One of Us

Yup
    pretty sad
    Get a car, the roads are good. Much better than down south

That time of season Ruapehu can be epic. Huge terrain. But weekend lift lines are usually sh1t

If you said early August.. definitely southern lakes

10. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

Can’t be completely blamed on the resort if the bus had a current cof or what ever it’s called....

11. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

12. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

Heard a rumour Rua is getting a gondola.True?

13. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

Yeah at Whakapapa.
    From HV to knoll.
    Mid station as well

14. KL.

KL. One of Us

For Papa/Turoa the bad storms can last 4-7 days which means that Papa/Turoa ski areas can be closed during the storm period (highly likely) and that means no skiing. So If you are going for 5-7 days skiing and a bad storm occurs during that time then there is a (very high) possibly of no skiing. The parking at Papa is poor and was a real problem last year, especially because Turoa's 6 seater was damaged and inoperative for nearly the whole season so more people skied Papa.

The Papa gondola is supposed to ready by June (hopefully) and if ready should be a nice addition. West Ridge is the largest ski area at Papa (about 2/3rds of Papa) but it is serviced by 2 very average lifts (a really old short chair and a tbar) which generally only open late morning or more often early afternoon, and is quite open to the weather. If West Ridge is closed then only about 1/3rd of Papa is skiable.

The skiing is more open at Turoa and it has some nice fast & longish cruisy runs (outer limits??? & Triangle) from the top to the car park (If the snow reaches the car park) which are very nice whereas Papa runs tend to funnel together and become easily congested.

There is quite distance by road between Papa and Turoa, with NP (National Park) between them (30mins to Ohakune & 10mins to Papa Village). Turoa ski field is a 20km uphill drive from Ohakune and Papa ski field is a 6km uphill drive from Papa Village. There is little or no night life at Papa or Papa village, a bit at NP (with alot of walking distance between places), and some at Ohakune with generally less walking distances then at NP.

15. KL.

KL. One of Us

Have you tried Treble Cone which is a 20min drive from Wanaka and has nice intermediate/advanced/expert runs? Wanaka is about a 45min drive from Queenstown.

16. KL.

KL. One of Us

if you don't mind rope tows then there is Broken River & Craigeburn (club fields). fly into Christchurch to drive to these two.

17. KL.

KL. One of Us

a couple of others are Ohau, Dobson, Round Hill, and a couple of others. nice to have choices.

18. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

*nutcrackers

19. KL.

KL. One of Us

there is always Rainbow (if there is snow and easy drive from Christchurch) and it has a chair lift.
    Donzah said this was his favourite SI ski area. Donzah, is that still the case?

20. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

Well it is a fave . Thats for sure.
    No chairlift there. Thats gone now. Tbar up the main face.
    Its part of my fave part of NZ. Marlborough.

21. Livo

Livo First Runs

I've never skied at Rainbow, but the Marlborough is also my favourite part of NZ, can't beat it!

As someone mentioned earlier, have you tried out the resorts in Wanaka? You wouldn't get bored spending the week at Cardrona and Treble cone! I think the shuttle to TC was free and Cardies was $30 return or something like that. Not sure what your idea of 'cheap' is in terms of accomodation, but I had a quick peak at Airbnb and saw some private apartments/guest suites for $600-700 a week! I think this very reasonable for NZ standards and Wanaka is sooo beautiful, a close second favourite place in NZ. We stayed in Wanaka for just under a week before heading up to CHCH to see the rellies and wish we had've stayed longer.

In saying that, out of all the resorts we went to that trip, we had the best time in Mt. Hutt! Could've been because we got lucky with the conditions though.

On my next winter NZ trip, I would probably stay in CHCH (you could consider Methven or another small town near there to be closer) and then have the choice of Mt Hutt or the surrounding club fields! Check out http://skitheclubbies.nz/
    I had a look at Airbnb in Methven as well and it looks reasonable!
    After a few days drive up to the Marlborough region, check out Rainbow and enjoy the serenity :cool:

Donzah likes this.
  22. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

Does snow at rainbow (when it wants to)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Belly likes this.
  23. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty

South Island also has these...
    [​IMG]

24. GlenH

GlenH Addicted

Mt Ruapehu is an awesome mountain but it can be plaugued by bad weather which can close it for several days in a row, not something you tend to get in the South Is and never in Oz. However when the sun comes out there is nothing like it in Australia or New Zealand.

As others have mentioned weekend crowds can be awful as half of Auckland & Wellington descends on either side of the mountain (Whakapapa or Turoa).

If you have no car you'll need to check shuttle buses and they can get busy on weekends too.

Ohakune is the main town and is nearest Turoa. National Park is a sleepy village and nearer Whakapapa.

The train from Auckland or Wellington runs 3 days per week (in daylight hours) and stops in both towns. In Ohakune it stops right near the Powderhorn Lodge, highly recommended. However the main shops and most eateries are a couple of km up the road.

https://www.greatjourneysofnz.co.nz/northern-explorer/

You can read about our 4 recent stays in Ohakune through this link:

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/our-2014-trip-to-mt-ruapehu.67992/

25. KL.

KL. One of Us

#25 KL., Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  26. KL.

KL. One of Us

You think so! Unfortunately with Ruapehu there are no real (or rarely ever) powder days due to the wind which beats the snow to death and compacts it.

SI BR/CB combination sounds good although rope tows dampen the excitement.

SI TC/Mortatapu Chutes/Holywood & further over is very nice, especially with fresh powder snow, although the long walk up & out dampens the excitement

27. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

28. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us

You're an intermediate so stick to the commercial fields... (club fields such as Craigieburn are not groomed)

Expect to lose 20% of your days in NZ due to high winds. Shutt is so-called for a reason, but try to go there if you can. Also Porters is worthy, alongside Treble Cone, Cardrona and Ohau

29. Gimp

Gimp One of Us

I hear Rainbow is going to have a couple of ace patrollers there this season, go Tracey.

30. KL.

KL. One of Us

Does anybody know how the High Noon chair (Turoa) repair is progressing? Will it be ready and running this season?

Does anybody know how the Gondola (Papa) build is progressing? Will it be ready and running this season?

31. GlenH

GlenH Addicted

We've had some memorably (good) days at Mt Ruapehu but after 4 visits concluded it is too risky weather wise to visit from Oz, in winter at least. Some say spring is the time to go but I've had closures then too, although some magical days as well.

Yes, see: https://help.mtruapehu.com/hc/en-us...e-High-Noon-Express-be-operating-this-winter-

32. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

ski the SIs thru Winter,
    buy a flexi domestic air ticket to Akl to then ski Rua in the fine windows thru October.

33. KL.

KL. One of Us

Received the following reply from the Taupo Depot Customer Relations Team
    • The High Noon Express [Turoa] is all fixed and ready to go for this winter.
    • The Gondola [Papa] is also due to be up and running for 1st June. You can find updates of the gondola construction at: https://www.mtruapehu.com/gondola.
    • The gondola will not have a mid station and will take you directly up to the Knoll Ridge Chalet. The 1.8km trip from the base station to the Knoll Ridge Chalet (accommodation or cafe???) will take approximately 5.01 mins.
    Since they are spending all that money, shame they didn't make Knoll Ridge Chalet a mid station and continue the gondola upto the same height (or higher) as the Knoll Tbar

GlenH, where are you skiing this season?

34. KL.

KL. One of Us

what is SIs?

does 'fine windows' mean fine days/periods? unfortunately, available periods of time is always an issue!

35. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

southern lakes

36. GlenH

GlenH Addicted